PDA

View Full Version : do you forget?

marysmerrycats
04-24-2003, 10:45 PM
it seems like I am always forgetting something, what I wanted to say, even just 10 seconds before, while waiting for the other person to finish talking..:mad: or part of a memory of something that has happend recently,(I will remember just part of something that happend but not the rest of it)
just forgetting alot of things. it seems to be more than the average forgetting, and my mother says the same, it happens to her.. so maybe we are both getting alzheimers?:eek: sorry, I don't mean to joke about something so serious, but sometimes I do wonder if I have the start of it...:eek:

does any of this happen to anyone else?

Cincy'sMom
04-24-2003, 11:04 PM
ALL the time!!! I start to say something and can't remember whatis was...I like to blame it on the chemicals I work with :D

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-24-2003, 11:15 PM
ALL THE TIME.!!!:mad:
I'll forget one stupid EVERYDAY word... that is so simple...

But most of the time I am just saying something plain STUPID... like at work.. when I hand the drivers their bills they will say "thanks" and I'll say "you too"

:eek: :confused:

jenluckenbach
04-25-2003, 05:58 AM
CONSTANTLY

I'd tell you exactly how often I forget thing, but I can't even remember THAT!

Barbara
04-25-2003, 06:20 AM
I can now look in the face of my colleague and not knowing the name:eek: :eek:

I met a guy last year in Frankfurt bookfair and for a ten minutes talk (rather general from my side) only knew I know him until I noticed that he is a friend and we have been to his parties quite often:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sometimes I have to replace all substantives in a phrase by "thing" (Like "Could you please put the thingie on the thing")
because I have no access to the real words.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do you think they will have to put me to sleep soon:confused:

Soledad
04-25-2003, 06:32 AM
Could you please put the thingie on the thing

Barbara! This is a family site!!! ;) :D

04-25-2003, 06:49 AM
It happens far to much to me too! My hubby says it is really getting abnormal. Sometimes he tells me something; the next day, I even do not remember that he did so, and as he pesrists, the memory still doesn't come back. I often forget appointments if I take the risk not to note it down in my agenda!

My mom and grandma, are dementing; so I am really scared to get the same thing...:eek: It is so scary...:(

anna_66
04-25-2003, 07:02 AM
I think sometimes I would forget my head if it weren't attached:rolleyes:

Randi
04-25-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
CONSTANTLY I'd tell you exactly how often I forget thing, but I can't even remember THAT!
I can relate! :rolleyes:

.... and Barbara, I can relate to the name situation. Can be pretty embarressing! :o

Not remembering the word you want to say, is really frustrating too! Glad to hear, it's not only me. :D

Do you sometimes walk all the way to the kitchen and when you get there, you've forgot what you were going to get? :rolleyes:

marysmerrycats
04-25-2003, 10:25 AM
Sometimes I have to replace all substantives in a phrase by "thing" (Like "Could you please put the thingie on the thing")

OH I know that feeling!:mad:

(LOL Soledad)

Sometimes he tells me something; the next day, I even do not remember that he did so, and as he pesrists, the memory still doesn't come back.

AND that too!

Barbara
04-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Soledad
Barbara! This is a family site!!! ;) :D
:D :D :D

Cataholic
04-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
Do you think they will have to put me to sleep soon:confused:

Maybe, just maybe...:D :p

slleipnir
04-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Forget what now? lol jk..I do that all the time too :o Often if I'm going to go do something and I decide to do something else 1st I'll forget the other thing I ment to do lol

slleipnir
04-25-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Barbara

lol, me and some friends were just discussing that earlier today, I say that a lot too :x

slick
04-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Wait until you hit Menopause..........now that's another story...

Dakota's Mommy
04-25-2003, 02:50 PM
Definately! I feel like my brain is being fried more and more lately! I don't know what's wrong with me!

carole
04-25-2003, 03:45 PM
oh yeah can i ever relate to this one, it seems middle age, its quite normal, i always go into a room to do something and then forget what i was going to do, luckily sometimes it comes back to me, and then theres the one where i put things away in a safe place so they wont get lost, yes u guessed it , i forget where the safe place is, and 'thingy' is always in my vocab.
To top it off i have fibromyalgia, and get fibro-fog, thats what its called, so i get more forgetful than most people, HELP lol

ChrisH
04-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Yes...umm what was the question?..hang on while I go look....

Yes! Everything! All the time!......except, funnily enough, for song lyrics, OLD song lyrics!!:D :D :D

Pam
04-25-2003, 04:05 PM
What I really hate is when I go upstairs to get something. I see something that I need to do or take care of while I'm up there, and then I do whatever and come back down. When I'm ALL THE WAY at the bottom of the steps I remember why I went up in the first place. :mad: (This is a great thread - I feel so much better now!) :o

ChrisH
04-25-2003, 05:11 PM
LOL, Pam. That sounds very familiar!:D :D

moosmom
04-25-2003, 07:04 PM
Boy does THAT hit close to home!! I would be in the middle of a sentence and BAM...my mind goes blank.

