PDA

View Full Version : Medical sensitivities

Kira
06-27-2000, 12:16 AM
I'm curious to find out from other dog owners who have medical problems - are your animals sensitive to your condition? The reason I ask is that my hubby has a seizure condition and both our dogs are able to sense when he's going to have a seizure and they stick close to him and won't let him up. This is not the first dogs we've had that have done this, and it's not something we taught them. It amazes me...

06-28-2000, 10:12 PM
My oldest son was responsive to my depression and panic attacks and I'm told by my husband any other conditions that hit me. Syren (put down due to cancer) would run to my husband even if he wasn't in the room with me and then to me and sit by me until I was back in control again. To me he was my Guardian Angel because there were some times I needed him there when I was alone and I know if he wasn't there to lick my face as I came out I'd be lost. I miss him SO much! I wish your husband and dawgie the best together http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
Please Help Me To Be Half The Human My Kritters Think I Am!

[This message has been edited by Kaleigh-Gray & Kritters (edited June 28, 2000).]

carrie
10-22-2000, 04:45 PM
Hi,
Dogs in the UK and the US are now being trained to detect the onset of epileptic seizures and diabetic hyper and hypo situations. Many people have reported their dogs reaction to their illness or condition but it is only fairly recently that such dogs have had this "sixth sense" exploited and encouraged.
It is, however, still a mystery how these dogs detect something amiss. Theories include subtle physical changes in the owner such as tiny tremors or a slight increase in sweat production not detectable by the owner or other people or subtle changes in body odour.
Whatever the signs to the dog it is another example of how much we still have to learn about these truly incredible creatures.