PDA

View Full Version : What made you adopt your cat(s)?

Uabassoon
04-27-2003, 02:01 PM
I was just wondering why everyone adopted the cats that they currently have.

Corkscrew- He belonged to a friend of mine who didn't really care for him and he moved around so much, he kept getting given away then returned back to her. When I heard she was going to take him to the humane society I knew I couldn't let that happen. Corkscrew was already full grown and he wasn't exactly a friendly cat so I knew his chances of getting adopted were slim, so I told her that I could be his forever home.

Tibby- After Zasper died I was ready for another cat and I wanted another siamese mix. So I put up an ad on Petfinder.com saying that I was looking for a siamese, but I was looking to adopt and didn't want any breeders contacting me. The next day a lady from a shelter in Tucson sent me an email saying that she had a siamese mix kitten who was beautiful but a little shy so she had kind of been over looked. I went to the shelter a few times before I was actually able to play with Tibby (since it was a no cage shelter Tibby would hide when people came over and no one could see her). But I finally decided on Tibby and I'm so glad that I did because she is my little angel.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-27-2003, 02:08 PM
I seem to have a thing for yelling cats:
Leonardo was 10 days old. Abandonded by his mother outside my kitchen window. I found him when he got hungry and started yelling with a surprisingly lound voice for such a tiny thing.
Luke was found in my car's motor. I was sure surprised when, as I pulled out of the drive, my car started yelling at me.
Chester was found stuck in one of my trees, yelling his head off.
Leroy, now at the RB, used to run around and around outside my house all night long, yelling his head off.

I think I wanted peace and quiet, so I adopted them. (just kidding).:eek: :D

slick
04-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Was a spur of the moment decision. I had just purchased my first condo in a pet-friendly building. One sunny day I walked into a pet supply store and I saw a very small business card on the bulletin board. Since I've told this story before I'll make it short. Two days later I drove over to pick up my two kitties, sight unseen. I've never look back or questioned why I did it but I suspect there was a higher power involved because the owners were moving the very next day and had no home for either kitties. Who knows what would have happened if I hadn't come along just at the right time.

lailamara
04-27-2003, 03:03 PM
I think I wanted peace and quiet, so I adopted them. (just kidding).

I was tired of the peace and quiet. It had been a year since Zoe passed on and 2 since Theo her brother. Originally we were bequethed 2 older tabby girls by a friend undergoing serious surgery with a poor prognosis. Miracle of miracles she made it !! Then I just couldn't bring myself to go into the Humane Society's building. Last time I did that it broke my heart and it took forever to stop thinking about all those animals and how could I choose one over another. That last time my friend took 2, I already had 3 (who did not get along very well) but took an older Siamese. As we were doing the paper-work an older man said he'd love a Siamese . I handed him right over as I didn't come for a cat in the first place.
We checked out many different breeds and cats but always ended up thinking about what if we got abys again. Well.... sure enough we realized we are addicted to abys...and now Maya and Bodhi rarely give us a moment's peace.

PayItForward
04-27-2003, 03:03 PM
We adopted George as I had been made redundant and thought I could spend the necessary time to settle a cat into our home, whilst I was at home full time. He is our first pet and my favourite (Ps. Don't tell Milly & Milo)

We adopted Milly, as George is a very affectionate cat and we wanted someone to be company & a playmate for him.

We discovered that George was a 'play with humans only' kitty and disliked being pounced on by Milly 24/7. Milly needed a friend, so we adopted Milo

PS. In each case, the cat choose us. They all came up to us, asking for cuddles when they were in the shelter. Though this is funny, as Milly now only accepts 5 mins of affection a day, preferably when we are asleep, go figure.

TheAntiPam
04-27-2003, 03:53 PM
I love reading these stories! There is so much love and providence in each one!

My first cat, Murf (RB), talked to me from his cage at the shelter. When I walked out of sight and other people came by, he didn't talk to them! I went back near him and he started meowing away! The shelter helper said "He is telling you that he is going home with you!" and he did!

