PDA

View Full Version : sudden algae problem!

Kater
04-29-2003, 07:44 PM
In my dorm room, right here next to my computer lives Squirt, my betta splenden in his individual Eclipse System 6 Tank. Squirt resembles FloppsyLadySally89's Aqua in coloration.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p902c3ce600de1982b9698519d93ac091/fc3eb6fa.jpg

Previously I never added anything to the water except dechlorinator to neutralize the chlorine and chloramines in tap water. However, at some point in early March I noticed Squirt acting unwell. My first instinct was to clean his tank, change the charcoal filter and then order some medicines online. His condition didn't improve right away so I was worried about the medicines making it in time. However, they came within a few days and he had begun to perk up again. In light of this I decided to try the less invasive approach and didn't whip out the antibiotics just yet. So per directions I added "Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt for Freshwater Fish" and "NovAqua Conditioner & Fish Protector" and hoped he would get back to his normal self. Within two days he seemed fine and I was happy to save the antibiotics for another day.

The problem is that green alga has suddenly taken over the tank!!! :eek: Before I used to get a little bit around the fringes between cleanings but now it takes only a few days after cleaning for algae to cover two sides and the gravel. What do you think is causing this? The only change I made was the aquarium salt and conditioner. Is this what is causing it? If so, what can I do?

The weather has also warmed up and the average tank temperature has gone from 77-80F to 85-86F. Could this be contributing to the problem?

I need help in my battle against the green slime!!!!

Cisco's Mom
04-29-2003, 08:31 PM
I would have to say that if you had a break out of algae within a few days that maybe your nitrogen cycle is out of wack. Maybe due to your thorough cleaning and the rise in temp. Has the light that reaches the tank any stronger or last any longer than usual? I don't think the salt or the conditioner is the problem. I always keep an algae eater in all my tanks. They come in many sizes and shapes. Here is a link to an article on algae that may help. Good luck! :)

http://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html

Kater
04-29-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the helpful link!:)

Yeah I didn't think it made sense that the salt and conditioner would cause it.

So I'm thinking its the combination of warmer temperatures and more sunlight. This makes total sense especially since it started on the two sides closest to the window.

Thanks again Cisco's Mom!

Cisco's Mom
04-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Your WELCOME!!:eek: