PDA

View Full Version : What do you keep your dog food in?

*LabLoverKEB*
04-26-2003, 02:32 PM
What do all of you keep your dog food in? I know wierd question, lol!:o I keep Sadie's food in a clean, never used garbage can! We've never used that can for grabage, though.:)

kai
04-26-2003, 02:44 PM
That's a good idea..LOL I've never thought of a garbage can...I use a plastic container...I only holds about 1/3 of his 20lb bag

Rachel
04-26-2003, 02:46 PM
We keep the dog food in plastic pails with with tight fitting covers that originally contained detergent purchased at Sam's Club. Of course they were washed and dried prior to using them for storing the dog food, however, I have always had a bit of an uneasy feeling because they weren't specifically made *for food storage*. Anybody know if this could be a problem?

Cincy'sMom
04-26-2003, 02:48 PM
I have two "Stack and Store" units that I got from Drs Foster and Smith. I used to keep it in one of the dog bone shaped toy boxes, but wheni had to switch Cincy to a different food I needed something that was easier to keep the food separate in.

KYS
04-26-2003, 03:56 PM
I have one of those stack and store containers too.
Mine holds 50 pounds of dry dog and I keep it
inside in our service porch.
Rachel, If you keep it inside where the sun doesn't get
to the plastic and the plastic is in good shape, I
would think it would be fine.
I have heard some dogs have problems with plastic water bowls,
so I change my outside plastic water bowls every 2 years
when they start getting weathered and scratched up.

(I never really thought about the different types of plastic?)

RubyMutt
04-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by *LabLoverKEB*
I keep Sadie's food in a clean, never used garbage can! We've never used that can for grabage, though.:)

I do the same thing :D

4 Dog Mother
04-26-2003, 04:38 PM
We also use a large garbage container. With 5 dogs we buy 40lbs at a time and this container holds almost the whole bag!

Kfamr
04-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Simba's is an old cheese puffs container that we got from sam's club. Nala's is a cotainer that 8 lbs of milk bones came in that Simba got for christmas.. [we just put them in box thing.. you can see it in nala's photo.] Both of them are kept in the bottom half of the cupboard type thing my uncle made for us. On top is our human snacks, in the middle is the microwave and on bottom in shtier food, snacks, leashes and so on

Nala wanted to show you guys hers and Simba's

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p84ea018c08711f079f5656e313e06acf/fc449d16.jpg "Seee here's mine!! "*sniff sniff*

Here's a close up of each.
Nala's
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p037db4638d3b303bb1e07419fa6ca146/fc449d3f.jpg
The smaller jar is Honey's food for when she comes over here.

Simba's
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pac15082ff1fc4a7393f2f66464223ae1/fc449d35.jpg

Nala always comes running out of nowhere if she hears the cabinet opening!

Cinder & Smoke
04-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Yep! :D
Brite, shiney, 21 gallun metal Garbich Kan holdz our Krunchies, too!
Sitz rite inna hall klozit. Moved inna howze brandy new when ole Casey (GS, RB :( ) wuz a lil pup... Nebber had nuffin but Dawg Krunchiez innit!

Dad nebber openz a fresh bag till the Kan'z empty an he sweeps up the last of the lil bitz an dust; keeps it *fresh* dat way. Holds a lil more than a 35 pound bag a Krunch.

Hoomin kumpanie sumtymez duz a lil *gasp* when dey open da klozit ta hag up a coat... wunderin if dat'z where Dad putz da trash. :rolleyes:

Kat'z Krunch stayz fresh inna plastik bin wiffa *flip lid* top; it stayz inna baffroom klozit kuz his bowl is onna baffroom vanity... Sumpin bout us Dawgz keep our big mouffs outta hiz krunch when itz outta site up there.

tikeyas_mom
04-26-2003, 05:48 PM
I keep my dogs food in itsbag. in the summer sumtimes we place it in a HUGE purple thing with a lid so that mice and ear wigs cant get at it.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-26-2003, 08:07 PM
I've seen those neat stack-and-store things, in the catalogs, those are neat! I'm going to suggest one to my neighbor, he just keeps his dog food in the bag, could be very useful to him.:)

Thanks everyone for their replies!

primabella
04-26-2003, 11:12 PM
My mom bought these plastic containers that have a lid that open. lol, like any other container, right? :p

CathyBogart
04-27-2003, 02:20 AM
We have two large aritight plastic bins, one for dog food and one for cat food. If my parents knew about the rats I'd get a third for lab blocks!

wolf_Q
04-27-2003, 03:01 AM
I just keep it in the bag......I don't open it very wide, and it's kept inside the house...never had a problem with mice/bugs/etc.