Both of my current kitties, Winston and Noodle, were found in places associated with my job. Winston was found in an old truck tire in the warehouse of my former job. Noodle was found under a construction office trailer on a very busy and scary construction site. Since I'm the "cat lady" at work, both tiny kittens found their way directly to me - and into my heart!

shais_mom
04-27-2003, 04:04 PM
I was looking for a kitten as a companion for my greyhound. But my friend was looking for a home for her bf now hubby didn't like her. So I decided to take her. tho I sometimes wonder what a kitten would have been like, I have never looked back. She is so bonded with me. I simply adore her!

jenluckenbach
04-27-2003, 04:54 PM
:rolleyes:

Lucas: Picked him up off the street thinking his owners would come for him.....could not put back on street.

Amber: I just lost my Amanda and she "fit the bill"

Fern and Rutherford: I just lost my Brighteyes and Thumper in the same week. Rutherford insisted I take him and Fern was too cute.

Monte: I had just lost my Bear, and Monte would not take no for an answer

Jasper: I was going to take a cat who was going to lose his home. When the people decided they culd not part with him I took the opportunity to find me another. :p

Sterling: too beautiful to walk away from

Willow: SUCKER :rolleyes: (me, that is)

Ashley and Calvin: I had just lost my Y.Lee and I could not decide. Ashley was the calico that my husband wanted, but Calvin "called" out to me.

Biddy: SUPER SUCKER (me again)

Kim and Jim: long story, but they are in honor of my dearest friend (and her dad) who both passed away last year.

Soledad
04-27-2003, 05:00 PM
I wanted a cat because I had just moved back to NZ, was unemployed and thought it would make me less homesick and that I'd have time to raise a kitten.

I picked Boo specifically because he was the only kitten who didn't mind being held and who would contentedly sit on my lap. The other kitties were spastic and uninterested in humans. It didn't hurt that he was a cutie pie as well. ;)

boscibo
04-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Bo: Bo was a Christmas present from my sister. She is a sucker for kittens, and she couldn't resist him.

Abby: Abby belonged to a guy I know. I ran into him one night, started talking to him and asked about his cat. He said he had just put her outside that very night (he lived in an apartment building) because she was being to loud. I asked him if I could have her (My cat Boo had passed away a few months before, and Bo was the only cat at the time) and he said yes. I called my BF to make sure it was OK, he said yes, I ran home and grabbed my cat carrier and went to the guy's apartment. Luckily, the cat was still hanging around. She came right up to me and I got her in the carrier. She was in heat badly. I got her fixed and that is Abby's story.

Hanna: We were riding our bikes last August, and she found us. She was skinny and dirty, and had burnt whiskers. She was about 9-10 weeks old. We kept her.

Freckles
04-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
Mmy friend was looking for a home for her bf now hubby didn't like her.

Staci, I remember this original story. Do they have any pets now?

Lillycat
04-27-2003, 05:56 PM
all my cats also were associated w/my place of employment.....indra was yowling at my classroom back door, and a former kdg. student of mine, who at that time was in 8th grade and tutoring for me kept begging me to let the kitty inside. i kept ignoring both of them (student and kitty) but it was a very stormy day and the kitty was scared so i finally relented.....the student is graduating high school this may and i have the kitty! another teacher brought nevvie to me thinking i needed another kitty and i guess i must have agreed w/her .......he is a wonderful cat!!! the school secretary brought the third kitty to me this past september, she said he kept climbing through the window into the office.....she was afraid for him and that is how i acquired baby washy.......i love them all!!!!!

rg_girlca
04-27-2003, 06:32 PM
Katie: Hubby, me and the kids, went to a foster home for cats to check out on getting a companion for C-Fer (R.B.) as he had lost his companion due to sickness. I was in my glory sitting there with all these cats around me. While I was talking to the owner, up jumped Katie on the table and layed herself right in front of me wanting petties. Well, needless to say, she knew what she was doing cause she came home that night with us. That was 11 years ago and she has been a real sweetheart since.

Mooky: A friends daughter's cat had kittens and I kept telling the hubby that I wanted another kitty and he kept telling me NO. He said that I took it too hard when my furbabies passed on(Well who doesn't) and it hurt him too much to see me hurting so much. But I told him that it was part of life loosing those you love and as time goes on the pain gets less, but the memories are forever. Then one day, while I was home alone, my hubby called and asked if I would like a kitten. I said, "Yes please". That's how Mooky came into my life. He is 9 months old now and full of spunk.

