PDA

View Full Version : Poor Luna is sick!

Kirsten
04-28-2003, 02:26 PM
You know, she has this bad litterbox problem for a couple of weeks now (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24170), and I often talked to the vet about it. She tends to think it's a mental thing, but recommended to have her urine checked if I was able to get some from her.

Yesterday she peed on the floor again, and I was able to pick something up, and I brought it to the vet today. They found bacteria in it and struvite crystals (I think this is what they called it), and she could develop bladder stones sooner or later. Also, it could be that she will always have bladder problems now. She's on antibiotics now, and the vet also mentioned the possibility of a special diet (but she's already eating Hill's Indoors).

Right now, she seems to have a temperature, probably from the shot. :(
The vet doesn't think that the litter box problems are coming ONLY from that, but it could be one of several reasons.

My question is, has anyone here experiences with urinary tract diseases? So far, none of my cats ever had problems like this. :( If anyone has a good link about struvite crystals or stones, it would be very welcome - thanks in advance!

Kirsten

Uabassoon
04-28-2003, 02:30 PM
Poor Luna. I'm sorry to hear that you are sick. I hope you get better soon. I don't really know much about urinary tract diseases, but I hope it's something that you can recover from quickly.

04-28-2003, 02:37 PM
poor Luna! I'm so sorry to hear about her bladder-problems... .

I am sorry that I cannot give you any advise on this, as my cats don't have this problem. I wish you a the luck with Luna! She is in my prayers!:)

Kirsten
04-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Thanks!

I wonder if she's feeling bad now! :( She's acting quite normal, but we all know that cats often won't show their discomfort! I remember how bad I felt when I once had a bladder infection, and I really don't want Luna to feel like that!

Kirsten

NoahsMommy
04-28-2003, 02:39 PM
There are a few people here with cats with urinary tract problems, I'm sure they can provide a lot of information. One thing I remember from them is to make sure Luna is drinking a lot of water.

I also saw some treats made from cranberry extract for cats in a Drs. Foster/Smith catalog that helped with this. I'll try and find a link...

Randi
04-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Kirsten, I'll send you a PM with some info, as Fister was suffering from the same. In the meantime, search for Fister in the title (last 6 monts) and you'll find some threads about it - and also some links in the posts.

Boots also had it, so take a look at "Boots the cat visits the vet" too. (Phreds)

Get better soon sweet Luna!!! :)

ramanth
04-28-2003, 03:01 PM
I don't have any info to offer but I do hope that Luna feels better real soon!

sasvermont
04-28-2003, 03:04 PM
I was told to give Ti 4 treats a day. He really likes them. Miley even eats them. I give her only two. You can get them over the internet. They are a bit expense.

Poor Luna baby. I surely hope she is feeling better soon!

Good vibes coming your way Kirsten!

SAS

Kirsten
04-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

I will try to find out if these treats are available in Germany!

Kirsten

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-28-2003, 03:17 PM
Oh dear, I do hope poor little Luna is feeling better soon. Sending prayers and positive thoughts for a speedy recovery.

neko1
04-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Ahhh yes Struvite crystals, been down that road with Neko twice when he was just a year old. He's now known as the thousand dollar cat.

He's been doing great ever since and is on Waltham Control S/O formula.

Miss Meow
04-28-2003, 07:56 PM
I don't know much about urinary infections, but good luck with Luna and will be thinking of you two. If it's anything like the human version, it can't be comfortable. Give her a hug for us :)

kimlovescats
04-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Poor sweet Luna... I'm so sorry she has urinary problems, but at least now you know how to approach it! Keep us posted!

krazyaboutkatz
04-29-2003, 12:28 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that Luna has a UTI. :( Prayers are on the way for a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated.

Barbara
04-29-2003, 02:53 AM
I also don't have personal experiences but anyway I wonder how the vet could be so sure in advance it was only behavioral. I hope you can get more advice by others and am confident that there will be a solution that makes it better for Luna and you:)

IttyBittyKitty
04-29-2003, 04:18 AM
Poor little bubby! I do hope that she is feeling better soon! I haven't had any experience with kitties with UTIs, but I've had them myself and know that they are really painful! This may well explain why Luna urinates everywhere! Poor darlin'!

Kirsten
04-29-2003, 04:54 AM
Thanks for your replies and advices! :)

When Luna is done with her antibiotic treatment, her urine has to be tested again. I think my vet will discuss the option of a special diet with me when we get the result. I'm already feeding Hill's Indoor Cat, which supports the health of the urinary tract (she started eating it some weeks ago). Could be that she needs another food additionally. I will ask the vet for the products some have suggested here.

Luna seems to do fine this morning. She's playful and in a good mood. And she was a good girl and used her litter boxes during the night. :)

Kirsten

ChrisH
04-29-2003, 05:49 AM
Poor Luna :( (and poor you too). Glad to hear she seems a little better this morning, perhaps the antibiotics and the new diet you have her on is already helping. Hope so, and that she is fully better very soon.
Prayers and positive thoughts sent.

Christine

jenluckenbach
04-29-2003, 05:59 AM
Poor Luna. :(
I have been down the urinary porblems road 4 times before my vet suggested putting the entire clan on Hill's prescription diet C/D. (I had 1 cat who needed bladder stone surgery, one who needed a catheter inserted to open up the passageway and 2 caught early with crystals in the urine :( ). After their initial treatments they (and ALL) did very well on the special food. I would NEVER take them off the food because the expence of the UTI is WAY more than the extra expence of the food. (and improper "peeing" was the first sign in all cases)
The cats are also on bottled water because our water can be quite high in minerals and other "stuff". It may or may not be helping, but I don't wish to tempt fate. I may just try top find those cranberry treats also as an extra helper. (I still did have 2 cats come down with a simpe UTI (not the crystals) while on the food, so the treats couldn't hurt). What are they called again? And where did you get them, Sas?

HayleyRosie
04-29-2003, 06:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear Luna is not feeling well. She will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

Kirsten
04-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks, HayleyRosie and Jen!

Jen, you seem to have a lot experiences with FUS, thanks for your advice! I will ask the vet about a special diet food, and also try to get these cranberry treats. I never thought about minerals in our water but you could be right!

I've noticed that Luna started drinking more the last few months, do you think this is because of her problems?

BTW, tonight it's the first time I noticed she is losing drops of urine, so she definitely must be in some trouble, even though she doesn't complain and is acting normal. Hopefully her antibiotics will soon have an positive effect on her!

Kirsten

Russian Blue
04-29-2003, 04:21 PM
Here are three links that cover the subject:

http://www.interlog.com/~subrosa/fulinfo.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_the_non-obstructed_cat.html

http://www.hopeforpets.com/diet.htm

Hope these help!

NoahsMommy
04-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Poor baby girl! I'll be praying for a good result at the vets.

AmberLee
04-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Yikes! Poor baby. Fingers and paws crossed here that this problem can be fixed for her quickly. :( :eek:

Kirsten
04-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks for your well wishes everyone, and thanks for the links, Russian Blue! They look very helpful! Looks like I'm going to learn a lot about struvite crystals the next days! :)

Kirsten

Steffi N
04-30-2003, 09:39 PM
I am sorry that Luna is not well and I hope she is better soon.