PDA

View Full Version : Getting another foster pup tomorrow...

AdoreMyDogs
04-25-2003, 03:10 PM
wish me luck :) Don't know the gender yet, but it's a 14 week old black & white pup who was just steralized today. I'll post pics when I pick puppy up from the Humane Society tomorrow, if you all care to see him/her.

Cinder & Smoke
04-25-2003, 03:18 PM
:eek:
Hang onta yer tail, Minion...

Wurdz out yur gettin anudder YapFace inna howze!

Hey Graham & Kersey ~

You'll be bringin da New Pup to da BarkBark wiff ya ~ wont'cha??

Hope so - that way there'll be anudder young'un for Mr Binx
to pal around wiff. :D

micki76
04-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
I'll post pics when I pick puppy up from the Humane Society tomorrow, if you all care to see him/her.

Are you feeling ok? :D Of course we want all the pics we can get!! :D :D :D

Logan
04-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Leslie, you are a God-send to these foster babies! Hoping that things will go much more smoothly this time!!! :)

Cincy'sMom
04-25-2003, 05:27 PM
A black and white puppy? Now why in the world would we EVER want to see that :D

Can't wait for the pictures!!! Good Luck Leslie!!!

tatsxxx11
04-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Now Leslie, why would we EVER want to see pics of a precious, needy, beautiful 14 week old, post op puppy???;) You've got exactly one hour after he's settled to post pics!!:D Graham, Kersey, Minion, time to roll out the welcome mat!!!:) Leslie, you're amazing!

PayItForward
04-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Giving AdoreMyDogs an hour to post pictures ?

Isn't that a bit on the generous side.

What about 5 minutes ?? :D

AdoreMyDogs
04-25-2003, 10:44 PM
You all are so funny :) I'll post pics within moments of puppy coming here...and Phred, nope, he/she won't be going to the bark park because I will only have the pleasure of having the puppy for a week. There's a huge adoption event at the Detroit Zoo called "Meet Your Best Friend At The Zoo" and that is next weekend. I will be taking the puppy to the event and dropping him/her off.

slick
04-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Any pictures yet??

Cookiebaker
04-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Aww how exciting for you!!! Can't wait to see pictures of the black&white puppy!!! :)

Cincy'sMom
04-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Patiently awiting the pics of the puppy....

AdoreMyDogs
04-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Here's Jessie :)

They actually told me that she's a pointer/English setter mix. She looks like a border collie mix. Regardless of her bloodlines, she's darling and very active. She was just spayed, so I am supposed to be keeping her fairly calm :rolleyes: that's not going to be an easy task!

She was found tied up to a fence and she had been tied there for two days w/o any food or water :( She was taken but no charges were pressed against anyone yet. Such a shame. A little puppy being tied with a very short lead to a fence for two days :( Shame on the people who did it.

Anyway, she's taking a nap now so I can post her pics now, as promised.

Playing with Graham & Kersey:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pe5a311ec9c634fd9f94df3bbdebc7de8/fc44b62c.jpg

Submissive puppy:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pcc4db69b54a496bde4cd84cee13b6332/fc44b605.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pdef5204afe53f0c257fe942f27b21671/fc44b67f.jpg

very cute little girl:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p5acd45f538771625b6cfe128787f418c/fc44b699.jpg

This is what happens when I try to take an action shot of a puppy:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p4d9caa0c7c632a7bf472a71b78aaafe7/fc44b6a8.jpg

Cincy'sMom
04-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Okay, I can pick her up tomorrow? (J/K!)

She is adorable!!! I'm sure she'll have a blast with Graham and Kersey...just hope she isn't too much of a handfull, as puppy can sometimes be! Enjoy your week with her! She looks a little like one of Tracy (Crickit's) dog ( Can't remember if it is Smudge or Winter I am thinking of...)

Cookiebaker
04-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Awwwwwwww!! I like that puppy!!! Looks like a fun pup to have around. :)

Shame on the responsible party!! :grrrrrrrr: How can anybody do that??? :mad:

slick
04-26-2003, 03:31 PM
What a beautiful facie!! How could such creeps tie you up without food and water. Sigh. Guess the world continues to hold stupid people with no compassion. Not to worry Jessie. You are in a loving foster home now and will never again do without.

