PDA

View Full Version : Confusion about your dog?

wolf_Q
04-28-2003, 12:35 AM
Everywhere I go people ALWAYS think Nebo is a girl! And they ALWAYS think Lady is a boy! Just last Saturday we had them both at Petco and at least 5-6 people talked to us about them....Nebo was a girl each time, and Lady was a boy. :rolleyes:

Nebo is also a Malamute, Wolf, and various other breeds...actually, a lot of people ask if he is purebred or not (I think the color confuses them) and they usually think he's a pup and not full grown too! Of course to the kids, he's a "Snow Dog!" :D

Very often Lady is a DALMATIAN! lol....I've also heard "Lab" quite a bit, though normally she's just referred to as a "hunting dog." hehe

Reggie's the only dog that I know of that has even had his species confused. We used to have this annoying kid that lived behind us, and when we first got Reggie as a pup, he'd swear over and over that Reggie was a RABBIT! We gave up arguing with him, lol. He's always a "scottie dog." Apparently any dog that has a beard is a "scottie dog," heh. Nobody ever thinks he's a girl though.

And with Smokey, they seem to get the breed right...not the gender of course.......after all, any dog with curly fur is automatically a poodle, and also a female of course. ;)

So what breed/gender/etc. do people confuse your dog with??

Cheshirekatt
04-28-2003, 12:46 AM
Poor Wilma....she always gets called a boy. :rolleyes: It's pretty obvious that she's a pitty but people usually think she's a puppy. She's 40 lbs (the correct size of a pitty, BTW) but people seem to think that's small. Joxer gets called a boxer all the time but he is a pitty/boxer mix so they're not too far off. And poor Buford. When people see him for the first time they all say the same thing. "Wow, that's a good looking dog!" Which I've figured out is a polite way of saying "That's a big a$$ scary looking dog!" LOL And if you don't know him, he does look scary. Especially if he's at the front window in guard dog mode. :D

ParNone
04-28-2003, 02:29 AM
Murph has quite a bit of white on him, so he gets callled a Westie
quite a bit, but at least people know what a Westie is. People
rarely know what Maddie is and after I say Cairn Terrier, it's
almost always followed by blank stares, so I have to say, "You
know, Toto from the Wizard of Oz".

The most common one for Oz is "Ohhhhh look a Shaved Collie"
and the most out of left field one was "Greyhound". He's
pretty much always mistaken for a girl too, which I'm guessing
is maybe the Maybellline Mascara look around his eyes.

Par...

lovemyshiba
04-28-2003, 07:14 AM
How about this one--people think I am walking a fox when I have Kito out!!! I know the coloring is simple, but seriously, does anyone have a pet fox?? And if they do, do they take it for walks?? He's also been a mini husky, akita and a few other ones.
Abbey doesn't usually get confused, but everyone thinks she is a boy.

Cisco's Mom
04-28-2003, 07:31 AM
OMG!! It is funny to read everyone's replies. Good Thread! Well, Cisco is mistaken for a girl alot or people are always asking what his gender is. The funniest mistake is that ALOT of people think he is a pitt bull puppy!!:rolleyes: The cutest mistake are the very young childeren whom think he is a pig! I guess because of his big white ears.:)

ramanth
04-28-2003, 08:24 AM
Kia gets called a boy and a puppy quite often. Many people are surprised when I tell them she's almost 5.

I don't bother correcting people if they call Kia a boy because I know I've mis-gendered many dogs much to my embarressment. :D But I guess it's a good thing I'm actually not bending over and trying to see if the dog had danglies or not. :o ;)

On breed... well most people know she's got husky in her because of the eyes. When I tell them Aussie Cattle Dog a lot of people think I say 'kettle' dog. :rolleyes:

She's called a wolf by young kids that don't know any better and this past weekend she was the "EVIL dog" ;) lol!

Sudilar
04-28-2003, 09:16 AM
No one calls Killian a girl. hehehe
Shiloh is always called a boy because she is so big.

The breed is never mistaken (except for maybe a small horse) hehehe.
The comment is always about how BIG they are.

