PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Stones

renmig
04-24-2003, 08:23 AM
My dog, Bella, and I play a game we came across by accident. We live off of a dirt driveway. I kick a driveway stone and Bella chases after it. She barks at it until I kick it again. When I kick the stone off the path of the driveway she would pick it up in her mouth and put it back on the driveway. I’ve never seen or heard of a dog doing this before. She was a shelter dog and we are not sure what breeds she has in her, we do know that her mother was a pointer. I thought it might have something to do with retriever or herding. Any thoughts of why she does this? Do any of your dogs do similar things?

wolf_Q
04-24-2003, 09:00 AM
My parents had a brittany and she LOVED to chase rocks. I've heard of other hunting breeds that do that also. I have a siberian husky who loves to play fetch, though I've never tried with rocks! ;)

Just be careful though...especially if she's picking up big rocks. They wear down dogs teeth pretty bad.

clara4457
04-24-2003, 11:03 AM
It's not rocks but Leo absolutely loves when I kick snow or throw a snowball. He doesn''t really play fetch (likes when I throw but never brings it back :D :D ) but I think he likes to catch them and then eat them. LOL:D :D

renmig
05-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Bells does the same thing with snow balls. When I throw them to her she eats it. She loves chewing on sticks and chasing balls, but she won't bring them back either. We tried Fly Ball with her but she wouldn't play with the ball, the trainer suggested trying other things with her besides Fly Ball. We did agility, and she loved it, but they only offered a begining class.

Renee