Vermontcat
04-26-2003, 04:01 PM
She is a cutie!:) I love black and whites!
Has Minion met her yet? I am curious to see if he likes Jessie as much as Graham and Kersey seem to.
(He wasn't happy with your other foster pups as I recall)

ramanth
04-26-2003, 05:36 PM
Jessie is SO cute!!! 14 weeks... I'm thinking a tiny puppy.... she's not so tiny! LOL!

I hope she finds a loving forever home.

Karma will get the jerks that left her tied up. :mad:

lizbud
04-26-2003, 07:35 PM
Leslie,

She is Adorable, such beautiful eyes. :) Total Cutie :) :)

She's a lucky puppy to have a great foster Momma like you.

AdoreMyDogs
04-26-2003, 09:19 PM
OMG I just HAVE to post again to tell you all how incredibly sweet she is! She's an absolute joy! I just love her temperment. She is really smart too. She seems to know that outside is for potty (sofar, anyway), and we taught her to "sit" on command today. I was amazed that she learned so quick, although she's not perfect yet. Seems to be a smart little thing. That also makes me wonder if she's got border collie in her. And BOY can she RUN! She's a little ball of energy. I have not seen her sleep yet, but I know she's capable of it :)

She has a really big bark. I was shocked when I heard her bark. Her bark is very deep and basey. It does not sound at all like a puppy bark, it sounds like a full grown, very large dog bark. Really nice sounding. Like a real meangiful bark. She's a good girl :)

Kater
04-26-2003, 11:55 PM
OOoooooooh -- I see border collie mix :):):D:D (but I do also see where they could get Pointer/English Setter)! What a darling! Too bad you'll only have her around for a short time!

anna_66
04-27-2003, 08:46 AM
I bet she will be snatched up in seconds, a sweet little good girl like her!
Have fun this week:D
Thanks for the pictures!

lovemyshiba
04-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Oh, she is darling!!
I was also expecting tiny puppy pictures--nope!!!!
I cannot believe she was left that way :mad: :mad: :mad:

She is lucky to have you for a foster mom, and I'm sure she will find a wonderful loving forever family!!!

Sudilar
04-28-2003, 06:53 PM
How absolutely adorable!! You are so wonderful for fostering the little love (who, BTW, isn't so LITTLE!). She will definitely be hard to let go....

AdoreMyDogs
04-28-2003, 09:33 PM
She knows how to sit, shake a paw, and she barks at the door when she has to go potty. She has not messed in the house yet! She's going to make a really perfect dog. She followes me around everywhere and loves to sit in my lap (although she also loves to chew on my hands, clothes while there, so she only gets to stay there for a couple of minutes) :)

For a pup, she's actually fairly mellow. She has her playful times, but she also likes to kick back and relax. She'll be hard to let go, but she's going to be adopted in a flash with her wonderful qualities :)

Thanks everyone :)

By the way, Minion is one unhappy little kitty. Hopefully he'll realize that Jessie is not here to hurt him.

Cincy'sMom
04-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Glad to hear things are going well. She should make a wonderful pup for someone!

Hang in there Minion, she won't be 'round too long :)

anna_66
04-29-2003, 06:01 AM
Hope Minion gets over his unhappiness soon:)

Dakota's Mommy
05-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Oh, what a cutie though! I'm a little late at seeing the pics, but they are so cute!

captain
05-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Oooooooooooooo - black and white spotties on the front left paw .........

Congrats on fostering this precious girl, and for taking the time to help her find a new home.

I hope the person who left her tied to a fence ends up tied to a tree in the middle of nowhere ...........:mad:

(AND THAT IS NICER THAN WHAT I WANT TO SAY!!!)

tatsxxx11
05-01-2003, 05:53 PM
What a not so small doll baby!! And such a smart and GOOD girl!!:) Must be that Leslie touch! And I'll bet Graham and Kersey and she have shared a lot of doggie tips!!:D Thank you Leslie for your GREAT, BIG HEART!! It'll be hard to let her go, I know!! She's going to be scooped up in flash!:) Hugs to you Jessie!!

Cincy'sMom
05-01-2003, 06:48 PM
How are things going Leslie?

Cincy'sMom
05-01-2003, 06:49 PM
How are things going Leslie?

