PDA

View Full Version : Finally !!!!!!!

jenluckenbach
04-23-2003, 07:56 PM
I just got my very first foster cat. Please welcome Bonnie. No pictures yet, as she is very scared.

She is not even a year old and pregnant with her first babies. She is a small tabby girl.

The very first thing she did was bust out of her carrier and start to climb the walls of her new room (literally). Poor thing, she is so scared and confused. So the first thing that I did was to empty the room of all breakables and things she could knock over. It only took her about 60 seconds to dart back into the carrier. (the only place she recognized as safe)

So her room has 2 carriers (with their doors tied open so she can't accidentally lock herself in), a large box made up with a nice bed in it, 2 litter boxes, food, water and a night light. I think I will allow her this evening to be by herself and let her come out to explore her room.

Wish me luck.

Prairie Purrs
04-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Sounds like little Bonnie has quite luxurious quarters--I'm sure she'll settle in and be a happy momma-to-be. Good luck! :)

PayItForward
04-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Good Luck. But I'm sure you won't need it.

Looking forward to the pictures (when she ventures out)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 09:09 PM
poor little Bonnie..
I am sure it won't be long before she realizes that she is in good hands...
I can't wait to see the pictures!!
How long before she is due to have the babies?

carole
04-23-2003, 09:11 PM
jen bonnie is in the best of hands, you are an expert when it comes to taking wonderful care of pussycats, i can tell by all your threads, she is young, like my lexie, to think lexie is only 9mths and had her kittens at least 2mths ago, its sad. good luck i am sure she will soon be less frightened and be purring loudly

kimlovescats
04-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Oh how exciting, Jen! I have a young girl named Bonnie too! Do you know how close she is to delivering? Poor baby that she is so terrified...was she a feral kitty? Well so many questions, I'm sorry! Please keep us posted and GOOD LUCK.... I know you'll do great!:D

rosethecopycat
04-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Thanks for helping Bonnie, especially with your hands so full, mama.
:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-24-2003, 05:04 AM
Bonnie is really blessed to have you as a foster meowmie.

Looking forward to getting to know her better.

jenluckenbach
04-24-2003, 05:50 AM
Poor Bonnie is very scared. This morning she was out of the carrier and on the window behind the curtain. But she would have no part of me touching her (yet). So she will have all day to explore without interferrence and this evening I will go in and sit qith her so she can get used to me. I do not think she ate, but she did pee in the litter box.

I found out that she was not a pet, but a farm cat who lived outside but was freindly enough to venture into the farmer's home. So she is probably not used to being inside exclusively (and this is a strange place for her). I hope to gain her trust before she is due. She was not to the vet, so I do not have a due date, but she is kinda big.

PayItForward
04-24-2003, 06:00 AM
So what happens to the mommy cat, will she be rehoused after she's had her kittens or altered and released back to the farm ?

This question is assumming you don't end adopting all of them :D

slick
04-24-2003, 11:18 AM
I know you are scared Bonnie, but you are in good hands. Soon you will realize that your foster Mommy will take good care of you and your soon to be born babies.

Congrats Jen. Can't wait to see pictures.

K & L
04-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Great job! It all just takes patience and time. We found the best way to gain trust is through food. When we feed we would sit in there (for a bit) so they knew we were the ones suppling this. Then we would go slowly and try and touch them while eating. This has worked almost every time for us.

Good luck!!!

ramanth
04-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Here's hoping that Bonnie calms down soon and learns to trust you. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Congratulationsl, Jen! I know you've been waiting for this, and the time has come! :D :D

Another thing "they" say helps to calm them down is to have a radio playing softly in the room, and "gentle" music, not some acid rock or something. ;) (do they still have acid rock these days?) ;) :)

I'm so happy you're helping this little girl. I'm sure she will calm down and learn to trust you real soon - since she will have to.

Can't wait for pics of the babies too when the time comes! I love itty bitty kitties. :D

Vermontcat
04-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Congrats Jen! So this makes 14 cats under your roof now!;)
I can't wait to hear how many kittens she has and I hope you post photos of them when the arrive!:)

rg_girlca
04-24-2003, 04:21 PM
Congratulations Jen on your first foster. Just be patient and take one day at a time. I think it's a good idea that you go into the room and just sit there reading a book or listen to music. Do this a little bit each day and before you know it, Bonnie will be coming out to you.
Good luck.:)

jenluckenbach
05-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Bonnie had her babies! She had 5 but 2 were dead. They appear to be 2 tabby's like herself and one blue with possible tabby markings.

I'll be starting a new thread in cat general

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Yipee!!! On my way to General! :D