Cataholic
04-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Tex came from a shelter in Massachusetts..he was returned by the other owner, for reasons unknown to me. He is the BESTEST cat, and the top cat.

Georgia came to my vets after I had told them I wanted a friend for Tex. She was picked up in a field. To this day, she is the only one that gets away with stuff with Tex.

Tenny- came from my mom's school....as this teeny, tiny, little thing. Today, he is 17.5 pounds, but, still every bit the baby.

Allie and Dakky came from a litter of a stray my friend picked up on the road- a dark and story night. I told my friend I would adopt any tuxedos, if she had any...keep in mind this momma cat is PURE WHITE. Well, she had two.

Minnie was from a clinic that the friend mentioned above frequents. Her SO thought Minnie would work well with my herd...

Binx - he came via the friend above, too. I think I need to find another friend...:D :D

carole
04-27-2003, 09:03 PM
well most of you will know by now, but for those who dont, well Ash was a very healthy stray, who lived on my outdoor set for quite some time before we realised it was not my sister n laws cat few houses down, my daughter begged me to keep him, hubby said no (as i am allergic to cats) and three years later he is the lion king lol.
Sooti was rescued from going back to the S.P.C.A as his owner was going to be in the courtesy of his majestys services, he came with Rusty a gorgeous calico 4mth old kitten who i found an exellent home for, kept sooti as we thought he had less chance of finding a home as he was about 9mths old.
And now my new kitty lexie who i got from the cats protection league, who was a stray , pregnant at the young age of around 7mths, lost her babies and nearly her life, she is very healthy now, happy and content and the joy of my life.

krazyaboutkatz
04-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Storm- I went to the Humane Society looking for a kitten but this was during the month of January so kittens were scarce. I looked at the cats that were kept inside and was ready to give up that day. The lady said that there were more in a building outside. This is where the strays are kept. I looked at a very large black cat and held him and was ready to go back inside and look at his paperwork when a gray paw stuck out of a cage. :) It was Storm and he was really trying to get my attention. I held him and he was very friendly and purry. Well I fell in love with him so I decided to adopt him. That was a little over 6 years ago. Another coincidence is that his cage number matched my cutomer number.

RB Pepper- I needed a playmate for Storm so I decided to get a kitten. I went to Petco and saw five kittens. They were all males. Pepper was the only long haired one and the friendliest and purred the loudest too. I fell in love with him and adopted him through an organization called Care. He and Storm were best friends. Unfortunately he passed away a little over a month before his 6th birthday.

Sunny- I decided to adopt another cat because Storm began terrorizing Pepper and he needed another playmate. I wanted an orange young male. I thought I wanted another kitten but it wasn't quite kitten season yet. I called an organization that was listed in the newspaper and left a message. A lady called me back and said that they had a 6 month old orange male. He turned out to be really 8 months old. I said I'd come by and take a look. I didn't expect to adopt him because I was still looking for a younger cat. Well I took one look at him and it was love at first sight. The lady told me about his personality so I knew he's fit in perfectly. Within a week, he was best friends with both Storm and Pepper. He's brought so much life into my household.

Cirrus- After losing Pepper, I knew that I'd be adopting another cat sometime soon. I was going to wait until the summer and I wanted a young male short haired cat. I was shopping at Pet Club and I looked at their bulletin board and I saw some flyers with cat organizations on them. I decided to write the info down and look some of them up on the internet. Well I fell in love with a cat named Flint. I e-mailed them and filled out info about myself and the lady e-mailed me back the next morning. I decided to go see him the same day. I ended up adopting him the same day. Now his name is Cirrus and he's a very happy cat.

shais_mom
04-27-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
Staci, I remember this original story. Do they have any pets now?
Not that I am aware of, she got him a yellow lab puppy but he 'ran away' which is pretty funny b/c that is what happened to Kylie's brother too.

Johanna,
Kylie's momma is pure white, had 2 pure white kittens one long haired and one short haired and the other was a male tiger.
:)

babolaypo65
04-27-2003, 09:24 PM
I wasn't really planning on getting a cat, but had mentioned that I missed having one.

Anyway, it was late fall (November I think) and getting colder at night. A friend had mentioned several times that a white cat was living in her back yard. She had four cats and couldn't really handle another... I went and met Clive and couldn't live without him!
He came home and that night was the first freeze. He slept warm and cozy on his polar fleece blanket.

(Then about a month later, right before Christmas Clive got sick, really sick, with what turned out to be hemobart. The vet said he'd had it for a while... He nearly died. My friends really pitched in for that one! Bringing different kinds of food to see what he would eat. Helping me with mid day pill giving. And the friend who gave him to me even helped me pay the $800 vet bill.)
Now, its nearly May and he's healthy as a horse, and I couldn't imagine being without him! He and my pup have bonded too!

Felicia's Mom
04-27-2003, 10:08 PM
Felicia: I had just lost Cleo and was having a harder time than usual getting over it. I thought getting another kitten would help. At a pet store nearby they had kittens. When I came back the next day, the kitten I wanted was gone (at the vets, not sold). I could have returned later, instead I took the only kitten still there, who was Felicia.

After I brought her home she picked on Shadow my other cat and wasn't friendly to me either.

Beau: After Shadow died, I decided to get a purebred. I chose a Burmese because there was a breeder close by ( didn't want it shipped).
I went to the breeders for several weeks until the kittens were old enough to leave their mother. Once I picked up the one I was planning on buying. He flipped out of my arms and went on. So I picked up the other kitten (Beau now). He sat on my lap so I fell for him and took him instead.

04-28-2003, 01:59 AM
Maya : After we lost our dear Sydney, we went to a shelter for another cat. Maya kept meowing at us untill we decided to take her! Clever kitten, hey!!:D :D

Inka : my sister-in-law found this kitten in a cornfield; as she was about to leave for a long trip, she asked me if I wanted her. WHAT A QUESTION HEY!!! OF course I wanted her:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

Chinadoll
04-28-2003, 02:35 AM
Scout -found him outside my apt. door when he was 11 weeks old. He was too dehydrated to move so I took him in and nursed him back to health and he stayed.

Gigi - Joey picked her out from a litter his co-worker's cat had. He brought her to me to care for until he got his own place...she's still here and not leaving!

Bixby - My mother fell in love with him at a petstore. She couldn't take him home and she knew I wouldn't take in anymore unless it was an extreme rescue situation. So she bought him and tried to pass him off to me as a kitten she found. I knew it couldn't be because he smelled freshly bathed and his nails were clipped. By the time I got the real story out of her, I had a precious kitten in my home that I couldn't bring back to the petstore despite being at my limit.

Barbara
04-28-2003, 03:44 AM
My husband and I had been talking about cats since we were together but as we both had fulltime jobs we felt it would not be fair to the cats.

When he retired I still was not sure. In my former life (other city, other husband) I had indoor/outdoor kitties and when my sweet Meo died by a car accident, I knew I never wanted and outdoor kitty again -but I was not sure whether I would feel ok with an indoor cat.

But we had gone to every cat show around and knew we found Abyssinians by far the most playful and gracious cats. So one day there was this ad in the newspaper saying there was an Aby boy. My husband called immediately and we went to meet him next day. He was the child of an animal photographer who did only breed from time to time. Filou had spent his life with his Aby parents -he had no sisters and brothers - a Bengal cat, a DLH, a tabby and 4 rabbits:D

We knew that he needed a brother and were prepared to go to a shelter when we read another ad in a local advertising magazine, saying there was a mix Aby/Siberian Forest cat. We were so curious that we had to call. Tigris was the last of 4 brothers and sisiters and he was already promised to another lady but his humans had a not-so-purrfect feeling about this lady so they allowed us to come and see. Little Tigri immediately fell asleep in my arm and his owners decided to give him too us whatever the other lady would say - and she never called again! So their feelings were right.:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-28-2003, 03:52 AM
It's a sorta long story.....................