Ellie is doing really good in class. Her dad works very well with her! I hope Jessie finds as good of home as Ellie did :)

AdoreMyDogs
05-01-2003, 08:52 PM
She's just so darn cute!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pc6916a11d9180b9040a08791baf96645/fc3b6eac.jpg

Jessie and Graham posing:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p8b143a29fb83ba69eb06c441780a29fa/fc3b6eda.jpg

Kersey, the very best foster sister and babysitter ever:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p147b96e63d439466e99a9d9f4936f4c4/fc3b6ec4.jpg

Thanks for asking about her. I am real busy, not posting much lately, but thought I'd stop by to "check in" and give you a Jessie report. She goes to the adoption event on Sunday. It'll be hard to see her go, but it'll be nice to get my life back to the way it was :)

Amy, that's amazing that you are in class with Ellie and her dad. Have you told him yet that you are a friend of mine? Have you by chance invited him to the dog park on Mem. day weekend? I tried to email him and invite him last p.t. meeting, but his email box was full and it was bounced back to me. It'd be nice if you could tell him (if you feel comfortable, of course) about the dog park, since I was not able to email him.

Cincy'sMom
05-01-2003, 09:11 PM
I did talk to Halle when Grahama nd Kersey were here and told her I knew you. I did not think to mention Memorial Day, but I will try to remember before the end of claass (we have 2 weeks left). Ellie really does seem to be doing well with them. She is full of energy and always seems to push theedge a bit, but they seem have good control of her and seem to enjoy her a lot.

The pictures of Jessie are adorable!! She is just too cute!!! I love those paws!!! If I didn't have 3....

Vermontcat
05-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
She's just so darn cute!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pc6916a11d9180b9040a08791baf96645/fc3b6eac.jpg

I love this photo of Jessie! She is such a cute little tux puppy with one sleeve rolled up!:D
Just look at that sweet face!:)

Crikit
05-01-2003, 10:23 PM
Oh she is a cutie. Amy you're right she sort of does remind me of one of my dogs...actually she kind of looks like a combo of Smudge and Winter. Winter's body but Smudge's head, she's even black and white to.

Kater
05-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Jessie is so adorable! :D:D:D I still say BORDER COLLIE MIX! And I'm with Crikit -- Jessie looks like a combo of Smudge and Winter!

I wish I could adopt her! :(

AdoreMyDogs
05-03-2003, 10:10 PM
:( Tomorrow is the day Jessie and I part. I have been crying on and off all day. It's supposed to get easier, but this little pup and I are even more bonded then the last batch and I were. I adore her and I just can't stand the thought of not knowing who she is going to be adopted by.

She is so attached to me and I am to her :( She's become a beloved member of my family, and I am just devistated. I doubt I will be taking in any more fosters (I know I said that last time), because it's even harder to let Jessie go then it was Saph and Ellie. She and I just click :( Please wish my little friend a happy future. I am just a mess :(

I drove by the zoo where they had the "adopt your best friend at the zoo" event, which she will be going to tomorrow and I couldn't stop crying. :(

Sudilar
05-03-2003, 10:57 PM
I know EXACTLY how you feel, Leslie. Sending you big HUGS and prayers for strength.

Good luck, little Jessie.

Angels3
05-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Jessie is gorgeous...beautiful face (I can see why it's thought she has English Pointer in her).
I understand how sad you feel to see her go to be adopted..& how concerned you are for her future.

I foster for Tibetan Spaniel Rescue & I've felt like you so many times, abosolutely full of grief & anxiety to see my fostered furries go...UNTIL I realized how all of them had gone on to WONDERFUL homes where they were loved in very special ways.

Here's a pic of my last fostered Tibbie...that I loved so much that it nearly broke my heart to part with him. Would anyone love him as much as I did, I kept wondering? Well, look at this pic & you will see him looking up at his new owner with so much love & trust in his face....ONLY 1 week after going to his new home.
(His name is Zou Chai which means 'Good Luck' in Chinese.)

There will a similar happy ending for the lovely Jessie, too!

Cheers,
Marie

Cinder & Smoke
05-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Bye Jessie! ;) :(

Put on yur Best :) tomorrow - so'z ya find a Nice Fambly!

