PDA

View Full Version : medical system annoys me here....

carole
04-23-2003, 04:29 PM
as some of you know my mother had cancer a few weeks ago, she had surgery , all done under her private medical insurance,(note a lot of nz people donot have insurance) and now i am so hacked off she has to wait at least 6 to 8 wks just to get an appointment at the hospital for a consoltation just to c if she needs radiotherapy or not, this cannot be done privately, people in nz with are being sent to aussie for chemo, because we have a shortage of radiologists here, they go overseas to get better pay,because mums was caught so early she may not need treatment, but its pain not knowing, thank god its not further on, i would be really worried then. do you have the same problems in the us i wonder , probably not

Russian Blue
04-23-2003, 04:58 PM
In Ontario, Canada many people are waiting too long for cancer treatment and end up going to the US. Our medical system can't keep up with all the cancer cases and the government hasn't invested proper resources to deal with it.

carole
04-23-2003, 05:08 PM
oh thats not good, happening everywhere it seems alas.:( :(

Cisco's Mom
04-23-2003, 08:07 PM
No, I have never encountered such a problem here in Florida. Best wishes for your mom.;)

carole
04-23-2003, 09:01 PM
thank you, your kind words are much appreciated

Albea
04-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Best wishes for you mom's quick recovery.

In the USA the problem is much worse for the millions of people who don't have any kind of insurance because there isn't a national health system and, unless you are covered by an employer's insurance or are over 65, when you get Medicare, the cost of buying a private policy is out of most folks reach.

carole
04-24-2003, 05:07 PM
oh gosh that sounds real bad, at least we do have a public health system, its kinda failing at the moment though, but it does exist, how do poor people get treatment, or do they just die, i shudder at the thought:(

Cataholic
04-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Albea
In the USA the problem is much worse for the millions of people who don't have any kind of insurance because there isn't a national health system and, unless you are covered by an employer's insurance or are over 65, when you get Medicare, the cost of buying a private policy is out of most folks reach.

Well, we do have medicaid...which is based on your economic situation, which would cover the poor and uninsured. Additionally, we also have clinics, county health systems, insurance for minor children. While it may not, and, probably isn't, as good as private pay insurance...which I know I am fortunate to have, there are some other resources available for medical care. Additionally, our public hospitals (non-private) are 'required' to render ER care, regardless of ability to pay. Yes, I know that still isn't fail proof, but, I think our country has it alot better than mosts second tier (or whatever the PC term is today) countries...