My precious ALLY:

I had parked my car after work and was walking up my front path - I heard a weird noise - which I thought was a BIRD, but I went inside. About ten minutes later I could still hear the noise, so I sent Cameron (my son- 14) out to have a look. He came back in and said "Mum, theres a kitten in the garden" - I can still remember the first words out of my mouth - shame on me "a kitten - that's the LAST thing I need".......

Anyway we went outside with a towel and grabbed her - she was really grubby and skinny - you could feel all her little ribs and knobbly bones through her skin! I put her in our guest loo with food (which I had to rush out and buy) and water, and a box with an old blanket in it. I told Cameron - "dont tell Daddy until he has come inside and relaxed" - of course when he heard the car door slam he went running outside shouting "DAD - we've got a KITTEN" - my husbands face was an absolute STUDY!!!

We agreed that she could stay until I had found a home for her. The next day at work I printer flyers with her photo, but I didnt put them up anywhere. I also popped into the SPCA and I left in tears - I realised that if she ended up there, as a Dilmun ferral kitten she had NO CHANCE of being adopted - people here go for exotics and long-haired fluffy cats - not these skinny "desert cats".

This happened near the beginning of the week, and every evening I updated my hubby on all my efforts to find her a home (HAHA), whilst I spend every lunch hour driving home to play with her.

That weekend we were swimming in the pool, and my husband said "It seems like this cat is going to be around for a while - why dont you give her a name", and I just started crying!! I was so happy that I was allowed to keep her!

So Ally has been in our lives for almost two years now, and she is so precious to me - I can't imagine my life without her! It will be her second birthday on May 12 (we chose her a birthday - everyone HAS to have a birthday) - and she will be very spoiled with a party and pressies!

IttyBittyKitty
04-28-2003, 06:14 AM
There was a decision between two rental properties - one that had ADSL capability, and one that did not have ADSL capability but allowed 1 pet. I wanted to choose the property that allowed the pet. Eventually, I convinced my partner that it was a good idea. He relented on the condition that we could call the cat "broadband," so he could tell everyone he had broadband.

I digressed, and the second best choice was "Pixel." When I told Mum (who lives interstate) that I was going to get a cat, she strongly hinted that I should take one of my childhood cats home. I went and visited for my brother's 18th, had lots of love and cuddles with Whiskey, and agreed that she should come and live in sunny Brisbane (thus abandoning the new kitty idea). I got the ball rolling, so to speak, but Mum balked - she just couldn't part with Whiskey who had been living with her since her birth in 1997 (in my bedroom cupboard).

On a whim, I decided that Sunday before Easter Monday was the day! I rang the first shelter (on a wrong number I found out later) and got no answer. I rang the next shelter and got an answer and asked about cats/kittens for adoption. The first one they told me about was my Pixel, described as a Siamese/DSH cross with the most beautiful blue eyes. I chose the kitty because Mum's two kitties are Siamese/DSH crosses and they are the most affectionate, loving kitties around!

Now Pixel has made a wonderful addition to our little family :) She came back from the vets today!

****Welcome to your furrever home Pixel****

Lerah021399
04-28-2003, 06:51 AM
Ali:
Well, to shorten the story, my sister brought Ali home when I was about 13. Ali was supposed to be her cat, but she became my cat (she followed me around the house and slept in my bed). When we moved in '96, Ali went to live w/ my sister and then my mom. She then came to live back w/ us for a while until my sister got married and then went back w/ her. My sister's husband didn't like her and threatened to take her to the shelter, so my mom took her back. Well, my mom has a huge Chow-Chow and Ali was terrified of her, so once my husband and I got our own place (we were living in a condo that didn't allow pets for a while) we took Ali. So she now has a forever home w/ us.

Jack:
We got Jack shortly after we got Ali. We thought that Ali could use a playmate. My husband was being kind of picky about what color cat he wanted...I think he would have taken whatever color cat home, but he said that he wanted a gray cat and it had to be shorthaired. So, off to the shelter we went. We didn't have any luck the first time we went (all the cats were adopted!), so they told us to check their website daily for new arrivals. So, I checked everyday and low and behold, I saw Jack. I called the shelter just to make sure that he wasn't adopted already and headed out there after work. Jack was in a cage w/ his brother and was the smallest of all his litter, but I fell in love w/ him the moment I saw him. So, I filled out the papers and adopted him.

