PDA

View Full Version : Leash Coupler Needs Warning Label...

ParNone
04-28-2003, 09:20 PM
I tried out the leash coupler with Murph and Oz tonight and I
think I shoulda practiced 'fore we headed out. Or at least
turned back, when I could tell things weren't going too well.
Oz kept getting in the way of Murph trying to pee on things,
so Murph would try to cross behind him and that would wrap
the leash around Oz's butt, pulling it down to sit on Murph.

They seemed like they were getting a lil' more coordinated with
it, so we kept going. We started walking down the sidewalk
next to where the GSD lives. We normally walk on the sidewalk
across the street from him, so I wasn't thinking too much about
it. Well the GSD literally hurled himself at the fence, growling and snarling. Oz
took off in a panic in front of me and Murph took off like a shot
behind me. It all happened so fast, I didn't have time to brace
myself, so they managed to sweep my legs out from under
me. One ankle turned as I was going down. I was falling
back towards Murph, but I managed to get a hand down to
try to keep from squishing him, scraping my hand and arm on
the concrete. I ended up squishing him just a tad anyway
though, so he yelped and snapped at the closest thing to him
causing the pain, which just so happened to be my head. He
didn't break the skin though, so I think he was just trying to
communicate that I was hurting him.

Anyway, after we untangled ourselves, we hobbled home. Murph
seems to be fine, but I think I may have to ice my ankle tonight.

They really need to put a warning label on that coupler.:)

Par...

wolf_Q
04-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Ouch! That sounds painful! Surprisingly enough, with my walk and the couple with Reggie and Nebo, we ran by several dogs (including some off-leash ones) and we had some confusion, but nothing like that! Of course, Nebo had the halti on too, so he couldn't really bolt! Hope you and the doggies are ok!

lovemyshiba
04-28-2003, 10:45 PM
I hope you are ok--wow, definitely sounds like me trying to walk Abbey and Kito together!!! What a mess!! They always get tangled and have managed to almost knock me down a few times. Abbey knocked me over once in the house--I said OUCH so loud, she ran away.
I hope your ankle is feeling better soon, and that Murph and Oz weren't too traumatized by the situation.

KYS
04-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Wow! You did have a hair raising experience.
Hope your ankle is feeling better.

anna_66
04-29-2003, 06:36 AM
How is everyone feeling today? Hope your leg doesn't hurt too bad.

We went for a walk last night and had the girls on their coupler, for some reason they just couldn't get in sync:rolleyes: I got the "look" from Roxey a few times. I think she was saying "Geez mom, look at her....she won't stay on her own side!":p

ramanth
04-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Oh my!!! I hope your ankle is feeling better and I hope Murph is not so squished. ;) :)

I definately would of paniced. (I'm a big baby :D )

ParNone
04-29-2003, 03:20 PM
hey ya'll!!!

Everybody's doing great today.. Ankle's a lil' sore, but not
swollen, so we may try again tonight, if it doesn't rain.

Maybe with some practice, they can get in sync with each other.
Right now, Oz either is walking too slow for Murph or if Murph
goes to mark something, Oz takes off, while Murph is in mid leg
lift. So Murph is like Roxey with the look, only I think his more
along the lines of "Can't we just leave him at home?":)

Par...

micki76
04-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
Maybe with some practice, they can get in sync with each other.Right now, Oz either is walking too slow for Murph or if Murph goes to mark something, Oz takes off, while Murph is in mid leg lift.

Oh, Chester sympathizes! Millie does that to him all the time, which is ok if we've been walking a bit and he's on empty. The first couple of tinkles usually get sprayed everywhere, though. :rolleyes: :eek:

Glad you're both ok. :)

tatsxxx11
04-29-2003, 06:22 PM
I feel for you, Oz and Murph!!!!! As they say, been there, done that!:D I tired that with Star and Cody ONCE! What a disaster! Hope your ankle continues to improve; poor squished pups!

Corinna
04-29-2003, 07:13 PM
Sounds like you need a brace lead. It's for walking two dogs together. I'm having one made for my two. I have to have a special one made the size difference be tween a Newf and a springer is a problem.
You hook it on the collars then you hook the leash to it . one leash and the dogs can't move around each other. I have the better trained (Merlin) on the outside so I can correct the other(lady) . Works great. I can control both and not get tripped up. You might look in to one.

Rachel
04-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Coupler didn't work for us either. My two medium dogs now equaled one powerhouse!

ParNone
04-30-2003, 08:59 AM
Hola!

