PDA

View Full Version : Why do Dogs eat grass?

MaxandSpike'sMom
04-29-2003, 10:56 AM
I don't know if it is just because they like it or if they are happy to see grass since this winter lasted so long. But all of a sudden Max and Spike are eating grass. They don't vomit (gross, I know, sorry) after they eat it either. (I once heard that they eat grass because their tummy's hurt)
Max hasn't eaten grass in, I can't even remember the last time I saw him eat grass, I was thinking maybe he is eating grass because Spike is eating it. And maybe it is a puppy thing. It has been a while since we had a puppy in the house. :p

ramanth
04-29-2003, 10:59 AM
I think it could be either that they like it or their tummy hurts.

Kia has eaten grass and then been sick and sometimes not.

As long as I'm sure the grass hasn't been treated with chemicals, then I let her eat it.

lovemyshiba
04-29-2003, 12:19 PM
I have found Abbey chomping on grass a few times lately too.
I remember when Spike (beagle, RB) used to eat it, it usually meant he was going to throw up, but Abbey seemed to enjoy it, and wasn't sick either.

So Max is copying Spike--that's funny:D

Tina
04-29-2003, 12:25 PM
My dogs have been eating it some too since it's been nice here and the grass is green again. I haven't seen them get sick yet so they must just like it.

Logan
04-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Mine graze like cattle sometime, but we never have a throw up problem, thank goodness!!! :) I always heard it was a tummy thing too, but I really think they are just tempted by that thick, green grass!!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Drake is a grazer too!! He loves eating the tall grass on the trail we jog on every morning.

Cincy'sMom
04-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Cincy will sometimes run around the yard furiously licking at/eating grass, dirt, etc. to make her self sick.

Other times (esp. when we go tot he Dog Park in BG) all the dog like to eat the grass and don't get sick. My mom said she has heard that some grass, is a "sweet grass" and this seems to be what they are looking for.

puppygrrl4eva7
04-29-2003, 03:24 PM
yea sometimes Ringo eats grass and he eats the cats poo too eeeewwwwwwww !!!!!!!!! i just try to guide him away from it:rolleyes:

bnormal
04-29-2003, 04:11 PM
my boys are always eating grass! In fact, look at the pics....maybe they wish they would have been horses instead?

Rachel
04-29-2003, 07:23 PM
Sometimes Hannah will run frantically to the door and scratch at it. I let her out thinking she has to *go* but instead she runs over to a patch of grass to eat it. It reminds me of when I need a TUMS.

KYS
04-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Rocky and Sheba only seem to graze mostly
when their tummy's bothers them and then
they throw up. :(
Rocky's seems to have a sensitive tummy and
he also has gas. :rolleyes:

primabella
04-29-2003, 08:47 PM
I was thinking maybe dogs ate grass to help them digest their food. I think I'm relating them to cows :rolleyes:

bnormal, your dogs are beautiful! I just love dobies.

kai
04-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Kai eats grass like a cattle too! I'll take him out for a pee...and right after the pee, he chomps on grass.

kingrattus
04-29-2003, 10:52 PM
I have noticed 3 reasons why Max eats grass.

1. His tummy is upset & he barfs.
2. His bowels r upset & he will eat so much that all he poops out is intangled grass
3. he likes to nibble on it too.

Max has a barf/pee/poo mat infront of the back door.. if he makes a boo boo he'll do it on the mat cause he knows we'll ast like nothing happened, but he learned a harsh lesson about peeing where ever he likes too last fall.. Dad caught him peeing in the main hall for no reason, so dad fermly shook him by the scruff & he hasn't peed on the floor since.. yay!!

doglovrforevr
04-29-2003, 11:12 PM
I don't know why but Rusty always trys to eat the grass when he is bored:rolleyes:

gkristian
04-30-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by primabella
I was thinking maybe dogs ate grass to help them digest their food. I think I'm relating them to cows :rolleyes:

bnormal, your dogs are beautiful! I just love dobies.

I thought the same thing. Some people say that dogs eat grass when they are sick

anna_66
04-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Angus & Roxey usually only eat grass when they have upset tummies. But Huney just seems to like it:) In the kennel the grass is tall & she'll go in there and get a bite or two and come back out!

lute
04-30-2003, 11:58 AM
beanie eats grass all the time. he just did it today....he doesn't throw it up. he's like a cow. he goes outside uses the bathroom then eats grass.you can even feed it to him like a horse.

NYCbabi 13002
04-30-2003, 12:26 PM
ok...Dogs eat grass, because:

1. They feel something is wrong with their body (sickness,aching, ect.), so they eat grass and it either makes the dog throw up or digest the problem. After wards they feel much better, grass makes it "smoother"

2. They are hungry, or like grass
3. lonley or want to play

Take it from a second year vet :)