I can attribute it to many things...hormonal imbalance, chemical imbalance of my brain, fried brain cells from smoking whacky weed when I was younger, you name it!

And I thought I was the only one. :D

gini
04-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Well, this is a family site, so I will be careful.

What we all have is CRS DISEASE. ("can't remember s___")

One of my favorite things that I say to myself is:

WHAT WAS I DOING
BEFORE I WAS DOING
WHAT I WAS DOING????

I just love getting older................:D :D :D ;)

marysmerrycats
04-25-2003, 09:08 PM
LOL Donna, I never would have guessed that of you! of course, I have NEVER smoked anything when I was younger, not me!:eek: :cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

iceyshiver21
04-25-2003, 11:23 PM
I forget midway into a sentace..:D Im proud of it, thats pretty good considering my brain moved out when I couldnt find no more homes for the dust bunnies

moosmom
04-26-2003, 07:11 AM
Mary,

I tried it when I was out of high school. Didn't like it very much as I wasn't in control. Besides, it made me eat the furniture and paranoid. I sure don't miss those days.

Barbara
04-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by ChrisH
LOL, Pam. That sounds very familiar!:D :D

To me too.

The best thing in this thread is that it does not seem to be confined to people our age:D

Barbara
04-26-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by marysmerrycats
LOL Donna, I never would have guessed that of you! of course, I have NEVER smoked anything when I was younger, not me!:eek: :cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And for sure I never inhaled:p

smokey the elder
04-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Sometimes I think we're thinking of so much at once that our mental RAM gets cluttered. We need ctrl+alt+del to reboot our brains!:p

...and I can always blame the solvents...:p ;)

Rachel
04-27-2003, 09:24 AM
Oh you guys....I guess it is a bit comforting to know I am not the only one with this struggle. I first noticed it with things that I do routinely without thinking, like brushing my teeth. Did I brush my teeth or not? I would have to check to see if the toothbrush was wet. Then I couldn't remember the names of some movie stars or television personalities. Not much of a loss on that one but still bothersome. When it really scares me is when I can't remember the name of a familiar object. Now this has only happened several times but when it does, I absolutely panic. Hannah has a frisbee which I keep in the closet so she doesn't chew it up. We hadn't played with it for months and months and I was going to ask her if she wanted to play frisbee and I couldn't think of the word *frisbee*. All I could think of was *flying disk*, and I knew that wasn't it. One other time it was the flower hybiscus. I could picture it in my mind's eye, but couldn't think of the name. Eventurally the name comes to me but it takes far too long.

One strange way I use to retrieve a name of someone whom I know I know is to mentally go through the alphabet. When I get to the letter of the first or last name, I will have a sense that the person's name starts with that letter and then soon it will come to me. Not something that one can use when running into someone at the grocery store, but I always will try to think of the name when I have a chance, so hopefully I can rebuild some of those lost pathways in my brain.

I never smoked the weed, but probably had a bit more of the alcoholic beverage than I should have in my 20's. You know the song they sing on that one car commercial
*I wish that I knew what I know now,
when I was younger.
I wish that I knew what I know now,
when I was stronger.*

So true, so true.

marysmerrycats
04-27-2003, 02:32 PM
Sometimes I think we're thinking of so much at once that our mental RAM gets cluttered. We need ctrl+alt+del to reboot our brains
I agree!!:eek:

One strange way I use to retrieve a name of someone whom I know I know is to mentally go through the alphabet.

LOL I do that too, in fact, just had to do that the other day!!

marysmerrycats
04-27-2003, 02:36 PM
when I forget the alphabet, I'm just going to hang it up!!

joycenalex
04-27-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by lut
It happens far to much to me too! My hubby says it is really getting abnormal. .....my mom and grandma, are dementing; so I am really scared to get the same thing...:eek: It is so scary...:(
dear lut, as i recall(and i had to look it up;) ), you're on medicines for your back pain. meds can make your thought processes slower. you also might want to share this information with your doctor, so she knows. regards, joyce in columbus

Rachel
04-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Dakota's Mommy
Definately! I feel like my brain is being fried more and more lately! I don't know what's wrong with me!

You are under a lot of stress right now with Brian being deployed. That will do it every time.

Barbara
04-28-2003, 02:57 AM
If I take it serious I think for most of us it is true what Smokey the Elder said. We don't do most things with the concentration they deserve. We have x things in our mind and try to keep up with all of them. This was different when we were younger.

However I am also afraid what could happen if we belonged to some of the people who will be dement in their age -there are many of them. My mom (82 years) isn't -she is still very clever and does not forget more things than me- but my mother-in-law who died at 92 years had no idea who anybody was in the last years.

moosmom
04-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Mary,

I always recite the alphabet whenever I forget someone's name. It works like a charm. :D

carole
04-29-2003, 07:12 PM
I am just curious, does anyone know what they want to say but cant get the words out of your mouth, this happens to me a lot, i always was told it was part of my fibro condition Fibro Fog they call it, but i am having doubts, is it just reaching those lovely middle years or what lol:)