PDA

View Full Version : to pierce or not to peiece?

marysmerrycats
04-24-2003, 10:52 PM
On Easter, at my brothers, the parents of a baby girl were having a disagreement about getting her ears pierced, seems like most everyone agreed with the father, that it would be cute, she is only 9 months old, the babys mother, myself and my brother were the only ones that think she is too young, I was just wondering what the opinion on here would be ?

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-24-2003, 10:58 PM
I was raised....
that that is too young.... but my sister was raised the same and pierced my neices years when she was three.

I wouldn't do it because I heard you can develop metal allergies as you get older and you won't be able to wear them anyway.

My mom made us wait till we were 13... but I think she gave in at 10... it was so long ago I can't remember... BUT I DO REMEMBER... being sooo excited to finally get it done.. and I think that is a special thing for a mom and daughter to be able to experience together..:)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-24-2003, 10:59 PM
CONGRATULATIONS. ... ON YOUR 700 POST!!!!!!
:D

Uabassoon
04-24-2003, 11:01 PM
I personally don't see anything wrong with it. I had my ears pierced as a baby in the hospital by a nurse. It doesn't hurt anymore than a shot, and when the child grows older if she decides she doesn't like it she can just simply take them out and then the holes will close up. Now I know that not everyone agrees with me on this, and I don't really expect very many people to agree with me on this. But in a lot of hispanic cultures it is normal for girl to get their ears pierced when they are babies. All the girls in my family got their ears pierced when we were babies.

marysmerrycats
04-24-2003, 11:27 PM
thanks Sara!:D

lovemyshiba
04-24-2003, 11:43 PM
I had mine done when I was 4, and I don't remember it. I never had any problems though. Teeny tiny babies--I don't know--it is sort of cute, and I'm sure they don't even feel it.
I guess I'm not help on this one, just thinking about it now.....

marysmerrycats
04-25-2003, 12:33 AM
I just love all your signatures, they're so cute!

Cheshirekatt
04-25-2003, 01:20 AM
I see nothing wrong with it as long as it's done by a qualified professional. I wouldn't let anyone near me or anyone I loved with a piercing gun. They don't sterilize those things and they're little bacteria breeding factories.

It's very traditional in some cultures and if it's done when the baby is young enough they don't mess with them while they're healing.

Here's my story:
I begged and begged and begged my mom to let me get my ears pierced. When I was 8 she finally relented and took me in. I always heard that they used a "gun" but I didn't know anything about it. My older brother was with me and told me they stood you up against a wall and shot you with the "gun" and somtimes they missed! LOL He was such a butt head! I freaked out and wouldn't let them near me with the gun for fear I was going to get shot. Hehe. I let them do it about a year later.

Soledad
04-25-2003, 03:21 AM
This really is a cultural issue. I had my ears pierced when I was two days old. When we moved to the States, I was shocked that girls had to wait till they were thirteen. I did not understand the connection to puberty with earrings. It's not like boys will suddenly think you're 16 because you're an eight year old kid wearing earrings (most likely shaped like a heart or a rainbow).

So, to me, it was weird and ridiculous to wait when you could just have it done as a baby and be done with it.

PayItForward
04-25-2003, 05:34 AM
I had to wait until I was 13 before I have my ears pierced.

Also our local primary schools (between the ages of 5 to 11 years) does not allow pupils to wear any jewellery including ear rings.

carole
04-25-2003, 06:11 AM
personally i dont agree with piercing a babies ears.
I know there are some cultures who do this, the indians for one and hispanic as you mentioned, i wonder what the reason behind it is, can someone please explain.
It may only be like having a shot, but why put your baby through pain it does not need to feel,for what because you think it looks cute.
And yes i do have have my daughters ears done and my own, but she was 8 years old and it was her CHOICE, however there maybe something in what was said that regarding cartilage in the ears, as i was 18 when i had mine done, and i dont care what anyone says it did hurt and they throbbed for around 2hrs after.

I also had trouble with one of my daughters ears, kept getting swollen, etc, it took around two years to come right, i am sure some of these babies ears get infected too or they have some problems, sure they can grow over if you dont want them when you are older, but then what was the point in the first place ,beats me,, i guess i am on my own in this way of thinking , but thats how i feel on the subject, maybe i am old fashioned who knows, but i dont think its cute at all.

04-25-2003, 06:19 AM
I don't agree either! The risk that the baby tears it of and hurts her ear, is to high. I also think it is much better to let the girl decide on her own if and when she wants it done. I was about 22 when I got my ears pierced; it got infected; since then, I can only wear gold...

Soledad
04-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Every girl in my family has come out of the hospital with earrings on. No one has pulled them off or had infections because of them.

Piercing the ear does not hurt the babies. It's a lot more painful as you get older.