HayleyRosie
04-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Hayley: I wanted a cat for a long time and was having a hard time convincing my husband to let me adopt one. One day at work my friend (a co-worker) and I convinced him to go to a local pet store and just look. He fell in love with Hayley right away and there was no question HE was taking her home that night!

Mandy: After some time we felt Hayley should have a play mate. We looked everywhere for a little male cat. (MY husband wanted a male) We stoped by a local pet store and fell in love with Mandy. She was the last one left out of a litter of five. We think it is probably because she was the smallest and she has a bent tail. Everyone else's loss. She is a great joy.

K & L
04-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Bailey and d Blaze – Were born in the neighbor’s woodpile, feral, tamed and made indoors only.

Gypsy, Shadow, Beavis, Spike – Feral mom dropped them off in our flowerbed out front.

Olive & Parker – Were dumped in the park along with 4 other siblings who found other homes.

Paisley – Found near dead in the park weighing 1lb, ear mites, URI, fever, you name it-she had it.

Gabby – Running back and forth on our roof meowing and scared to death.

Porch – Neighborhood stray we took in.

Bentley & Boo – Born feral in the park and mom was no where to be found. Brought them home.

Bear, Calvin & Barney – Born in the park and brought home.

Bo – Latest Park rescue.

ramanth
04-28-2003, 12:40 PM
Zam knew I was a sucker. ;) :D :p

She was a stray that various people in the complex were feeding. She was people friendly, her three kittens were not.

Took some time, but eventually all three were caught.

Donna has one (Eli), the old manager took the orange and white, and I have Little Boy.

NoahsMommy
04-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Awwww! I love this thread!

Let me begin my conversion to crazy cat woman by saying that I was NOT a cat person by any means. I would actually laugh at those mean bumper stickers. :(

Anyway....my conversion:

NOAH
My sweet boy....we picked him out from two litters a co-worker had. I really, really wanted an orange cat, they were really the only cats I thought were cute back then. :rolleyes: There were three oranges, only two were available. One had blue eyes and was more into playing with his kitty siblings the other had green eyes and was mellow. He jumped to the couch I was sitting on, sat down next to my leg and kind of looked at me. I was sold!!!

Noah was just the beginning!!! :)

NOEL
Noah was using me for playtime, as if I too, was a kitten his size. I loved that he wanted to play with me, but was getting sick of hydrogen peroxide and neosporen!!! ;) So, while at PetSmart, we checked out the rescue kitties. (Zuni) was a three-month-old SCARED tortie girl. She looked so scared and pittiful I knew I HAD to have her. I didn't even wait for David to respond, I grabbed an application from "Life Rescue" and began filling it out. :)

BASIL
My dear, dear Basie Bee.....can anyone love a cat this much?? We got out early from a summer school class we were taking and we had to get cat food. David (my cat-lover and the cause of my craziness) about ran to the rescue area. They had six kittens, from three different litters. I wanted a greay tabby, I love tabbies. But, David was in love with this little, tiny, fluff ball. David kept pleading with me to get this little guy, but I wanted the gray tabby. (Shhhh, don't ever tell Basie this story!!) David confinced me when he told me to sit down and he put Basie on my leg...he just sat there!!! SOLD!!!!

Olivia
We began our training at the Humane Society in early November. While we sat waiting for our trainer, I was engaged by this gorgeous black girl, Ebony. She was beautiful and I was in love. (I'm in love a lot there... ;) ) Her sign said she wasn't good with other cats, so I knew she'd be my shelter love instead. Well, after visiting the shelter for at least a month straight, Ebby was gone!! I found her in the cat room!! She came home on December 14th and had her name changed to Olivia. Its funny, she and I were in love...but now she is a total "Daddy's girl".

MICAH
My Micah...can you tell I love my boys?? :)
Micah was a breeder's cat, dropped off at the shelter for some very sketchy reasons. :mad: He found his way into my heart every day after I first saw him. I even dreamt about him!! Now he's happy and a HUGE lover boy.

