PDA

View Full Version : Tinky IS SO MAD!!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Tinky is acting so crazy!! I am getting so stressed out over this WHOLE SITUATION...

I had Tinky in the spare bedroom overnight and today I got up and cracked the door and she is still hissing and growling at Jupiter.,....
(my little girl is VERY HEADSTRONG)

WELL..... i picked her up and she saw Jupiter and started screaming... and flying around... so I held onto her so I wouldn't end up just throwing her and I put her down and kind of held her.... WELL NOW SHE IS GROWLING AND HISSING AT ME..... :(

I can not get her out from under the bed and every time I lift the bedskirt she growls and hisses at me.....

what should I do..... she is acting like she has never seen another cat before in her life.... I mean he was only gone for four hours yesterday...

i need help...:( :( :(

Barbara
04-23-2003, 10:29 AM
It sounds to me as if she is feeling the stress everyone is in. Poor girl. You should leave her the opportunity to retire. I cannot believe it will take her long before she comes out:)

04-23-2003, 10:31 AM
That is really weird:confused: :eek: ! If Jupiter would have been away for a day or two, it would be understandable... but now!?
My cats were seperated for a whole day, during Inka's operation (zipper); when she came home, it was as if she never had been away, for Maya...!
I think you will need to spend lots of time playing with together; if this doesn't help, you might need consulting a "cat-behaviourist" !

Good luck!!:)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 10:32 AM
:eek: Candace... called and she almost has Brian talked into giving away the kitten...

NOw I don't know who can take it... Eric wont let me have it and my sister isn't sure if her house is right for a baby kitten...

ramanth
04-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Very strange indeed. :( :confused:

Perhaps she's sensing you being stressed?

Do you think some Feliway might help calm them down? Then you take a nice hot bubble bath and don't worry. :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Can I get feliway at Petsmart?
what does it do?

I opened the window and she is letting me brush her and she is purring... *sigh*

I feel like a basket case.....

I have got to go run some errands...... but one more question...
If I bring the baby kitten over here do yall think Tinky will act the same towards a baby kitten? I is only like 6 weeks old?

thanks again for all yall's help!

ramanth
04-23-2003, 10:38 AM
I think you can get it at PetSmart. Not 100% sure. I picked mine up at Pet Supplies Plus.

It comes in a spray and as a plug in. It's a hormone that helps calm cats in stressfull situations.

Barbara
04-23-2003, 10:43 AM
You cannot be sure how Tinky or even Jupiter acts if a baby kitten comes in. They both are stressed at the moment because they felt what was going on. If you look at PayitForward or Sasvermont, it is not always sure that cats easily accept a newcomer.
At the moment I would at least wait until Tinky and Jupiter feel both well in their situation. Anyway 6 weeks is very early for a baby to leave his mother. 8-10 weeks would be better.:)

PayItForward
04-23-2003, 11:04 AM
Why don't you wipe both cats with those cat cloths (to be used instead of bathing), to make sure they both smell the same.

Maybe Jupiter has picked up various cat smells at your sisters apartment, which Tinky is picking up on.

Re The Kitten. I agree with Barbara that sorting out your current situation first before bringing a new pet in. As your cats did get on orginally, they should calm down and become friends in the near future.

I would consider taking that kitten to a no-kill shelter, as the current owners don't have the time to look after he/she. A young kitten will be adopted very quickly.

Unless your cats are allowed to calm down, before introducing a new cat, you could end up with a full scale war on your hands. Both me and SASVermount wouldn't wish this type of problem on anyone else.

Of course after your cats make friends, you can always decide to introduce another pet at some later point.

Logan
04-23-2003, 11:06 AM
I think she's terribly confused, Sara, and she is feeling your stress. Jupiter wasn't gone long enough for her to be acting out about him! He could have been at the vet's office for that long.

I think I would just try to relax and let them work it out. I think that they will be just fine. Can't address the kitten issue, though........I didn't read enough to know about another kitten! LOL!!! Maybe I'll have some thoughts on that later.

