PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for fleas?

Kfamr
04-25-2003, 10:08 PM
This is getting horrible. I'm sick of it. When you start finding jumping into food or on you, it's gross, and i'm really sick of it. I want to get rid of them. We've tried so many things, nothings working. We've sprayed the yard, we've given them tons of baths [inface just a few days ago gave Nala one and she's full of them] We've tryed advantage, we've tryed powders, we've tryed hartz, we've tryed flea shampoos. NONE or them work. NONE. they're crazy down here. What do you all use? Lauren says Frontline works for Honey, and her parent's use advantage on their dogs and some sort of chewable pill. Please, any suggestions welcome.:(

tikeyas_mom
04-25-2003, 10:12 PM
goto the vet and get a parscription for fleas, thats what we did for our old dog Jagger. It worked try it, good luck .

Kfamr
04-25-2003, 10:14 PM
We can't afford anything from the vet, it's too expensive. Especially since my brother just got his wisdom teeth pulled and 2 other teeth costing around $1500.

tikeyas_mom
04-25-2003, 10:21 PM
O wow, do you have them wearinbg flea collers? maybe that might help? or give them a veggie oil bath and cake it on.

Kfamr
04-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Yes, they both have flea collars. Veggie oil, what does that do?

tikeyas_mom
04-25-2003, 10:28 PM
well it sufficates the fleas. you have to let them have the oil on for around 2 hours though. and make sure no other fleas are in the house so I guess that isnt an option. maybe get an exterminator? OMG you just reminded me I have to get my wizdom teeth pulled soon eep!!

wolfsoul
04-25-2003, 10:29 PM
flea collars aren't actually good for them, and if they get them off they can poison themselves :eek:

I would try pills. I'm not too sure, as my dogds have never had fleas, but my cat had fleas once, and it drove me bonkers!!! :eek: I gave her like five baths and the fleas then went to me ( iread they aren't supposed to do that??? :confused: ) So I had fleas for a really long time, it was discusting!

One tip - fleas will not die if you hit them. You actually have to grind them between your fingertips. I know it's gross, but grind the suckers! ;)

tikeyas_mom
04-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Nither of my dogs have had fleas ither. I know my old dog Pepper used to have them BAD he was a cocker. omg it was harsh they went to the carpet and crap. I would suggest the exterminator if what you are discribing is really as bad as you say.

wolfsoul
04-25-2003, 10:35 PM
Kfamr, You must read this! It's very informative, and it will tell you which treatments will harm Simba and Nala..

http://www.wildlifeprotection.net/everything/eduFleas.html

tikeyas_mom
04-25-2003, 10:37 PM
good link wolfsoul. you are always on the ball :confused: why did I say that. lol I sounded like my mother. :eek: RUN Jynnelle RUN!!!

wolfsoul
04-25-2003, 10:40 PM
lol, don't ya hate it when that happens? *sigh*

GoldenRetrLuver
04-25-2003, 10:52 PM
Frontline is great for fleas and ticks (it works!):)

clara4457
04-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Frontline or Advantage both work very well. You can get them pretty cheaply at online sites. Use this link http://www.petsmed.com/ and it will point you to different sites that have them.

wolfsoul
04-25-2003, 11:31 PM
I found this:

Routinely monitor population levels and keep a log of your observations.
Restrict your pet's access inside your home.
Vacuum on a weekly basis during the year and daily in late summer and early fall when flea populations increase. Dispose of the filled bags by burning, composting or sealing in a black plastic bag and/or placing in the freezer for a few days or in a sunny location outside in a black plastic bag to "cook".
Weekly remove and wash all bedding and rugs with which pets come in contact.
Flea comb your pet regularly. Dip the comb in soapy water or enzyme cleaner.
Bathe your pet if the flea population starts to build up.
Only if the above procedures are insufficient, try an insect growth regulator (IGR) formulation to prevent adult flea emergence.
Spot treat infested areas indoors/outdoors with insecticidal soap and/or an IGR or a least-toxic product following the label instructions carefully and protecting yourself and others while applying them. Try spraying the carpet and lawn with natural soaps or Kleen'em Away Naturally (aka Kleen Kill) preformed enzymes at a diluted rate of 4 oz. per quart.
Try a professional steam-cleaning, enzyme- or boron based cleaners and daily vacuuming and/or negative ion plates first. Boron is toxic if ingested

Kfamr
04-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going to talk to my parents about getting Frontline.