Kona & Oreo's mom
04-28-2003, 09:25 AM
A lot of people think that Oreo is a boy. I think that many people assume all large, black dogs are boys. She used to wear a red collar, and I would always hear "What a handsome boy." Now she wears a much more feminine purple collar, which has helped a little. :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Drake has never been confused for a girl. Even if I don't call out his name. Guess he has MALE written all over him!! People often guess Wolf mix, GSD, sometimes Husky or Malamute. Only once did this guy say Drake looked like a Grey Hound!! Perhpas his long legs, but nothing else is Grey Hound about him!!!

lv4dogs
04-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Nanook is almost always called a girl (even though he kind of looks like one & he barks like one too LOL). Even I am not sure exactlly what breeds he is mixed w/ but these are the replies I get (some are purebreed & some people guess a mix, but they all could be true) husky, shep, wolf, samoyed, lab (I think not), malamute. People always think he is about 5 but he is 13, now thats a compliment!

Raustyk always gets mistooken for a puppy, she's 6 yrs. Some people think she's a boy (I think 'cause of her breed) but they always get her breed right, a rott.

Mylo, most people get his sex right & breed (husky mix) but some think he's a malamute or wolf. He has one blue eye and lots of people think he's blind in that eye.

A lot of people call Nanook & Mylo "snow or sled dogs".

tikeyas_mom
04-28-2003, 10:56 AM
ppl always think oscar is a female and Tikeya is male. I think it is a size thing?? They alwasy think Tikeya is a puppy as well, the assume she uis malamute but, ya shes not lol. so it haoppends to me all the time to.

stacwase
04-28-2003, 11:07 AM
Everybody thinks Jake is a girl - because he's so pretty! They always call him a "Lassie dog" - close enough I guess. At the shelter last week, we were introducing him to a big female rottweiler. Everybody kept calling her "him" and him "her" and pretty soon they got so confused they just gave up. I mean - this huge muscular female and this little fluffy groomed male. I don't blame them.

I don't think anybody will ever confuse Max for a girl. He looks too big and scary. Although today he got scared of a little weiner dog and we nicknamed him "Maxine".

Cheshirekatt
04-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by stacwase
I don't think anybody will ever confuse Max for a girl. He looks too big and scary. Although today he got scared of a little weiner dog and we nicknamed him "Maxine".

LOL That's like Joxer, too. I was a witch for Halloween and he was so scared of me in my hat he ran into a wall! Hehe. Big, scary pit bull for ya....

stacwase
04-28-2003, 11:33 AM
I know - isn't it so funny? It's like they don't know they're big or something! We weighed max today and he's 91 lbs. The little weinter dog was 16 lbs. Here my husband was patting Max and saying "Don't worry - that doggie won't hurt you!" and Max was whining. The people at the vet who were watching thought it was funny, too!

Crikit
04-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Smudge and Winter don't get any confusion at all, it's Tama that totally confuses people. He gets called a she all the time and then most people just don't even bother to guess his breed they all just go what kind of dog is that it's so cute?

slleipnir
04-28-2003, 12:36 PM
People use to think Josie was a boy lol..They would come up and be like "Oh, what's his name?" They never seem to get the breed wrong though ;] A lot of ppl just ask what breed she is and if she's a purebred. A lot of ppl ask if she's still a pup also lol, her being almost 5..Most ppl seem to think Zeke is a boy also, which is good :p lol

cali
04-28-2003, 12:52 PM
lol people keep thinking misty is a boy and are completely suprised when I say her name is misty! so I got her a purple coller and leash to hopfully solve that problem! and people insist that perky is a corgie when she is a jack russel!:eek: misty has also been mistaken for a corgie:eek:

Tina
04-28-2003, 01:01 PM
The only one of ours gets confused is Ginger. People thinks that she is a boy. I've had a few people ask if she was a puppy? I'm like no she is a year old.