Hey Leslie ~
Make sure the Adopt-a-thon folks put YOUR Name & Number on her file...
So if she isn't placed tomorrow -
YOU get the call to pick her up.

But I don't think you need to worry...
Jessie ought to have a crowd of folks wanting her!

Happie New Home, Jessie!
We're sure gonna miss ya!!

zippy-kat
05-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Aww, what a sweetie she is Leslie! I sincerely hope she finds her forever home tomorrow.

{{Huggs to the both of you}}

anna_66
05-04-2003, 08:00 AM
It must be hard letting them go, but just think of all the good you did. I hope she finds a wonderful home.
{{{Hugs}}}

Cincy'sMom
05-04-2003, 08:36 AM
I'm sure Jessie will find a wonderful home Leslie, and that is because of you! A puppy that already knows so many commands? Who wouldn't want her! Who knows? Maybe you will find out who she is adopted by....maybe she'll show up at the Park, or in a class and then you will know :)

We'll be thinking of you both

Rachel
05-04-2003, 08:57 AM
This is so bitter-sweet. Do they just let somebody come up to the park and fill out the form and take the dog right then and there? I know that is how it is done at most shelters too, but now that we've got to know Jessie, we just want her to have the best home there is. Leslie, I'm crying with you.

Kater's signature speaks to the lifespan of our fur kids, but I think it applies to situations such as this one as well.

*We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan.*
~Irving Townsend

Sudilar
05-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Leslie, do they do a home check and family meet before they adopt out?

Thinking of you today.

Today I will be attending the first meeting of the new German Shepherd Dog Rescue of Northern Illinois. I am so excited!

tatsxxx11
05-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Oh Leslie, wipe those sad tears...as much as your heart is breaking, remember that it's only because of the selfless devotion of people like you and Sue and Angel and countless others that it is possible for beautiful, deserving pups like Jessie to find their forever homes...And yes, please do make sure that you give your name and info. in the unlikely event that Jessie doesn't "go home" tomorrow!! I know that many rescue groups link up the foster home and new adopters in case there are questions.

Leslie, it's no wonder they say that fostering is probably the most difficult job in rescue; you fall in love with your precious charges and it takes the ultimate in selfless love to let them go. Thank you, and thanks to Graham, Kersey, Minion and Dan for being so supportive!!:) You are ALL angels!! Please let us know how it goes. And if you need to take a break for a while, do that. But I have a feeling you'll be back!!:)

And Sue, I'm so excited for you!! Your first event with GSD Rescue of Northern Illinois!! Woo hoo!! Please update us when you can, and OF COURSE, hugs and kisses to Killian and Shiloh!!:)

Sudilar
05-05-2003, 07:07 PM
So, Leslie, what happened???

tikeyas_mom
05-05-2003, 09:36 PM
aww she is so cute, :D

AdoreMyDogs
05-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Thank you all so much. I am so glad to have you all with me as I go through the heartache of letting Jessie go. It was just 8 days but it does not take long for very special pups to find their place in my heart. She had me hooked at day one!

Sadly, I have no idea who Jessie went to. I can only hope that it's a wonderful home where she will be cherished. I asked the MHS to find out anything they could on her adoptive family. The MHS does NOT do home checks, especially at that huge adoption event (the largest adoption event in the U.S.) and they litterly adopt hundreds upon hundreds of dogs, cats, rabbits, and other critters. The fees are the same as if you adopted them from the MHS, but the screening can't be quite as thorough since there are so many animals to adopt out.

With the steep adoption rates, and the adoption screening, I am really trying to think positive about Jessie getting a good home.

I did, however, put my name on a list that requests that I be called if Jessie were to ever come back to the MHS for any reason, even if it were aggression. I told them that I will adopt her if she comes back. Lets hope she does not, though, as much as I love her. If she did, I'd just never be able to live with myself knowing that I let her go in the first place.

I am just so heartbroken still. Her crate is still set up with the chewed up newspaper and the blankets in it. It still hurts and I wonder if I made a mistake in not adopting her. She and I just clicked right away and she loved me as much as I loved her :( She cried all the way to the MHS when I dropped her off on Sunday. It absolutely broke my heart. The sound that she was making during the trip back to the MHS was the saddest thing I think I have ever heard. I KNEW that she was truly crying, and not just whining. It was a real cry sound. We cried together, let me tell you. We sobbed together :(

I know that it'll get easier every day, and I trust that God will protect my beautiful friend and make sure she gets a good home. I am certain that was my last foster. I just can't do it any more. Jessie was, I think, my grand finale.