2kitties
04-28-2003, 03:00 PM
I already had Taz and wanted to get him a companion. I went to look at the kittens and Rocky walked right up to me, climbed my shirt and put his paw on my nose. He leaned over and whispered into my ear "okay, let's go. you have to take me with you."

So, I did.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-28-2003, 03:01 PM
I adopted Tubby because his mom (a friend of mine) was moving to an apartment that didn't allow pets, and I had just bought a house and needed "something" to make it come alive. A house just seems sort of "dead" unless there is a living creature in it to welcome you home everytime you walk in the door - and Tubby has completely fulfilled that responsibility since day one. :)

I adopted Peanut because I had met her before and knew she was the sweetest little fluffball around. Then when her mom (another friend of mine) was killed by a drunk driver, there was no way I was going to let this little sweety go to the Humane Society. She was so scared when my friend's sister went to get her after the accident, and she was so scared the whole way home when I picked her up. She would have been terrified in a shelter, and I just couldn't let that happen to her. And it's been wonderful having such a loving memory of my friend around for the last 14 years. Peanut is so much like her first mom - sweet and loving and one of the best people/kitties I will ever have the honor of knowing. :)

batgirl1980
04-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Awww I love this thread!!!
Mozart:
Well, i've always been a cat person... but I had moved in with my now husband, and I wanted a dog.. (i'm just an animal person i guess!).. so we went to shelter after shelter just looking , not really intent on getting any animal at the time, we just went to ask about policies, and costs and recommendations for vets, and so on (never hurts to be prepared) and to see how the animals were taken care of.. Well, My husband about said "no" to even looking after the 3rd shelter.. ok so it was actually the humane societies we started at.. and the little areas they kept dogs in, i couldn't keep from crying, and wanting to rescue them all.. and my husband about had enough of me being upset, and even he was beginning to cry by seeing those animals faces looking so rejected, confused and lonely.. so we went home.

Well, we had hamsters, so i needed hamster food, so off to petsmart we went... and low and behold, it was adoption day.. so we got to take a look at some no kill shelters, and were VERY impressed with how they cared for the animals, and all the questions they asked US.. we still weren't going to adopt.. nope.. weren't ready... but then... walking past the line of kitties.. this little TINY orange and white kitty meowed at my husband... that was it, he was sold.. i , took a little bit longer, was like "but we aren't ready for a cat! we don't have anything for one!" and his response was "we're at a pet store! we'll BUY what he needs".. so he went to fill out the adoption paper work and be interviewed.. while i met what would become Mozart... We still just looked at each other like "oh, you?! you're my new family".. my husband got approved for Mozart, and we got a carrier for him (bought at the store), and took Mozart around the store for food, litter and everything else he needed and might want.. then off to home we went.. where he quickly decided he liked mommy better LOL..and of course, I decided he was my baby too! :D Now he's currently 3 years old, a spoiled baby, and tends to be independent more than anything.

Bach:
6 months later.. I received a call from my dad saying they rescued a cat who just had a litter...and I was already thinking Mo needed a playmate.. This time it was my husband who took convincing.. so on Thanksgiving we went out to see the kittens and visit my family.. this litte tuxie was sooo cute, although they all were... but this one, my husband picks up...and it doo doo's on him!!! :eek: i was laughing so hard, I KNEW i had to have that kitten.. so once he got old enough.. home he came, and he and mozart bonded immediately! Bach is still the baby to this day.. he's 2 and half yrs old... and makes sure to tell you when it's time to eat or play.( and whom, is now, in love with Ally here on PT!.. btw Ally.. Bach has made a note of your birthday on our calendar, it big pink letters! So expect a birthday message from him! ;) )

Eliza's story
Before we got mozart, my in laws adopted Eliza after their cat passed away..She was at a shelter totally declawed (yes,, TOTALLY! :eek:) 7 months old they were missing something, and Eliza helped fill that void. But after 2 years, they got pregnant, and decided no animals for them! And proceeded to get rid of their dogs.. and then we found out, and hurried over there and basically took Eliza without so much as "can we have her" but more like "we're taking her, where's her stuff" LOL. My dad was originally going to take her in, since 2 was our limit, but when we got her home she was so scared, and bonded with me so quickly, I knew i had to convince hubby to keep her.. it didn't take much.. all it took was one head bumpie from her, and he was sold... "no sense in giving her more stress" :D :D :D And so that's how Eliza came to be, and she is now part of the boys.. more like a sister than anything to them. (and for a further note, the inlaws ended up miscarrying, and then got another dog.. might be moving in 6 months, and we're betting that dog will be gotten rid of, so my husband and I are trying to find a home for him, because we can't sneak a dog into this teeny apartment with 3 cats , fish and a bird!)

