PDA

View Full Version : Tatoo in ear?

primabella
04-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Okay, my friend just got a new dog yesterday. He's a white Boxer with dark blue eyes (he has passed the tests and is not deaf :)) Anyway, we were talking about him a bit and I asked if he was tatooed. She told me no because white boxers aren't recognized by the CKC ect... Then I mentionned that Mickey has one in his ear and she told me that she heard that getting a tatoo in the ear isn't good for them. I was pretty surprised because the breeder (who knows her stuff) gave him the tatoo.

Is this true? Is a tatoo in the ear bad for them? Thanks!

ramanth
04-28-2003, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure.

I think Simba has a tatoo in his ear.

I also think some shelters tatoo... so it's not just breeders.

primabella
04-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Oh yes, I thought that shelters tatooed...I'm just wondering about the ear part. Thanks anyways :)

Kfamr
04-28-2003, 03:35 PM
Hehe yup, Simba has a "S" in his ear.. have no idea where he got it or why, but we just say it stand for Simba :p

primabella
04-28-2003, 03:36 PM
lol Mickey's says PJ and then a bunch of numbers :p

So I guess its safe..?

lizbud
04-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Prima,

I found this about the Canadian Kennel Club;

Many breeders tattoo their litters. These numbers are registered with the Canadian Kennel Club. This number consists of the breeders kennel number, the litter number and the puppies number in order of birth. These numbers can fade as the puppy grows and the skin stretches. Your local veterinarian can arrange to do a tattoo for you and your pet. The usual sites for these tattoos are on the lip, ear, and stomach.

Maybe it's for the breeder's info & tracing.

tikeyas_mom
04-28-2003, 03:47 PM
I seen a dog and a cat get tattooed, at the vet. it was neat. I think it is just to identify the animal and where it lived.

KYS
04-28-2003, 07:00 PM
This is going to sound horrible, but when I had Sheba tatooed, the tatoo lady mentioned, Dog theives might cut off an ear to
get rid of the tatoo.

She preferred to tatoo on the inner thigh, near the tummy
because of this.

Other than that I can not think of any reason why
not to tatoo in the ear. THey do it for other animals.

primabella
04-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
The usual sites for these tattoos are on the lip, ear, and stomach.

That's all I needed to know. Thanks :)

Karen - That's terrible! :(

wolfsoul
04-28-2003, 07:30 PM
Leather has a tatoo in her ear. She got it at the same time she was spayed AND had her tumor removed lol. It's faded a bit, but not really, and you can definatly make out the numbers. And the tattoo hasn't caused any health problems :)

Kfamr
04-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Lol.... If anyone came near Simba trying to cut off his ear i don't think they'd survive:p

Blustang24
04-28-2003, 10:50 PM
Cleatus has a tatoo in his ear. It is also an "S".

KayAnn-- It's a symbol for the SPCA.