Thanks for the wonderful words, everyone. I truly appreciate it. It's so nice to have all those cyber shoulders to cry on, and have you all understand my pain. Hugs to you all :)

-Leslie, Graham, Kersey & Minion

Sudilar
05-05-2003, 10:29 PM
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/traurig/sad-smiley-014.gif I know the feeling. I'm sure the little darling will be well taken care of. The not knowing is hard, though. Fostering is very hard. (I still mourn the passing on to RB of my first foster, Gaylord.) I hear that my other foster Bandit is doing well and being very spoiled.

Sending you big HUGS.

captain
05-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Oh boy there are tears in my eyes as I read your post.
You truly bonded, and I truly feel that she was a better dog because of it.

If their screening process is so strict, seems like we can be sure that she would have gone to someone special.

We will always be here as shoulders to cry on ......

Angels3
05-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Leslie, it looks good for The Jessie Girl. I agree that the high adoption costs & adoption screening & contacts for possible return are the greatest safeguards she has for a wonderful future.

And I know just what you mean when you say that right now you couldn't face doing a foster again. That's exactly what I always feel like, too. But, after a while, it's got thro' to me...that there always was a wonderful future waiting for my little furry foster Tibetan Spaniels. And if I hadn't been part of the rescue, they would've had no future at all.

So now I keep saying to myself...'Little foster Tibbie, there's a wonderful life waiting for you out there. We just can't see it yet.'

But the feelings of anxiety & grief when each Tib departs can never be stilled. And I find the greatest comfort comes from my fellow rescuers just being there for me. We have an email list called OzDogRescue where dog rescuers from all around australia talk with each & support each other. Couldn't do without it!

Thinking of you, Leslie....& feeling along with you at this time.
Marie

Rachel
05-06-2003, 07:53 AM
Leslie, I feel the pain in your words and it has settled in my heart.

Please God, protect little Jessie and let her find the bliss of a loyal, caring, devoted, forever family and a long and healthy life. Leslie wants the very best for her.

Sudilar
05-06-2003, 09:48 AM
How ya doin today, Leslie? Better I hope.

With my last foster, Bandit, my family really wanted us to keep him. He was such a fun dog, gorgeous and active, too. However, Shiloh decided she did not want to keep him, so that was that. We always think of him, though, especially when we see a dark-faced GSD. sigh I personally fell in love with Gaylord (and I told him that every chance I got), but God wanted him more...

As I think more about it, it seems that maybe we don't completely get over giving up the dogs that really aren't ours to keep. They all take a little of our hearts with them. But if we don't do it, they can't be saved, can they? As I said before, fostering is hard.

{{{HUGS}}}

Dakota's Mommy
05-06-2003, 11:47 AM
I'm so sorry that you had to let this precious girl go! I balled just reading your post! Good luck with finding out what happened to her and I hope from the bottom of my heart that she went to a loving, caring family just like one of us on here!

lovemyshiba
05-06-2003, 12:30 PM
I truly hope that sweet Jessie got a wonderful family. She sure sounds like an incredible dog. Only time will heal your sadness, but at least you did get to know her, and have an impact on her life, if only for a short time!!

Stenograsaurus
05-07-2003, 11:59 AM
I am sitting here with tears running down my face right now. I can feel your pain. I am sorry you have to go through that but I am so thankful you were available to help save the life of such a precious dog. You're in my prayers.

Logan
05-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Leslie, I hope you are feeling better today. I know, too well, the feeling that you are experiencing. Remember, I went through it terribly with Splash last summer. :(

And I have posted today that we will take in another foster or two, if needed, because of a dire situation that has occured in NC (separate post, here in Dog Rescue). I hope my heart, my children, my husband, my dogs and cats can handle it!!! We just do what we have to, to help all of them. And we cry lots of tears when they leave us. At least with a "breed" type rescue, you can be a part of the decision as to where they end up. Maybe you can foster again. Give it some time. Those dogs certainly benefit from being under your care. And they are much better suited for their future homes as a result. :)