The earrings put into babies ears are not hoops or dangly, they are studs. Very small ones.

What is cute varies from culture to culture and generation to generation. I suppose my mother did it because that's just what is done. When I look back at baby pics of me, I do find it quite cute. But that's just my opinion.

It's hardly an abusive thing to do. I mean, considering people circumcise their boys. Now, THAT I question the necessity/safety of.

anna_66
04-25-2003, 07:09 AM
I don't see a problem with it and think it's very cute. Lots of people I know have gotten their little girls ears pierced and never tore them out, and never got infected.
I wish it would have been an option when I was a baby, I got mine pierced at 11 and they got infected & it was really painful:(

Jessica12345
04-25-2003, 07:23 AM
I guess I can see both sides of the argument, but if I had a choice, i would have rathered get them done as a baby. :)

Karen
04-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Okay, I can speak to this issue, as I used to work at an Earring Tree - a chain store that sells jewelry, and where you can get your ears pierced.

1. Cartilage has nothing to do with it. Piercing is done BELOW where the ear cartilage is at any age, unless you start doing multiple piercings, and go "up" the ear. Piercing is done in the soft fleshy part of the ear.

2. The store had a policy not do do anyone under the age of 4 IF there was only one employee on. With two employees, you can do both ears simultaniously, so even if the child freaks out (there's a noise from the "gun" as well as the pinch of the skin being pierced) both ears are done, no harm, no foul. So this policy didn't have physiological reasons, just psychological ones.

I pierced the ears of a teeny baby once, two weeks old, when I was the only one there. She was asleep, and her mom held her facing forward. I pierced one ear, she squawked a little in her sleep, then tilted her head to that side, so then I did the other. She was less trouble than many 20-something I did, who got themselves all worked up about it before coming in!

Metal allergies can happen at any age. My family tends toward them, so I never pierced my ears, nor did my mother or sister. I just never saw the point of it, I guess! (I did, though, have to wear magnetic earring to work at the Earring Tree, just to not freak out customers - "what? yours aren't done? Then it must REALLY hurt!")

Tina
04-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Rob and I went through the samething when Kaitlynn was around 8 months old. Of course he wanted to have it done he thought it would be cute. Yeah it is cute. But wonder if the child grows up and doesn't want her ears pierced? I told him no that we should wait till she is old enough to understand and decide for herself. Then we will go and have them done.

Yeah their holes can grow over if they decide they don't like them. But I'm not going to take the chance. I'd rather wait till she is 7 or 8 years old and have them done if she wants them done. That is just my opinion.

marysmerrycats
04-25-2003, 10:20 AM
well it is a matter of choice, and everyone has their own opinion of course, but I personally don't agree with it. I just don't see the point either. I was 15 when I got mine pierced( I supose I would have been allowed earlier if I had asked), and that was older than most kids, I don't see anything wrong with it from about age 10-12, but I kind of think before that is too young.

tikeyas_mom
04-25-2003, 11:48 AM
I got my ears done when I was 6 months old :). I think it is cute on lil girls :).

Edwina's Secretary
04-25-2003, 12:17 PM
When I was about 12 my sister and I were sitting around when she decided to pierce my ears. An ice cube and a sewing needle.

She did my mother's too.

So I guess I'm making the argument for "too young to know any better!" (Although how do I explain my mother???)

ramanth
04-25-2003, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't do it, but my cousin's have pierced their babies ears and so far no problems have arrose from it.

I'd wait to let the child make the decision.

Andie
04-25-2003, 01:02 PM
OK I'm an ear piercing junkie (though I have reached my limit) and I had my first holes done at 7 (i wanted them done when i was younger) and I had my mom reopen them a few times. I got my second holes done around 13 (and after a while they closed up too) with my mom's permission and they were redid for my JR. Prom and I added a cartilage piercing. Finally I got a thrid set in my lobe for my 19th birthday. ( and I wonder why I get earrings for my birthday and Christmas LOL )

I personally don't see any problem with younger kids getting their ear pierced but I think that if it's going to be done that both parents should agree on it. So I suggest putting off the baby's ear peircing days til both parents can agree that she's at the right age.

Chinadoll
04-25-2003, 01:30 PM
I find it interesting that in a few cases posted, the Dad's have wanted it done and the Mom's objected. From most instances I've witnessed, it's just the opposite.

I don't see a problem with it. My mother had mine done when I was less than a year old. Never had any problems. I'm glad she had it done when I was that young. I'm a big chicken with needles and would have been so paranoid to have it done later on. Even though my mom wanted to pierce my sister's ears when she was a few months old, my step-father did not want it done. So they waited until Jillian was about 10. One got infected. Jillian hated dealing with it so she let them close up. A few months ago, she had them pierced again. No problems this time.