I wouldn't change having any of my pets for anything, and love them all to pieces, and enjoy all their quirks!

aklor
04-28-2003, 07:38 PM
This is such a great thread...

Ananda: never owned a furry pet before (my allergies are inherited) but had always wanted one. After I moved into an apartment complex that allowed pets (I didn't seek this out, just happened) I figured I could finally get my very own furball. I decided I wanted an orange kitten and after getting all sorts of preparations I went to one of the the humane society. They had several litters of kittens. However, one of several orange kittens they had was alone in a cage, when I held her she just started shaking she was so terrified (she was from a stray's litter), I quickly put her back in the cage and told the people there I wanted her :)

Loki: after having Ananda for two months my apartment complex was bought out and I was able to get another cat. I had been toying with the idea for awhile, and while I was shopping for pet food at Petsmart one of the local shelters had some cats there and a grey tabby caught my eye. I picked him up and he was "velcro" kitty on my shirt. I wanted to take him home, but I didn't know how Ananda would react to another cat. However, I just couldn't get him out of my mind and I went back the next day and was elated that he was still there so I could take him home. It only took them three days to be friends and cleaning each other etc.

carole
04-28-2003, 10:28 PM
just after reading all these neat threads, i was thinking to myself, i have never really gotten to choose my own cat, ash chose us, sooti well everyone knows his story, and even lexie really my husband chose her and i had to be persuaded, as i thought she was too timid, oh thank goodness for once i listened to him.
But who cares i have been blessed to have the honour to be their mummy:)

kimlovescats
04-28-2003, 10:58 PM
Grace - My hubby and I had one kitty together for 6 years, he was our BABY, Mittens. Well, Mittens died suddenly one Labor Day morning from an lung embolism. We both were heart broken. My sister showed up with Grace at my door one evening, and I immediately starting bawling. But Grace quickly became a very special girl and no matter how many kitties come and go through our doors ... no one of them will replace sweet Grace!

Harper, Hallie & Smokey - I had rescued their pregnant mother and I kept all of her kittens. Sadly one of the 4 , Neo , passed from FIP at about 4 months of age. Thankfully though, Harper, Hallie and Smokey will be celebrating their 3rd birthdays on 5/5.

Dexter - I was visiting our local pound and Dexter stuck his big paw through the cage and meowed at me. Well, that was all it took!!!

Roxie - She was one of a litter of neighborhood kittens. Not that we "needed" another ... but she came home as a tiny kitten, and is a special part of our family!

Tucker - Another trip to the pound and I saw this teeny tiny black and white kitten. He was so adorable, I never even noticed his littermates! He was only about 7 weeks old and he stole my heart and still hasn't given it back!!! :D

Of course, as most of you know ... I have lots of rescue kitties ... but the above SEVEN are my official clan!!! :)

marysmerrycats
04-28-2003, 11:23 PM
I couldnt resist them thats what made me adopt them!

Muffin
was my nephews cat, he was allergic
then I wanted another cat, and got

Cookie ( now at the RB) at petsmart

Emma and Louise (littermates) ,

I was fostering them and didn't want to see them separated at 7 months, and I had got so attached to them, I adopted them.

I saw Charlie

at petco, with another cat that was so active, but there was little Charlie, just 8 weeks old, so scared and quiet, but so adorable, so I adopted him, I held him and had to have him!

Patches,

the little cutie was at the shelter when I went to pick up Charlie, so brought him home with Charlie!

Callie

I saw a cat at petsmart that had been given away by its owner, and I wanted her, she was so pretty, then it turned out the had mixed up cats, and I went to the humane society to get the real Callie, and then I saw

Cassie
there, she reached out to me, so she came home the next day after Callie.