PDA

View Full Version : How long/far do you walk?

micki76
04-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Just curious, how long/far do you walk your dog?
I walk Millie and Chester almost every day and I'm never sure when enough is enough for them. Sometimes it's once around the block and they seem ready to head for home, and other times I can't tell if they're ready to go in or not. :rolleyes:
I guess they're like me and some days all they want is a short walk, and if they're feeling particularly spunky, or the weather's really nice, a long walk is in order!

ParNone
04-25-2003, 11:00 AM
Hi Micki!

Well normally I poop out before Murph or Oz, but there have
been a few times hiking, where I've had to carry Murph back
to camp. He normally walks about 6 ft in front of me. If his
pace slows to where he's walking a couple of steps behind me,
then I figure he's tired and I'll carry him.

Have only been hiking twice with Oz so far and he didn't show
any signs of being tired. As we do more, I'm going to have to
try and become more aware of where his limit's at, long before
he reaches it, because I couldn't carry him back if I wanted to.

Maddie's really not into exercise, so she's usually pooped by
the time we reach the front door. If I take her walking, it's
via the backpack.

Par...

lute
04-25-2003, 11:06 AM
beanie and i go for a walk for half an hour to an hour everyday....sometimes we go to the compleatly fenced in park to play and run till he almost falls down...then he realizes his age(8)......they should call that park a dog park the only people that go there bring their dogs.....my friends and i bring our dogs atleast 2-3 times a week.

tikeyas_mom
04-25-2003, 11:11 AM
I walk Tikeya and Oscar at the same time, it is very coinfuseing lol one wants to go one way and the other wants to walk a different way lol..

I usually walk 2 blocks to a dog park then I let them loos to play and then walk out the back way through a nabourhood, visit the other dogs on that street ;).

Then walk another 3 blocks home :D.

Cataholic
04-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Binx and I were walking one mile, 2 times a day. We are going to cut back to a half mile once a day, till I see how he feels. My vet says to let him be the guide...and I can tell pretty soon if he is just too tired to walk- like when we had a burst of warm weather. The first block was slow...so, home we went.

ramanth
04-25-2003, 12:06 PM
If the weather is nice, Kia gets a 2 mile walk.

One day we walked 5 miles! :eek: It was such a nice day and we just walked and walked... :D

*LabLoverKEB*
04-25-2003, 01:19 PM
I walk Sadie around the block twice a day.
:)

lovemyshiba
04-25-2003, 01:33 PM
For potty trips, we only go out for about 20 minutes or so, about 5 times a day for Kito and Abbey. Riley just goes right in the front yard to pee, but he gets walks later.
I try to get Abbey and Kito out together for a long walk, around 2 hours or so, and I'm sure Riley will be joining that mix as soon as I figure out how to do it!!!!

micki76
04-25-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I try to get Abbey and Kito out together for a long walk, around 2 hours or so, and I'm sure Riley will be joining that mix as soon as I figure out how to do it!!!!

This is what we use for our two:http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_15549.shtml (http://)

They have longer ones too, and even a three dog one!

Kfamr
04-25-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by micki76
This is what we use for our two:http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_15549.shtml (http://)

They have longer ones too, and even a three dog one!

I want to get something like that for Simba an Nala, we have a two dog leash but it has so many knots in it, the loop to connect a handle to doesn't move into the right spot. I used to use it when i took Simba for rollerblades. Sim and Nala get to go outside whenever they want and normally get a walk around the block every few days. I hope to start walking them more since Sim is so fat and Nala has so muhc energy... simba normally only goes half way around the black adn starts getting tired lol. Nala could go for blocks and blocks!

primabella
04-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Mickey's walks are usually once around the block (the long way. I take as many detours as I can to not reach home too soon) and maybe pass by the park. This summer, i want to take walks with him daily but not now. It is still kinda cold and I don't think he even likes it to much. He loves wlaks though, but he's getting to be a puller on the leash. That gets me frustrated :mad: but he's starting to improve. Our last walk was really long and very enjoyable. There was a nice breeze and he wasn't pulling.

We don't take walks for pottying. He goes in the yard for that. He actually has never really peed on a walk :eek: He did once and I was so happy. lol :p

gkristian
04-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by primabella
Mickey's walks are usually once around the block (the long way. I take as many detours as I can to not reach home too soon) and maybe pass by the park. This summer, i want to take walks with him daily but not now. It is still kinda cold and I don't think he even likes it to much. He loves wlaks though, but he's getting to be a puller on the leash. That gets me frustrated :mad: but he's starting to improve. Our last walk was really long and very enjoyable. There was a nice breeze and he wasn't pulling.

We don't take walks for pottying. He goes in the yard for that. He actually has never really peed on a walk :eek: He did once and I was so happy. lol :p

The only time Foxy has peed out side of the yard was abot a month ago at obedience. When your taking Mickey for walks take him late at night or early in the morning because it to hot during the day.

KYS
04-25-2003, 05:52 PM
Mike takes Pepper for a nice long walk every day rain or
shine and to the Park on Sundays.

I on the other-hand........ :rolleyes:
My Aunt, and I walk Rocky and Sheba around the block,
and on Sunday, I take one of them to the Park with Mike/Pepper.

Pepper is full of energy and takes after Mike,
the big dogs take after me. :)

wolfsoul
04-25-2003, 06:13 PM
I take Timber out for runs with my bike everyday for about 3-5 hours long..:D We usually go out twice a day, the second time usually being shorter than the first, but I atleast always make it once a day ;)
The runs go everywhere, so I can't really say how far we go lol. We go to the beach, the park, sometimes to visit our doggy friends and so on..

Dogz
04-25-2003, 09:33 PM
I run a mile to a half a mile every day, and of course Prince, Otis, Digger/Chubby comes with me too! They get way more exercise then that, 'cause I can't let them be lazy.. unless I'm taking pics!;):P

Cookiebaker
04-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Hmmmm...Malone usually gets a medium size walk in the morning (around a half mile) and then about a mile in the afternoon.Then on the weekends or whenever we have the time we go for a run down the snowmobile trail which is 2 miles round trip.

iceyshiver21
04-26-2003, 03:38 PM
We bike a mile everynight.