Cincy'sMom
04-26-2003, 06:03 AM
Frontline Plus is what we use, but it is expensive (about ~$12/dose for a dog 45-88 lbs)

BioSpot is highly recommeneded by Drs. Foster and Smith and is is much cheaper (more like $3/dose). I don't know anything about it, other then it should not be used around cats and it is not water resisitant. Fosters and Smith catalog really favors it, my mom's vet doesn't care for it...( Ithink that is the one she told me) Here is more info on it BioSpot (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=12&pCatId=517&ref=2079&subref=BV)

jaquetta
04-26-2003, 07:06 AM
I agree..Frontline has worked the best for me..I have also heard that putting a little garlic in their food will keep fleas away, but this is only a rumor..I have never tried it.. But Frontline does work well...

Jaquetta

lovemyshiba
04-26-2003, 09:06 AM
We use Revolution on Abbey and Kito. It is very expensive though--$90 for a 6 month supply for Kito, $120 for Abbey's. Riley goes back to the vet on Monday, and we'll get him started then too.
Revolution works for fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and heartworm, I suppose that's why it is so expensive, with the heartworm med included.

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-26-2003, 10:00 AM
We use Advantage and Advantage Kill Tix for Draker and he is flea and tick free all the time. And we go into the woods daily serveral times for runs and walks.

Advantage and Frontline are from the vet and can also be gotten online. The store bought flea preventatives are not effective at all. You are going to have to clean the house and the yard to get rid of them. Vaccuum the carpets and put the bag out in the sun for several hours and the throw the whole bag away!! You will also need to spray the yard with some strong professional stuff. Wash all bedding and clothes, etc...

Good luck!

Corinna
04-26-2003, 10:12 AM
After a personnal experance at almost losing a pet DO NOT buy an over the counter product. I don't care how much it costs losing a pet or the vet bill to save them justifies the cost. $500.00 to save our winky . It would have been only $40.00 to have both cats done.
My vet says Bio Spot is one of the worst 1 out of 500 animals have a reaction to it . in cats that means death as there is no antadote. Luckly I had not used it, but the seazues were terrible to witness and he was in an intensive care for 3 days. I was lucky they are a caring and compassinate couple of vets.
I know how you care for your animals . just call the vet he may be able to do it for just the price of the meds. Never hurts to try.

Albea
04-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Kay Ann,
I use Frontline and it has worked very well. I also give Carina Brewer's yeast and garlic tablets all year round. Some vets believe they repel fleas, some don't, in any case they can't do any harm and the are not expensive.
Go to "Puritan's Pride" Website: www.puritan.com, and take a look at their catalog for the tablets. They are having a 3 x 1 sale now until May 1st.
I know how hard it is to get rid of fleas in Florida. Many years ago I went to visit with my brother there and I saw huge ones sitting right on the dog's flea collar.:mad:

kai
04-26-2003, 01:05 PM
I give Kai Program...so far so good...but summer hasn't come around yet so I'm not sure how well it'll work. I suppose it'll be ok since the vet recomended it to us. I heard about the garlic thing too! I was going to add garlic to Kai's homemade treats but then someone told me that since garlic are related to the onion family..I shouldn't give it to Kai..

wolfsoul
04-26-2003, 01:25 PM
I have also heard that putting a little garlic in their food will keep fleas away
Yes, scientists are still trying to figure out if this is true or not. They tested, and they said that when the dogs had garlic, they didn't get fleas, but this didn't mean that the garlic made them immune, so they are still testing.

But a little garlic wouldn't hurt if you're in for trying something new. But only give them 1-3 cloves. Anymore than that and they could get really sick.

AmylovesMisty
04-26-2003, 03:34 PM
I use frontline and misty doesnt have any flea's..just a tick here or there!

tikeyas_mom
04-26-2003, 05:43 PM
ok I talked to my mom about it and she said that the EXACT instendent happend in our new house. It was infested with fleas and we had to take the dogs to the vet for a shot and get an exterminator in. Good luck.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-26-2003, 08:11 PM
I haven't heard any great things about Advantage, but I have heard WONDERFUL things about BIO SPOT!!!! You can order it through Drs. Foster & Smith. It comes in the little 3-tube packages, and I would reccomend the shampoo. I have heard great things about it. I hope it works for you!

www.drsfostersmith.com

Type in 'flea products'!