PDA

View Full Version : Do you brush your dogs teeth?

wolfsoul
04-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Timber's teeth have been brushed since she was a pup. :)

Leather never used to have her teeth brushed, but the vet said she has to have them done every day now, because of her inflamed gums :eek:

Do you brush your dogs teeth too? :)

micki76
04-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Almost every day. Millie is getting hers cleaned at he vets tomorrow. :( (Hers were so gross when we got her.)

My Westie, Stolly used to let me scale his teeth while lying in my lap on the couch. He'd see me open the drawer where I kept the scaler and he'd go crazy! :eek: He loved it. Weirdo.

primabella
04-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Micvkey just got in all his teeth so my mom bought the brush and toothpaste. We'll be brushing them really soon. :) I don't plan to really brush them everyday...maybe once a week.

My mom's dog never had her teeth brushed and lost at least 2 to gingivitis. :(

Cisco's Mom
04-29-2003, 07:08 PM
I try to do Cisco's everyday. Sometimes I miss a day, but I never miss more than a day at a time. Growing up we never brushed are family dogs teeth, but I was told that these little dogs are prone to have problems.:( So I really try hard to keep his brushed!:)

Cookiebaker
04-29-2003, 07:23 PM
I try to brush Malone's teeth on a regular basis....notice the word *try*. Every Saturday (or Sunday or Monday) he gets his ears cleaned (he says EWWWWwwww!), his teeth brushed, his toenails chopped (affectionately called tobnobs :)), and a full brushing. Now that we are in spring, we are incorporating baths every few weeks as well.

Cincy'sMom
04-29-2003, 07:27 PM
We don't use toothpaste, but we do use Nolvadent solution a few times a week. Our vet said it was easier to use and worked better....

Cheshirekatt
04-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Saturday night is our regular doggie beauty parlor night around here. Ears, teeth and toenails.

primabella
04-29-2003, 07:43 PM
My mom cleaned Mickey's ears today and my brother put a Q-tip up his nose :rolleyes: Mickey is pretty good with the neail clipping. It's the brushing that gets to him. he hates knowing something is going up and down his back - he tries to eat it :p

tikeyas_mom
04-29-2003, 07:50 PM
I dont brush Tikeyas teeth everyday. I brush them like whenever her breath starts to really smell. Then I get out the steak flavored tooth paist and her Pikachu tooth brush and floss. and yup you know what comes next :D..

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-29-2003, 08:06 PM
Drake gets his teeth brushed everyday. We have been doing that since he was a puppy. He is almost 3 years old and has gorgeous pearly white and it really help keep his breath fresh!

MaxandSpike'sMom
04-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Max is 15 adn doesn't have many teeth in the front left. I do brush his when he will let met but that's not too often.

Spike on the other hand loves to have his teeth brushed and forget about the"doggie" toothpaste. He loves Crest with Scope. He has his own toothbrush on the sink with the rest of the family and when my son brushes his teeth he also does Spikes.

kai
04-29-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by primabella
My mom cleaned Mickey's ears today and my brother put a Q-tip up his nose :rolleyes: Mickey is pretty good with the neail clipping. It's the brushing that gets to him. he hates knowing something is going up and down his back - he tries to eat it :p

LOL Q-tip? Kai was kinda like mickey about the brushing when he was really young. I started brushing him everyday and giving him a treat at the end. Now, it's a regular daily thing.

As for the brushing...Kai gets it done maybe 2 times a week..I'm trying to do it more often and eventually to everyday but he's a pain to brush. We have a really liquidy toothpaste which he gobbles up in an instant...so instead of actually brushing his teeth, i end up brushing his tongue cuz he'll be licking it. He's getting better but it's still a two man job w/me and my brother.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-29-2003, 09:02 PM
We do the doggie beauty parlor on Saturdays, too, lol! Sadie loves the attention!

LOL, Primabella, poor Mickey!:D

I try to brush Sadie's teeth on a regular basis. I use the Drs. Foster & Smith baking soda doggie thoothpaste.:)

gkristian
04-30-2003, 01:49 AM
Well i do want to brush Foxy's teeth but i don't know what king of tooth brush and toothpaste to get. When i was reseaching Shelties it said not to brush their teeth with normal toothpaste.

Cheshirekatt
04-30-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by gkristian
Well i do want to brush Foxy's teeth but i don't know what king of tooth brush and toothpaste to get. When i was reseaching Shelties it said not to brush their teeth with normal toothpaste.

You're absolutely correct. Toothpaste wasn't meant to be swallowed. You should get something from your vet or I use CET poultry flavor for my dogs and they love it. You can either buy a doggie toothbrush or use a baby toothbrush. :)