For a baby, I think at a few months old it shouldn't be a problem. I also think that as a baby, the mom has more control over making sure the earrings stay in and that it's kept clean. I think part of the problem with my sister the first time she got them pierced was that she kept playing with it and didn't follow the instructions they gave her.

But, it's really up to mom and dad. I don't see it hurtimg the child either way...if she gets it done as a baby or later on.

carole
04-25-2003, 03:29 PM
well you all seem to be mostly for this, well i am still sticking to my guns, what happened to freedom of choice, next it will be ok to pierce their belly buttons as well, if its a cultural thing well i think thats abit different, i respect different cultures,not that i necessarily agree with them.
But i suppose the parents make the choices for their children all throught their lives, so i suppose they will just have to have them pierced whether they like it or not.
It just seems silly to do it because i quote most of you 'ITS CUTE' your baby girls are cute enough arent they?
Well everyone is entitled to their opinions, and mine is still firmly against it, if they dont get infections well i reckon they are just darn lucky, i left my daughters until she decided and i still had some problems and we were very fussy, i followed instructions to the t. well enough said. cheers:)

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-25-2003, 03:39 PM
I was born in Beirut, Lebanon to a Lebanese father and American mother. Mom's idea on the subject, was wait till Souraya is old enough to decide if she wants to have her ears pierced. Dad's idea on the subject is it won't hurt her now and if in the future she doesn't want to wear earings, then she doesn't have too, plus the culture encouraged it. The very next day at the age of 2 days, my ears wear pierced! Never had a problem with them. I don't wear earings very often unless I am getting dressed up for something.

iceyshiver21
04-25-2003, 11:15 PM
I still dont have them pierced...I dont think its that big of deal to get ears pierced....I think there a pain in the butt

kingrattus
04-26-2003, 09:11 AM
my god daughtor had her ears done 3 weeks ago & shes 2 months old... Her dr said its ok to get it done because at that age they don't know whats going on & it doesn't hurt them. Emma was just looking around & se had both ears done at once.. She never made a peep & shes been a fairly cranky baby, because she wants to be held by daddy only & well daddy can't always hold her, he has to work

AmylovesMisty
04-26-2003, 09:19 AM
NO WAY!!...i got MINE pierced when i was 5..

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Carole, I don't think that it will as far as getting belly buttons pierced at an early age. I have been wanting to get mine pierced for a long time and my dad said: Absolutely no way! He is a very traditional Lebanese man. I finally got my belly button pierced last week!! He still flipped!!

primabella
04-26-2003, 10:12 AM
Mine were pierced at a young age. I prefer it that way. You don't remember the pain :p

primabella
04-26-2003, 02:07 PM
Carole, I don't think that it will as far as getting belly buttons pierced at an early age. I have been wanting to get mine pierced for a long time and my dad said: Absolutely no way! He is a very traditional Lebanese man. I finally got my belly button pierced last week!! He still flipped!!

lol :p

I know I really want my ear pierced again but just as my mom was considering it, she went out and got some second opinions from her friends. They said no and so did my mom :(

Tweety_Pie
04-26-2003, 02:35 PM
I first got my my ears peirced at 4, the earing gun was broken and they didn't know, when they went to peirce my ear the gun jammed on my ear and the earing was in crooked(sp?) and it hurt so MUCH! My mom didn't end up paying for that because they really hurt my ear!:( It was bleeding alot to. So when I was 7 I went back to get my first hole done again. And that time it worked lol. and 4 weeks ago I got my second hole done.:D

Cookiebaker
04-26-2003, 02:41 PM
My parents never really believed in ear piercing, and I have never bothered to go get it done. :rolleyes: I dunno, maybe someday...

Andie
04-26-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by primabella
I know I really want my ear pierced again but just as my mom was considering it, she went out and got some second opinions from her friends. They said no and so did my mom :(

Apparently my mom is just cool cuz she was the one who suggested I get my second holes! She wanted a second set too but she chickened out.

carole
04-27-2003, 01:55 AM
Hey folks i was being flippant about the belly button piercing, but hey u say its the norm for girls to have them done, at any age it seems, well whos to say in twenty thirty yrs time it might be the norm for belly buttons at any age lol.
Actually i think belly button piercing is rather attractive, on the right belly, and i mean their are some bellies that just should be covered up.
Kingratuss (Hope i got your name correct) can you please tell me why you chose to get your babies ears done, and i have to say your reasoning, well they dont know whats going on , at that early age, so i guess you assume they dont feel the pain the same, well thats what they say about circumcision, of course it is little bit more of a major than ears being pierced i know, but they have used that reasoning for years.
Anyways it is a personal decision and each to their own, i just dont agree with it at such an early age thats all, i think they should beable to make their own decision.cheers

Soledad
04-27-2003, 02:28 AM
Babies don't make a lot of decisions. They don't get to decide what religion they'll be brought up in, what clothes they'll be wearing, what foods they'll be eating, and the list can go on.

