PDA

View Full Version : People feeding Foxy

gkristian
04-23-2003, 06:49 PM
Every morning a man from up the road comes and gives Foxy some king of wird dog food. I thought i should tell him not to feed Foxy but i felt sorry for him because hi dog died a few months ago and he lives Foxy so much. Then i thought i should put a sign on the front gate PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE DOG. I don't know what to do.

CamCamPup33
04-23-2003, 07:35 PM
tough question im sure that hes doing it because he loves dogs.. but u never know.. just go out while hes feeding foxy and say hey whatcha got there.. or say Foxy do you like that and maybe he will tell u what it is...??

Cincy'sMom
04-23-2003, 08:46 PM
Two suggestions I have heard at Therapy Dog meetings...

If you see him feeding the dog, tell him your dog has food allergies and is on a specific diet. That while you know he means well, his good intentions may make your dog sick.

Offer him treats or food that you provide to give to your dog. he gets the pleasure of feeding the dog, you get the relief of knowing what and how much your dog is eating.

kingrattus
04-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Cincy'sMom
I think those ideas r geat ones. I totally agree with them... but I like the second one best... I think if the man is despret to make a dog happy, then why stop him? His dog was more then likely the only good friend he had & hes more then likely misses him/her.... So I think taking Cincy'sMom's advice would be a wise one... maybe u can become friends with the old man? I'm sure he'll like that

chloe's mom
04-24-2003, 03:29 PM
I have a similar problem. One of my neighbors feeds my dogs leftovers and scraps. She will toss plastic containers of leftovers over the fence into our yard. She used to have a rather complicated system involving a pie plate, string and a stick to shove food under the fence. We finally managed to permanently close that hole. But recently she has been tossing raw meat (chicken??) over the fence. We have talked to the neighbor and left a note asking her not to feed the dogs, or if she absolutely has to, to feed them dog buscuits. I'm afraid that the dogs are going to get sick, but nothing seems to get through to the lady. I just don't understand why someone would throw raw meat and plastic containers of leftovers into a neighbor's yard.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get through to this woman? I am tired of the dogs' gas and the worry that I go through every time I catch them feasting on the neighbor's trash.

Cataholic
04-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by chloe's mom
I have a similar problem. One of my neighbors feeds my dogs leftovers and scraps. She will toss plastic containers of leftovers over the fence into our yard. She used to have a rather complicated system involving a pie plate, string and a stick to shove food under the fence. We finally managed to permanently close that hole. But recently she has been tossing raw meat (chicken??) over the fence. We have talked to the neighbor and left a note asking her not to feed the dogs, or if she absolutely has to, to feed them dog buscuits. I'm afraid that the dogs are going to get sick, but nothing seems to get through to the lady. I just don't understand why someone would throw raw meat and plastic containers of leftovers into a neighbor's yard.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get through to this woman? I am tired of the dogs' gas and the worry that I go through every time I catch them feasting on the neighbor's trash.

Hi Welcome to PT, and are you kidding? What a weirdo!! I could just imagine the look on my neighbor's face if I just started tossing trash into their yard to feed their golden. It makes me laugh, but, I know it is serious, too. Maybe a note, with your return address, and 'signed' by your pup? "Hi, my name is xyz. I love, love, love the food you give me, but, momma thinks I am getting too fat/I have food allergies/some foods are bad for puppys/whatever. Though I hate to ask you, would you mind not feeding me anymore? Even if I beg? Thanks, mom and I both appreciate it." Frankly, if that doesn't work, call someone..police, county, etc.

kingrattus
04-24-2003, 10:12 PM
forget writing another note.. one was good enought.. Call the police & thell them ur neighbour is tossing trass in ur yard & ur dopg is getting ill off it.. make sure u tell them that u have asked them to stop tossing trash in ur yard & they wont stop.. also say ur scaired they might poison ur dog...

this is 100 times worse then feeding ur dog different dog food, like that old man is.

I'm sorry but raw meat might turn ur dogs very mean... it happened to this guys rotti.. he had to lock the rotti upo for a month until it calmed down.. the poor dog went psycho & tried to attack everyone it saw.. How it got the meat was by mistake.. the owners friend was cooking & droped a deer steak on the floor & then desided it was best not to fight the 250 pound dog for it.. Big mistake...

& chicken bones can really harm a dog too

Smilla
04-25-2003, 11:55 AM
I know this shouldn't make me laugh, but when I read about the pie plate, string and stick I couldn't help myself! That's so bizarre--I really wonder about this woman's mental state. What did she say when you talked directly to her?

Seriously, though, you should consider the suggestions made by others. She needs to be kept from feeding your dogs and throwing trash and food into your yard.

Originally posted by chloe's mom

Logan
04-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Hey Smilla!!! It is good to see you back!!

I don't know what to say about the Foxy problem. Sorry!!! :( That is quite a dilemma!!!!

Smilla
04-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Hey Logan! Nice to see you too! I pop in when I can, but always at least look at the DOTD! ;)

Hope you're doing well.

Kfamr
04-25-2003, 01:57 PM
If all fails, call the cops?

chloe's mom
04-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I was trying to avoid calling the police, but it looks like that really is my only option. If you don't consider the possible harm to the dogs, it really is kind of funny. The neighbor, who doesn't speak very much English, enjoys talking to the dogs through the fence. (before we closed all of the gaps under the fence, she used to pet their heads when they poked them underneath) I think she is trying to be nice, though I don't much enjoy picking up all of her trash. She really has gone to pretty extreme lengths to keep feeding them, as we have gone to equally extreme lengths to prevent that.

Cataholic
04-25-2003, 05:00 PM
You could just start throwing your trash into her yard!!! (I don't really mean that).:D

gkristian
04-25-2003, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the help guys