RubyMutt
04-28-2003, 01:19 PM
LOL :D My girl Ruby has been refered to as "boy". Some people think she's a grayhound - once someone even asked if she was a dalmatian!

primabella
04-28-2003, 02:36 PM
People think Mick looks like a girl in some pics. I agree though :o But once when we took him to my brothers school (elementary) a few kids asked if he was a cat or a fox. lol :p

Cincy'sMom
04-28-2003, 04:02 PM
I think Cincy causes the most confusion. Occasionally Sadie gets called him or Spot gets called her, but everyone asssumes Cincy is the oldest. Nope, she is the youngest by 1 year! And no, she has never had puppies! ( many people think she has cuase of the way her bellies hangs....it just that on its own!)

bnormal
04-28-2003, 05:36 PM
My 2 Dobes are occassionaly thought to be Rotts...

How? I have no idea...but, I have a sneaking suspicion that these same people also think that Dobes and Rotts are naturally viscious.

SOME PEOPLE JUST DONT GET IT! (I'm screaming)

micki76
04-28-2003, 05:42 PM
Fun thread, Amy!

Let's see. People always think Millie's a boy and Chester's a girl. I guess cause Chester's so slender and Millie's so buff. :D And they always think Chester's a Jack Russell (he'd be a very skinney one), or a Chihuahua. At least he *looks* like a Chihuahua. :rolleyes:

People would see my Westie and say, "Look at the white Scottie dog!" LOL :D Not even close.

CathyBogart
04-28-2003, 06:25 PM
When I take Star out I get a lot of "is that a fox?" Whick is silly because she looks nothing like a fox. She's half COYOTE, which isn't remotely the same thing. People also always think she's a puppy.

People don't believe me when I tell them Stella is a Chihuahua. They always think she's a mutt of some sort. YES, there are long-haired Chi's....sheesh!

Pam
04-28-2003, 07:36 PM
Several people have made comments to me when I am with Bella that they didn't think she was a poodle because she is so big. I guess a lot of people just think "small dog" when they think poodle. The only person who has ever gotten confused about any of my dog's sexes is my mother. She has always said "he" when referring to female dogs I've owned and "she" when referring to my male. (She hasn't met Ripley yet but I am sure she will call him "her." I don't even bother to correct her any more) :rolleyes:

doglovrforevr
04-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Rusty's breed gets mixed up...people are always coming up to us saying..Golden Retriever, right? and everytime, we have to say, no he is a NSDTR.:rolleyes:

wolf_Q
04-28-2003, 11:53 PM
These replies are so funny! :D

I don't ever correct anyone over the gender either....I mean, I check in dogs all the time, and I've gotten the gender wrong countless times....some people get pretty offended. I don't do it on purpose I swear! I can't keep track of everything! lol :o

It was kind of strange.....today, I had to go to a meeting at Petco and had Nebo with me. The manager came up and was talking to me. She's like, "Wow, she sure is beautiful! She has great conformation...seriously...do you show her?"

Lol, um no, for several reasons.....first, he's a boy ;)...a neutered boy.....and he's not AKC, heh. I've never had anyone tell me has great conformation though. ;)

zippy-kat
04-29-2003, 12:04 AM
Sara is almost always a boy... and almost always a pitt.

She sorta does look like a pitt since she has a long snort-snoot compared to other boxers...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p9534dfa5b5aec0ed61978d0de8f18eea/fc401ba7.jpg

Cheshirekatt
04-29-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
Sara is almost always a boy... and almost always a pitt.

She sorta does look like a pitt since she has a long snort-snoot compared to other boxers...

I could see that. :D Plus she has a little bit more of a square shaped head like the pittys. She *kinda* looks like Joxer who is 1/2boxer, 1/2 pitty. She's much prettier than Joxer, tho. Don't get me wrong, I love Joxer to pieces but he's not exactly....well, handsome. :D His goofiness comes out in his looks. hehe.

zippy-kat
04-29-2003, 12:48 AM
awwwww Joxer is adorable! gotta love the boxer goofiness!! :D

wolfsoul
04-29-2003, 07:22 PM
everyone always thinks Timber is a boy.