Medically, there is nothing wrong with piercing a baby's ears. It is up to the PARENT to decide. Not a baby or child.

RubyMutt
04-27-2003, 12:26 PM
I kinda wish I had mine pierced as a baby. As soon as I went into middle school I LOVED tattoos and piercings, but didn't have ANY. Not even lobes. My mom is a little anti-body mods. When my dad took me and my sister to Las Vegas when I was 16 he let me get my ears pierced down there. My mom was okay with that. Now I'm 19 and can get tattoos and piercings on my own... heh heh... my mom wasn't too thrilled at first, but she's okay with them now.
So, obviously, I think it's okay to get a baby's ear pierced as a baby. If the kid doesn't like them when it gets older, he/he can always take them out.

carole
04-27-2003, 07:48 PM
soledad what is wrong with a 8-ten year old deciding if they want their ears pierced or not, they are old enough to know what they want then u know,
yes of course the PARENTS will always have to make the decisions regarding their children,thats the way it will always be and has to be.
I am a parent who prefers to guide my children not make all their decisions for them,i also have taken the approach with religion, my children are not raised in any faith, but have been exposed to many different faiths and cultures , as nz is a muliti=-cultural society, there are over 35 different races at my daughters school,, so she has lots of friends from all over the world, and has enjoyed going with them to their churches, but she will decide if she wants religion or not.
Now that does not mean i let a ten year old RULE, dont get what i am saying wrong and take it out of text please.
I guess i have raised a somewhat different issue here, but just trying to get my point across.
I think we shall have to agree to disagree, i dont look at young kids with ears pierced with disgust or anything, its just not what i would want for my child ok.:)
p.s. i had another thought, perhaps why babies dont get infections the same, is they are not going around touching everything and not washing their hands, which as we all know kids are famous for:)

2kitties
04-28-2003, 09:56 AM
I think it is cute. It doesn't bother me.

I got mine pierced for my birthday right before entering my first day of school. It made me feel so "grown up" for school.:)

I got a belly ring when I was 25. I thought it was really pretty. But, after one fall on the ski slope and a little blood, I took it out. Now, I'm strictly ear pierced!

CathyBogart
04-28-2003, 01:43 PM
I haven't got a problem with it. My little cousins had it done before they left the hospital and it was adorable.

I guess my mom is just really cool....because she wanted to go get our belly buttons pierced together when I was 16 and I chickened out!

Cincy'sMom
04-28-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Ps. I noticed several people here that got it done late had problems with infections? I know that most kids that get it done as babies don't have such problems.

I'm sure there are reasons, but I would guess one of them is that a baby isn't going toplay with it where as by the age of 4 or older, kids play inthe dirt and then play with their earrings. Also, while the parents properly care for a babie earrings, a teenager is more likely to do (or raher not do) it themselves.

I got my first holes done in about 3rd grade, the second ones a few years later, and did the third myself in 8th or 9th grade. Finally, I got my left ear pierced at the top (with my mom) when we were picking out the material for the bridesmaids dresses in my wedding. I wear earrings so seldom, I think I can only get earrings in the first holes and the single one.

RICHARD
04-28-2003, 06:25 PM
the latest twist on ear piercing is 'gauging'

what that is is the placement of a tube into the earhole
to enlarge the diameter of the 'pierce'........

pretty funny to think that these people are going to spend money
on getting the holes closed when they get older.....

Uabassoon
04-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Yup that would be me. But I've gotten my ears gauged very slowly as in I wait several months between each new gauge and after going up one more size I'm going to stop. If you do it over a long period of time and stop at a certain size they will close on their own. So while I hate waiting months in between I do realize then in a few years I'm going to say "why in the world did I do this!?"

Soledad
04-28-2003, 06:58 PM
pretty funny to think that these people are going to spend money

Don't they just close up on their own?

RICHARD
04-28-2003, 07:03 PM
depends...

once the 'gauge' comes out the bottom of the ear droops.
it hangs because of the hole...check out some pics in a Nat'l.
Geo book on the african tribes folks and look at some of
the gauging that's gone on there.

Cheshirekatt
04-28-2003, 07:06 PM
Heck even those big a$$, heavy earrings my mom wore in the 70's and 80's stretched her ear lobes out. :)

Uabassoon
04-28-2003, 07:13 PM
Don't they just close up on their own?

It actually depends on a number of things, such as the amount of time waited in between stretches. If you do it to quickly as in within a few weeks the scar tissue will cause the ear no not shrink back, which is why I waited several months in between for the ear to fully heal. The jewlry also makes a difference, large hoops weigh the ear down causing it to stretch more where as plugs don't weigh it down and work simply as a spacer. How large you stretch to also makes a difference.