Logan
04-27-2003, 04:37 AM
I have stackable bins that were purchased with dog food storage in mind (that's what they are made for). I got them at Pets Mart.

anna_66
04-27-2003, 08:05 AM
We use the stack & store plastic containers (one for Angus's food and one for the girls food), they both hold #50 of dog food, so I only have to buy it once a month:)

AmylovesMisty
04-27-2003, 08:07 AM
lol we got an old pretzel plastic thing and put some of her GREEN IAMS BAG in there...when its empty we refill it again..its so small cuz we are only feeding one dog here..that has 2cups of food a day..(vet recommended)

mugsy
04-27-2003, 08:19 AM
We use plastic bins with lids. We got them at Menards. The big one holds 70+ pounds of food (that one's on the bottom), the medium will hold 70 pounds, and the top one holds 35 pounds. The top of them is at an angle so it's easier to get into.

lovemyshiba
04-27-2003, 06:32 PM
I just use stackable storage bins that I bought at Target. I think they are rubbermaid. One is for Kito and Abbey's food, and the other one is for Riley's large breed puppy food!!!!

Hannah, my stepmom uses the exact same thing for Max's food--it's not a problem unless we're visiting--Abbey can pry the lid open:D

Dogz
04-27-2003, 06:39 PM
I keep my dog food in a garbage can too!:D

micki76
04-27-2003, 09:32 PM
I keep Chester's in a large Rubbermaid container and Millie's Wellness has a ziplock stayfresh bag.

lbaker
04-28-2003, 09:25 AM
We keep the 50 lb bags of dog food in the pantry w/ the 20 lb. cat food bags. They can't open the pantry :rolleyes: (yet)and each goes to their own bowl with no growling. They HAVE learned to open the fridge so we have to keep it closed with a bungie cord :rolleyes: :D We go through so much in a week we don't worry about it getting stale or anything.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies!

It seems the grabage can is pretty popular!:) ;)

MaxandSpike'sMom
04-28-2003, 10:09 PM
I keep Spike and Max's food in a plastic bucket that once contained bags of sunflower seeds. (my son loves to eat sunflower seeds especially while playing baseball).It sits between their bowls only because when we first got Spike we weren't sure how Max was going to behave since he is an older dog and I guess we just left it there because we really don't have anywhere else to put it or it may be because I am just too lazy.
:)

Dakota's Mommy
05-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Let's see, our 40 lbs. bags gets opened and then not quite half of it goes in the storage area of their raised bowls, most of the other half goes into the other one, and there's a little left over after filling their bowls that stays in the bag until they need another bowl fill up. But, we're getting Sierra a raised bowl in the next couple of days too so I'll have plenty of room in the 3 of those. The only problem, me trying to take the 40 lb. bag and fill it into those, not a pretty site. I need to work out more while Brian's gone, that way it will be no problem soon! I've gotten lazy lately and weak, I hate it!

lute
05-01-2003, 05:52 PM
when i had a st.bernard dog i would keep it in a big trash can with a lid.
now i keep in pretty much just sealed with a clip on a shelf.

Nomilynn
05-01-2003, 06:34 PM
I don't have dogs, but for my kitties' food, I use the medium size Rubbermaid containers. Bassett has a bin, and Tilly and Nutmeg have a bin :) It works quite well, but I don't buy the huge bags of food at a time, either!!! :D

babolaypo65
05-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Dog food is in a big rubbermaid stand up container. holds about 20lbs. Cat food is in a chef's blend (?) container with a handle, but the food isnt chefs blend.
dog TREATS are in one of those huge licorice tubs like you can get at sam's club. its perfect.

captain
05-01-2003, 07:50 PM
We keep the doggie food in a "flippy lid bin" like Phred. It is kept in the laundry.

Getting abit small now ..... as we are buying the HUGE bag of dog food, so now we also have some in a designer "Eukanuba" tin I got when I spent my life savings on dog food :D :rolleyes: AND the flippy lid bin.