PDA

View Full Version : Dog Groomer

sarashous
07-03-2000, 08:53 AM
I took my dog, Baxter, to the groomer's on Saturday. He loves Valerie and loves going to see her. When I picked Baxter up, he seemed fine and had his usual bandana on. In the car, I noticed that his hair had been cut really short, and was patchy in some places. I got the instant feeling that Valerie didn't do Baxter personally, which is fine. This morning, Baxter removed his bandana by himself, and I noticed scratch/cut marks all around his neck. I am positive that the marks are a result of his groomer. Does anyone know what electric razor marks look like? And has this ever happened to anyone else? What should I do?

Kate
07-04-2000, 10:53 AM
I would call Valerie immediately and let her know what has happened. I would also take Baxter back so she can see for herself what you are talking about.I'm sure that Valerie would want to know if one of her employees isn't doing a good job, not to mention hurting one of the dogs.

DogMa
07-08-2000, 11:22 PM
OUCH! I own a grooming shop and hate to hear of such problems. Valerie should know ASAP that your dog is hurting. It is difficult to find/train good groomers but putting on a bandana wont fix the problem. You should have been notified of the nicks so you could watch them for problems. Clipper nicks can take on several patterns. It can be four or five rows together of what looks like a fork scratching. If a mat has gotten cought in the clipper, it can be just a gouge out of the skin. But, be understanding of Valeries delimma. Dogs do move and groomers do make mistakes. We work with clippers, sissors, nail cutters, and a slew of sharp objects to remove mats etc. Sometimes things just happen. We wouldnt be in the business if we didnt love dogs. Take it from that angle when you speak to her.
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
DogMa

karen israel
07-27-2000, 07:09 AM
How timely!! Since we're on the subject of dog grooming...I took Cody my lab/ret mix to the same groomer since he was about 2-just for a wash. So for 6 years, the groomer was warned not to touch his nails (he only lets the vet cut them)To make a very long story short, he was more uncooperative than ever during his last visit - I have no idea what happened, of course it's the dog's fault according to the groomer-so now, since the poor thing associates it as a bad experience, I need to wash him myself. I don't mind but, the thought of using a garden hose with cold water really upsets me. Does anyone know of an affective, nontoxic waterless shampoo? I've seen many in magazines but have had no experience with them. Any suggestions on outdoor washing (hot weather of course). Thanks everyone.

dominoe
07-27-2000, 10:54 AM
don't wash them in cold water.. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif
i wash my guys in the tub..one is a dalmatian puppy and the other is a mixed breed.. they are both arounnd 40 pounds, they won't get in the tub on their own..but after i get them in there they are fine.. i never tried the waterless shampoos, but i had a friend that did,and she said they work just fine...
if you just clean out the tub afterwards, i see no problem with washing them in there...

dogncatluvr
07-27-2000, 12:38 PM
I sometimes wash my Labs in the kiddie pool outside. I fill it with water and add a few pails of hot water from inside so that the water will not be cold. I have a few pails of lukewarm water ready for the rinse step. They don't mind at all. In the winter I wash them in the bathtub/shower with a hand-held shower attachment. Have fun!

karen israel
07-28-2000, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. He loves the kiddie pool so I will give it a try, buckets and all. He's not too keen on getting into the tub (he has a problem getting out and I can't lift him)Is it safe to wash him while he is shedding so bad? Any suggestions on what shampoo to use? He has no skin problems or allergies. His hair is longer than that of a lab, not quite as long as a G.R. i have no clue what the groomer used.

dogncatluvr
07-28-2000, 12:25 PM
If your dog is shedding brush him first, to remove as much of the loose hair as possible. I do not have a matting problem with my dogs, but those need to be removed first also.
The shampoo I use is a tearless one and very gentle to their skin. (I also wash my cats with this shampoo.) Just do not use human shampoo! It is not the proper pH for dogs. If you wish to know the brand you can e-mail me.