PDA

View Full Version : helicopters

marysmerrycats
04-24-2003, 10:48 PM
here in Tucson it seems like there is ALOT of helicopters flying around lately. somedays it might be 3 or 4 times, I was just wondering if that happens anywhere else?

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-24-2003, 11:01 PM
hmmmmmmm...
NO not unless it is race weekend...
we live across from the Atlanta Motor Speedway..

Uabassoon
04-24-2003, 11:03 PM
I think a big part of that is because there is an air force base in Tucson.

marysmerrycats
04-24-2003, 11:25 PM
I see the milatary planes yes, but the helicopters, well I guess those could be milatary too...

emily_the_spoiled
04-25-2003, 09:36 AM
I see helicopters flying all the time (I work by a shock trauma center). At one point it got so bad that I could tell which agency was coming in by the sound of the helicopter.

But it could very well be that they are training more military helicopter pilots. A number of the men in Iraq are supposed to be rotated back to the States within the next few months, so these could be their replacements...

ramanth
04-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Just the occasional news helicopter giving traffic updates or police helicopter (rarely).

I see more planes than helicopters because of Capitol City Airport. :)

Dakota's Mommy
04-25-2003, 02:39 PM
I see them alot but I live on Fort Hood right now so there's always somebody training!

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-25-2003, 02:52 PM
Ft. Huachuka in Sierra Vista is only an hour from Tuscon. (We will be going there for 10 weeks in August) It is the basis for the Army's Military Intelligence. Andrew is going for advanced survaillance training there. I know that there are lots of planes, but haven't heard of helicopters. I will ask Andrew today when he gets home.

Miss Meow
04-25-2003, 05:09 PM
A few as I work on a navy base! On Thursday we had a Seahawk buzzing around as it had ANZAC day commitments on Friday, and a few weeks ago a Seaking nearly took the roof off our building! Part of me wanted to ask for a ride as my partner is a helicopter mechanic and I should at least show interest, but my scaredy-cat side said nooooooo way, too scary! :eek:

iceyshiver21
04-25-2003, 11:36 PM
Shwans the ice cream place just gave our airport a HUGE money amount and there are at least two planes in the sky everytime I look.

smokey the elder
04-27-2003, 08:19 AM
I live near West Point and also an Army base, so I hear a lot of helicopters. Especially after 9/11 and when the second Iraq War started in March.

RubyMutt
04-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Yeah, we have a lot of helicopters and airplanes flying around. Although, I live really close to the largest Boeing plant in the world, a large Navy station (the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier is finally on it's way back home here from fighting in Iraq!! :D), and several hospitals... so we always have a lot of things flying up in the sky :)

RICHARD
04-28-2003, 06:50 PM
i live within 7 miles of three airports...
and under the flight path of the Los Angeles County Fire
Department...

around sunset we get at least one huey and one blackhawk
helicopter from the LACFD flying home to roost. The older hueys
make a few laps before they settle down, the Blackhawk just powers down to the landing pad. On the overhead pass you hear the chopper and then the house vibrates, the windows follow and you go deaf for a few minutes...it's worth it knowing they are out there taking care of the county..

Van Nuys airport is where most of the network the television helicopters roost-when there is a car chase on TV you see up to 10 choppers flying above the freeway!!

there may be two from the hiway patrol and/or police dept...
the rest are from T.V. stations..

we used to have a 'Heroes in the Air' airshow at a dam/rec center
up the street, and an airshow at VN but that A-hole, OBL took care of that. they cancelled due to security concerns.

They most awesome aircraft/heli is the OSPREY tilt rotor
plane, I saw one, close up at the yearly airshow at Edwards
AFB. It did not fly, they had it in a hanger, but it's a wonderful piece of machinery!!!!