Hummmm... I might look into the brace. Although I've a friend,
who thinks I just need to go back to 2 leashes. We really didn't
do that bad on 2 leashes, because neither are pullers and Oz
normally walks more or less beside me and Murph walks about 6
feet in front me. I was just thinking it'd be easier if I didn't have
2 leashes to worry about, but that didn't seem to be the case.
And I'm pretty sure Murph prefers not to be pulled around by
the whims of a 65lb Collie.

Par...

Sudilar
04-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Killian and Shiloh work perfectly as a team with the coupler from day one. Shiloh waits while Killi marks. LOL

Good luck!

ParNone
04-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Ah you lucked out Sudilar:) Murph and Oz have totally different
agendas on a walk. Murph's is to try and pee on everything
he passes. Oz is still a squatter and is baffled by the need
to mark anything. He just wants to be moving and gets bored
if we stay in one spot for more than 2 seconds.

Par...

lovemyshiba
04-30-2003, 04:44 PM
:o I am a little embarrassed--where exactly does one find a leash coupler?? I have looked at Petco, and at our local pet store, and I can't find one! I'm getting tired of making three trips out every time one has to go to the bathroom, and now that it's nicer I would like to take longer walks, but 3 leashes is too many!!!!
Corrinna--I am also interested in the brace--where would I find that??

ParNone
04-30-2003, 06:30 PM
Hi lovemyshiba!

I found the coupler at PetSmart. It was next to the collars and
leashes. They didn't have very many and they're kind of mixed
in with all the collars and leashes, so you have to look kind of
close to find one.

Par...

Corinna
04-30-2003, 06:39 PM
Most of the pet stores carry them, I have to have a local harness maker do mine as to the size differance in my to kids.

micki76
04-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
:o I am a little embarrassed--where exactly does one find a leash coupler?? I have looked at Petco, and at our local pet store, and I can't find one! I'm getting tired of making three trips out every time one has to go to the bathroom, and now that it's nicer I would like to take longer walks, but 3 leashes is too many!!!!
Corrinna--I am also interested in the brace--where would I find that??

The couplers are available online at Petsmart.com or drsfostersmith.com

Cincy'sMom
04-30-2003, 08:59 PM
I got mine at Petco.

I have only used it twice..once with sadie and Cincy, which went pretty well, except at the time the side walk was a little icy, which made me nervous :) The other time, was with Sadie and Spot and they did very well together....they both like to mark, yet surprsingly avoided each other. I have yet to try all three dogs on the same walk alone though :)

Cinder & Smoke
05-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Confuzed?? :confused:

Here's a couple pictures of the "Coupler" thingy...

"Two-Dog Coupler" (http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_15549.shtml)
"two and :eek: THREE-Dog Couplers" (http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_2.shtml)

We offen use our "Coupler" connected to our Chain Choke collars - when we're *supposed* to be on our best behavior - like draggin Dad thru da Pet Store. Keeps us close enuff together that we don't try to run down different aisles inna store!

When we'ze all out inna Wide Opin Spaces...
we usually get ta wear our Y-Thingy that Dad made wiffa piece of 1/4" rope an two dawg snaps ~
Rope is about 6-7 feet long;
wiffa *snap* tied on each end;
then da rope hazza *knot* inna center to form a lil *loop* ~
and dat's were Dad'z Leash or "Long Line" hooks on.

We get da most *ex-citing* resultz when we uze da "Long-Line" ~
nudder ropey wiff one *snap* on our end anna hand-loop tied onna udder end fur Dad. It'z 'bout 30 footz long... (the Long-Line snapper hooks to the lil Loop in the center of da Y-Thingy)
... so we wind up wiff Dad hangin onta two dawggiez, seperated by about 6 foots a rope, and 30 some feet out there frum Dad...

BOY! :D Kan we have sum *PHUNN* wiff DAT set-up!
We'ze told a lotta Tailz bout the *walks*?? we take on that rig - allua jumpin an skippin ober da moving ropez - an how we kan boff circle round Dad'z legbonez (each Dawg goin inna different :eek: direction) ~ 36 feet a rope wound around hiz leggz takes a minnit or three to un-snarl!

Dad getz reelee Karnkee :mad: when we boff run upta him - then go on *oppizit sides* of hiz legbonez! :eek: Dat "Y-Thingy" rope must **hurt** when it smacks hiz shin-bonez!

Onlee "problem" we have uzin da "Y-Thingy" iz when each Dawg goez onna different side uvva TREE = :eek:! We do a *hed-BOINK* inta each udder - or wunna us *BOINKz* inta da tree... (ouwch!)

We member sumbuddie's MawMee tellin bout uzin a Y-Thingy an gettin a *Hed-BOINK* (da MAWMEE did) kuz she wuz runnin too close to da Dawgz when dey split on differnt sides uvva tree... :o