PDA

View Full Version : Poor Tibby

Uabassoon
04-28-2003, 02:50 PM
Today in an earlier thread I wrote about how both my cats had cold and went to the vet this morning. Well while I was there my vet discovered that Tibby is blind. Which explains to much to me, like why she is unable to jump onto things, and why she is a little unresponsive, and a few of her other very loveable quirks. Her pupils also don't dilate like a normal cat. My roommate and I for the longest time were convinsed that she was just a little slow. But at least now I know what the problem is and I can help her. She's not 100% blind, but her retnas (I think that's the eye part he said) shake so she is unable to focus on objects but she can still see that they are there.

Here are a few pictures, you can kind of see how her pupils are large. In these pictures they are actually a little smaller than normal, but like I said they don't shrink as much as they do on other cats.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p3c92e9427e3f37b4084bda07fbf85db7/fc40fae7.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p42d9f1f37940c6359570a765eee07bfd/fc40fae9.jpg

ramanth
04-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Oh my! Poor Tibby. :(

But like you said, at least you know for sure now what is wrong so you'll be able to help her better.

Give both your fur kids a hug for me.

2kitties
04-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Poor kitty. The saddest thing about her limited vision is that she can't see just how incredibly beautiful she is! I'm glad you know the problem now and can give her the special care she needs.

Uabassoon
04-28-2003, 04:28 PM
I told my best friend about how I found out Tibby was partially blind and she said "that's why Corkscrew helps her so much." I never really thought about it, but I think that he does. Everytime she meows he always stops what he's doing to go check on her and most of the time she'll start to follow him after that. Do you think that he was able to know that she couldn't see and needs his help or is it just coincidental?

bluekat
04-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Aww, poor Tibby. But at least now you know what's wrong and you could help her out. I think that the other cat knows this, and its good that he helps her too:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-28-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I told my best friend about how I found out Tibby was partially blind and she said "that's why Corkscrew helps her so much." I never really thought about it, but I think that he does. Everytime she meows he always stops what he's doing to go check on her and most of the time she'll start to follow him after that. Do you think that he was able to know that she couldn't see and needs his help or is it just coincidental?

Wow, I can't believe this - what a coincidence. It's a long story, but I was at a friends this weekend. They had two dogs - Zoe, a big old rottweiler softy about 10/11 years old, and Sadie, a chocolate lab mix about 11/12 years old. They just recently had to put Zoe down because they found she had an aggressive cancer and the vet didn't even think she would make it through the weekend which they were hoping she would so they could bring her home and say good bye to her. Well, after Zoe was gone, Sadie was totally confused. Seems she took all her cues from Zoe - when Zoe went out, Sadie went out. Zoe would pee and Sadie would pee in the same spot, Zoe would run around the yard and Sadie would follow. Zoe would bark at the neighbors and Sadie would follow suit - but not usually bark on her own. They had the hardest time getting her to go out once Zoe didn't come home to lead the way, and when they did finally get her out she didn't know what to do out there. Now I guess they've gotten her into a routine that she is comfortable with, but if you break from the routine she gets all confused and doesn't have a clue what is expected of her. She seems to be completely healthy, so the vet said it was just doggy alzheimers. But maybe she can't see that well either - and the more I think about her actions, the more I think this might be it! When she comes upon stairs, she kind of stumbles until she gets a feel for them which would indicate to me that she didn't know the stairs were there because she couldn't see them, not that she forgot how to use them. I'll have to give them a call tonight and see what they think about this theory. They love Sadie dearly since she is the last living link to my friend's sister who died of a brain aneurism 5 years ago.

If it turns out she is partially blind, it would explain so much - just like with Tibby. Thanks so much Uabassoon for bringing this lightening bolt idea to me! :)

jenluckenbach
04-28-2003, 05:35 PM
Poor Tibby. Even though it obviously does not seem to hinder her too much it is a shame. But it is wonderful that corky helps her. And now that you know you can make sure not to change things around too much. it helps blind animals to be able to have the furniture et.al. just where they remember it. You'll be in good hands and good paws, Tibby.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-28-2003, 05:41 PM
awww
poor tibby...

At least we know she has a wonderful meowmie.. and a wonderful brother cat... that will take care of her..

sweet little kitty.. she is just too pretty...
*KISSES* for Tibby..

The saddest thing about her limited vision is that she can't see just how incredibly beautiful she is

*DITTO*

batgirl1980
04-28-2003, 05:55 PM
:( Aw poor girl, and she's so beautiful.

I agree with the others, at least you know what it is, so you can help her. My in-laws cat before they got eliza (and before i got eliza from them obviously lol) went blind, but he did from old age.. but after an adjustment period, everyone coped pretty well, and he was still a happy kitty.

I think corky knows she can't see well, and that's why he does what he does. It's so great how animals do that with each other!

*hugs* for your babies!

Uabassoon
04-28-2003, 10:17 PM
If it turns out she is partially blind, it would explain so much - just like with Tibby. Thanks so much Uabassoon for bringing this lightening bolt idea to me!

Let me know what happens with your friends dog.

The saddest thing about her limited vision is that she can't see just how incredibly beautiful she is

Oh believe me, she knows. Someone must have told her she was a little furry princess, because she is a total ham. And I'm convinced that she purposely acts cute because she knows how cute she is.

krazyaboutkatz
04-28-2003, 11:58 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Tibby's blindness. :( At least you found out so you can help her in the future. Corky is such a good big brother to be helping her with her daily activities. :)