PDA

View Full Version : how we change...

marysmerrycats
04-25-2003, 09:47 PM
ally cat's mommy's thread about geeks made me think of this...

I remember when I was about 16, 17.. and my parents would be gone for a few days or week sometimes, and my mother wanted me to take care of her plants... oh what a bother!:( she had alot of them and I didnt want to be tied down to , wow a whole 10 minutes to water them!
I never did care for them properly of course, anyway one time I remember a friend was at my house and I was telling her this, and we were joking about how... well you know... at their age, thats all they have! now, more than 20 years later, I think sheesh what witches we were! you know when you are that young you think you know it all, and the world is all yours! I used to think of that from time to time, when I was in my mid 30's and had several plants, before I got the cats! (now the plants are gone!)
isn't it funny how we change with time... and the things we made fun of as "kids", we do in later years ourselves?

anyone else have some stories?

Miss Meow
04-25-2003, 10:52 PM
Not with animals, as my mum was as bad as me when it came to bringing strays home! But every Saturday we'd have to go shopping with her and bring home armfuls of plants from markets and nurseries and I'd hate it! Now I can't wait for my own garden to fill with plants and vegetables. I even propagated cuttings last summer :eek: - mum was graceful enough to not remind me of my earlier attitude!

IttyBittyKitty
04-26-2003, 12:29 AM
I'm not that old really, but I remember when I was younger, I thought that sitting at home watching TV or just relaxing was really boring! Mum used to enjoy nothing more after a hard day at work wheras I just wanted to go out and have some fun!

Only a few short years later, I would much rather sit around at home and watch TV or read a book! What is wrong with me, I am only 21? LOL!

marysmerrycats
04-26-2003, 12:33 AM
oh, yes popcornbird... hehe just wait 20 years... but don't worry, you will be as horrified at how you were, as you are now when thinking of the future!! did that make sense? hehe, (evil witch cackle) just you wait........time is hiding and waiting to catch up to you... .....:p :p

marysmerrycats
04-26-2003, 12:34 AM
nothing is wrong with you!:)

marysmerrycats
04-26-2003, 12:35 AM
popcornbird, what things do you hate? just curious...

IttyBittyKitty
04-26-2003, 12:36 AM
I'm just "domesticated"! :D

marysmerrycats
04-26-2003, 12:39 AM
lol itty, dont worry, I was pretty tame at 21 too, then in my mid 20's I got un-domesticated again, just like in my teens...! you have many... many good years ahead of you yet:D

BastetsMum
04-26-2003, 06:53 AM
Sigh when you hit 29 and still single ittybitty then you have to worry!

As for being tamed ... nope ... not yet ... maybe not ever :D

BTW where are you in Brisbane - I live there too!

moosmom
04-26-2003, 07:33 AM
There are alot of things my mom did that I swore I would never do. My parents used to LOVE native tomato and onion sandwiches on white bread with salt, pepper and mayonnaise. I thought "UGH!! I'll NEVER eat that!". Well, guess what?? It's my favorite sandwich in the summer.

I also swore I would never de-hair the hair on my uppper lip, like my mom used to do. Again, I do it (I'm 50, whattaya want???).

I used to hate asparagus, broccoli, limabeans. Now I love them.

I think as we get older our tastes change. I know mine did. But mine changed for the better because I eat healthy stuff.

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-26-2003, 08:38 AM
Lets's see....what does my 14 year old do that drives me nuts??

Hangs all his dirty washing on the floor

Lunch plates and soda cans under the bed

Terrible music with incomprehensible lyrics

Wears weird clothes

Wants to sleep all day and stay up all night

Wants me to be a moms taxi whenever he goes anywhere

Cant go into a mall without sulking if he doesnt get something

Of course I NEVER did ANY of these things when I was a teenager!!!!! LOL:D :eek:

IttyBittyKitty
04-26-2003, 10:20 AM
...I live out in the bayside, in Thorneside :)

marysmerrycats
04-26-2003, 11:23 AM
........."Just don't tell me someday I'm going to like doing chores or like slugs, or like crazy drivers or whatever I don't like 20 years from now.".......

ok I won't tell you, its better if you find out for yourself anyway! hehe just kidding..

unless you grow up to be a weirdo, you still won't like slugs or crazy drivers! (lets hope you won't BE a crazy driver!)
as for chores, they don't get any better, BUT you will find out that once you force yourself to clean the house or whatever, it does make you feel better! (Im such a slob, and I just have to make myself get things done, then I think oh wow why did I put that off?)

:rolleyes:

slick
04-26-2003, 12:19 PM
I'm becoming more and more like my Mother every day...

Yikes!!!! Somebody help me, please!!!!:eek: :eek:

All Creatures Great And Small
04-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Oy, this thread scares me, because my daughter is 15, and about to hit the age that I was when I started giving my mother all her grey hairs! I think back to stuff I did as a teen, and wonder how I'll deal with it if and when my daughter does it! Yes, I remember being a lazy, argumentative, self-centered, totally unmotivated lump of annoyance when I was in high school, but somehow the DNA will have changed and my daughter will NEVER be that way - she'll take after my absolutely perfect :rolleyes: husband (well, at least as HE remembers himself).

Things I did: Eventually refused to go to school, and just slept in every morning until my mom would come and whack the bed with a broomstick to try and get me up........Asked if I could take her car to my job (6 miles away), and instead took it about 125 miles north to see my "boyfriend" who had moved away (mom being a smart one, she had written down the mileage before I left - I never drove her car again!).....................Got really mad at her and told her I was moving in with my aunt (her sister), and then asked for the keys to her car so I could take my stuff over there; then a few months later, wanted to move back home but told her she would have to change some of her behaviors before I would (where did I get this chutzpah from??)...............had a good old time at home while mom was working 3rd shift - as long as my dates left by 6 AM, I was safe (until the downstairs neighbors ratted me out :o ).........

I had a fairly dysfunctional family life though, with mom being bipolar and very bitterly divorced, so I probably did a lot of those things to get attention and act out. My daughter and I seem to have a pretty good relationship already, and we can talk about things that my mother would NEVER have discussed with me. I'm also way more affectionate with my daughter than my mom was with me - I only got hugged when I was getting on a plane or something, never just because. My mom even told me once that I hugged and kissed my own daughter too much, and she was going to turn into a lesbian - at first I thought she was joking but she was dead serious! (And even if she did, so what?) So I'm hoping for the best, but mentally preparing myself for the worst of the teenage years.........

I really have not become like my mother in any way; she's a liberal Democrat, and I think I'm a conservative Republican (I'm not really sure what the symptoms are, but my sister says I am ;) ), she believes in aliens and UFO's, and I don't; she's generally on another planet altogether and I'm very sensible, practical, and responsible. And I got my sense of humor and optimism from my dad, who's always in a good mood! (No wonder they got divorced!)

Uabassoon
04-26-2003, 12:53 PM
I remember when I was younger I HATED going shopping with my mom. I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever had to experience, but now whenever I go home to visit my mom I look forward to our shopping trips and now I love going shopping with my mom.

marysmerrycats
04-26-2003, 05:40 PM
I was a royal pain in the a**!
I was a pretty good little kid, 99% of the time, and in my early teens but in my late teens, 16-19 I was a pain, once I told my mother I was going out for about an hour, this was at 9 pm, and then didn't wander in til 2 AM! oh my poor mother!, my dad was out of town on business that day, she was worried sick!
but don't feel too bad for her, she was not one to stand around wringing her hands saying oh my! when I got home, she let me have it, in front of my boyfriend! she all but kicked my a**(and I deserved it LOL)
once she found a baggie...:eek: another time, I wandered in at 4 AM, but I was older then, about 22 and just visiting, had left my boyfriend, and was temporaily staying there, went out with friends... even being older, they were both still MAD! If I had told them, but they were waiting for me and I never even called! I walked in and my dad woke up, came to the door and was mad, but mostly scared, he let me know just what he thought of my insensitive behavior!

at 23 I was single again, and thru the next several years my dad always called me alot, I hated it, now I wish he was here to call and bug me! I miss his calls and him SO MUCH!!

I was a pretty easy going, and even shy as a kid, and from my mid 20's, I got more outspoken and more so with every year, even ill tempered at times, , so I went form a quiet kid to a loud mouthed adult! I have really let some people have it! cashiers, or whoever, if they pissed me off.. I would just let go! the last few years I have quieted down again... maybe I am mellowing with age???:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hmm:rolleyes:

I have to admit though, every now and then it just feels good to let someone have it... am I the only one that feels that way?
then there are times I later think oh I SHOULD have told that person... oh well!