PDA

View Full Version : It was 10 years Ago

catmandu
04-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Tahat I had to have my very first Cat , Pouncer the Perfect put down. she had a bad heart and a collapsed lung and the Vet said that she could never live a normal life. I was so self involved in finding work at the time , that I didnt notice how ill she was. I still feel quilty , as if I had taken her in on time , she could have been helped. As hard as it is to beleive I didnt notice that she lost a lot of weight , wasnt eating or that her tonque had turned blue. The vet gave me hell for being so obtuse and I have tried ever since to be more careful. It is a shame that my little pal , my little Pouncer had to die because I was not a good Guardian , and I pray that where ever she is , Pouncer is happy and that she can forgive me for the way things turned out, she died too young at 9 , and there is not a day that I dont think of her.

ramanth
04-30-2003, 09:54 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Her symptoms sounded serious. There was probably nothing you could of done. Don't beat yourself up over it. Pouncer is in a happy place now.

*hugs*

HayleyRosie
04-30-2003, 11:00 AM
I'm am so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure Pouncer knows you loved her. It sounds like she had a real serious illness. Don't feel bad. I'm also sure that Pouncer is at the Rainbow Bridge right now, happy and healthy.

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-30-2003, 11:41 AM
They say that hindsight is a perfect science, and I am sure that all of us have things that, given an opportunty, we would do differently. However is DOES sound like Pouncer had a pretty serious illness, so I do question how much you could have done......

I honestly think that it is enough that you gave Pouncer a great 9 years (lots of cats have unhappy lives, and die much younger than that).

Pouncer obviously had a place to fill as a little kitten angel - she will be playing with the other kitties, and never feeling any pain, ever again.

Hugs from me and Ally cat.

jenluckenbach
05-01-2003, 06:06 AM
RIP little Pouncer. Please send a sign to your dad to let him know that you do not blame him. Cats are very good at hiding illness, and even if there were some signs that you might have missed, they probably came too late for REAL help any way. 9 may not seem like a lot of years, but 9 years of being loved is better than 20 years of being neglected, ignored or abused.

PayItForward
05-01-2003, 06:55 AM
RIP Pouncer. May he be happy at RB.

Orginally posted by JenLuckenBach
9 years of being loved is better than 20 years of being neglected, ignored or abused.

I so agree. A very happy 9 years is preferally to a long unhappy abused life.

IttyBittyKitty
05-01-2003, 07:53 AM
That Catmandu could ever, ever be cruel to a cat or ignorant of the cat's needs! It was probably a serious illness, as mentioned above, and it wasn't very nice of the vet to chew you out like that (but I guess that vet must see many, many cases of real neglect each and every day) Furthermore, cats have an uncanny sense of sympathy and Pouncer probably knew you were stressed out about looking for work - and thus hid her symptoms.

Pouncer would have enjoyed nine years of love and affection and I just bet that she misses you, but is happy to play with all her friends at RB :)

catmandu
05-01-2003, 09:33 AM
The fact was that at the time , I was not an informed owner. I came from atime when Cats were just there and you didnt have to do anything special! When I was at home , there were no litterboxes , the Cats were let out to do thier business. The fact that most were killed by cars was considerd a fact of life , and we never considered keeping them in , until my Mother adopted Missy , who was deaf. she lived to be 15 , much longer than the previuos Cats. I just wish I knew then what I know now, andPouncer might still be with me. praying that Pouncer understands my ignorance , I hope that when we meet again , our love will be there still!

HayleyRosie
05-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
I hope that when we meet again , our love will be there still!

I'm sure your love will still be there. Don't worry about that.

Edwina's Secretary
05-01-2003, 10:40 AM
Catmandu...I have it on very good authority that Pouncer know how much you loved her and that you cared for her the best you knew at the time! She is healthy now and looks forward to your reunion!

Kirsten
05-01-2003, 12:44 PM
I'm so sorry! :( These memories come back year by year, I'm going through the same right now with my RB-kitty Katz.

Don't feel bad, cats doesn't make it easy for us to realize they're not doing well, especially when you're not an experienced cat owner.

When I had my first cat, Aysche, I also didn't notice for a long time how sick she was (FIP). I learned about her disease the day I had to put her to sleep.

RIP, little Pouncer

Kirsten