So far, I've been asked if she is: a purebred husky :rolleyes: , purebred collie :rolleyes: , collie mal cross (that's alot more realistic), purebred border collie :rolleyes: , a purebred belgian shepherd :rolleyes: , a belgian shepherd cross (more realistic as she does carry belgian shepherd :p) A long haired german shepherd, and a shepherd cross (which she also is)

Leather is always thought to be a boy, probably because she's so big lol

We rarely hear someone say she is a purebred shepherd. Everyone think she's a shepherd malamute cross, probably because of her colouring and size. We've also heard shepherd husky cross, white shepherd german shpeherd cross :eek: (as if they aren't the same :rolleyes: ), and shepherd wolf cross (which I always comment on how she has such wolfish traits; the way she trots, her long legs etc)

captain
04-29-2003, 08:22 PM
Well, NO-ONE ever mistakes my dogs for anything other than a Dalmatian ............ :D

Although I get,
"Oh, where are the other 99?" (DUH - like I have NEVER heard that before!)

"Is your dogs name Pongo / Purdy?" NO!

"Is your dog male?" - Captain has NOT been neutered ...... so ... Yes, I guess he is! :p

"Why is the female smaller than the male?" (?????? - Hmmmm, let me see)

But the best is - "excuse me, is your dog a Dalmatian?". No, they are actually Labradors painted with spots (NOW, I actually answered this question like that once, and the person said "HOW CRUEL!)

Oh dear ...... :rolleyes: :p

primabella
04-29-2003, 08:25 PM
lol Captain :p

"Oh, where are the other 99?" "Is your dogs name Pongo / Purdy?"

Aww man, these people are funny :rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
04-29-2003, 09:23 PM
Poor Daisy and Molly...Molly is always getting called "mini collie" or sheltie! Oh and you cant forget people saying, "Oh, Look at the lassie dog!" drives me crazy! Shes kinda short for an average collie but she is a collie! Daisy always gets refered to as a Lab. She has short fur compared to most goldens, and people think shes a lab! Its okay in the beggining but after a while it gets annoying!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

captain
04-29-2003, 09:32 PM
Oh, Oh - you just reminded me.

I also get "Is that a Dalmatian Dog?" - NO, it's a Dalmatian Cat!

Grrrrrrrrrr

Cincy'sMom
04-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by captain
Oh, Oh - you just reminded me.

I also get "Is that a Dalmatian Dog?" - NO, it's a Dalmatian Cat!

Grrrrrrrrrr

:D

kingrattus
04-29-2003, 09:50 PM
NO, it's a Dalmatian Cat!
------------
heheheh.. thats a good one :)

WAAAAAAY WAAAAAAY back when Max was a black dog, people thought Max was a female because he had no boys hanging & his manly wasn't hanging out, "hes not a humal people!!!". This use to drive me nuts, when they would look at his belly & still call him a female :mad:

Most people thought Max was a pure black lab. The 2ed or 3rd day I had Max this lady tried to steal him right from my arms! :eek: & when I would tell people Max's real breed some even stoped petting him & looked at him as if he was a killer!!

But now that Max is an old grey fart, everyone calls him a Male :D

ellensy
04-30-2003, 12:02 PM
Beethoven is usually a 'male' , partly my fault coz of her name....

Crunchy is a girl all over...people see that she's very feminine but she's almost always a 'pup' even if she's close to 5 already....

Nestle is almost always called as "hey, look at that big cat"
:rolleyes: oh well.... i dont know poms have that cat look in them :p

NYCbabi 13002
04-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Poor Ladie, is often called a male:
1. She kinda does look like a male
2.Sometimes I accidently spell her name like this: Laddie, which means a guy.

grr...O well, its not that bad of a prob

wolf_Q
04-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by ellensy

Nestle is almost always called as "hey, look at that big cat"
:rolleyes: oh well.... i dont know poms have that cat look in them :p

LOL when Nebo was a tiny pup somebody once was like "That looks like a.......coyote, cat mix!" :rolleyes:

Corinna
04-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Merlin is almost always called a Cocker! Please he's so much bigger. Lady too is he I guess cuz shes so big. I don't try to correct either I figure the are both its cuz of being fixed. I know and thats all that matters.

Dakota's Mommy
05-01-2003, 03:18 PM
All three of my girls often get called "he's"!