Hug Jupiter and Tinky for me, please. I have a real soft place in my heart for both of them!!

Logan :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 11:36 AM
WELL...
I am back.. I let Jupiter out... I am going to let them wing it...

Tinky is under the bed growling and if Jupiter peeks under she starts screaming...

:( ...............:confused: ............................:(

I HATE THIS...

Should I do it this way? I am trying to act as normal as possible but I am starting to get depressed.

PayItForward
04-23-2003, 11:40 AM
Try a glass of wine (for you not the cats ..LOL)

Thinking of you and your furkids

Barbara
04-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Just relax. They will come back to their normal understanding.

Cats want a life in which there are no changes. Filou was sulking last week because we painted the staircase. He retired to the guest bedroom (which is the most quiet room around) and didn't come out)
:rolleyes:

rosethecopycat
04-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Jupiter smells funny to her.

Can you give him a bath?

Wouldn't hurt, may help.

Very strange, for such a short period of time.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 12:23 PM
o.k.... i think the bath might be a good idea..

If I give Tinky a bath first then Jupiter a bath... Tinky will be too busy licking dry to care about him being in the bathroom...

O.k..... let me go run some water...
:confused:

momoffuzzyfaces
04-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
Why don't you wipe both cats with those cat cloths (to be used instead of bathing), to make sure they both smell the same.

Maybe Jupiter has picked up various cat smells at your sisters apartment, which Tinky is picking up on.

This happens to me every time I take one of the boys to the vet. When we get home the other two hiss and act like they've never seed them before. I just leave them alone and the sort it out usually by the end of the day. Good luck!

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Well the kids have been bathed...

I have shut all the doors so Tinky can't go hide... Jupiter is licking dry and Tinky is licking.. hissing.. licking... hissing... licking...

:eek: Man.. I can't wait till this is over....
I am dreading taking them to the vet..
I wonder why Tinky is SO CRAZY.?!!?

jenluckenbach
04-23-2003, 03:08 PM
this is probably the strangest thing I've ever heard of. FOUR HOURS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why don't you try plain old catnip. once they are playing with it maybe they'll play with each other.

PayItForward
04-23-2003, 03:33 PM
How are things with your furkids, have they made friends again ?

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 05:13 PM
I am making no progress....

originally posted by Jenluckenbach
Why don't you try plain old catnip. once they are playing with it maybe they'll play with each other.

I put some out for Jupiter and he rolled in it but Tinky doesn't give a flip about catnip..

I am at work now but before I left she was hiding under the loveseat and came out to help me fold clothes (what she usually does) then when Jupiter walked in she got on the chair balled up and screamed then ran back under the loveseat... which is where she was when I left...

:( .,..............:( ......................:(

I am wondering if I should give Jupiter another chance at my sisters?!?!?! :confused:
I really don't know what to do?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

Kirsten
04-23-2003, 05:25 PM
No, don't give him up!!! Give them time... but I can imagine how frustrating this must be! :(

Yes, like some have said before, Feliway Friends would be worth a try... Also, you could try to rub Jupiter with something that smells familiar to Tinky, maybe a blanket or a towel he has slept on before he has been taken away...?

I also think Tinky feels how stressed everybody is over this situation, poor girl. Pheromones (like in Feliway) might help to make it easier for her!

And too bad for the little kitten! Why does your sister think the house isn't a good place for a kitten?

Another question: When you got Jupiter last year, was Tinky also acting like that? And where they on good terms all the time or did they only tolerate each other?

But I'm sure it has something to do with an unfamiliar scent or stress hormones. I read that cats sometimes act like that when one is coming home from the vet.

Kirsten

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 05:41 PM
I called Petsmart about the filaway and she said to spray it where they are marking..... but they are both fixed and are not marking.... so I really wouldn't know what to do with it....

Please tell me how I can use it...

Another question: When you got Jupiter last year, was Tinky also acting like that? And where they on good terms all the time or did they only tolerate each other?

When we got Jupiter it took them about a week and a half before Tinky wouldn't growl at him... but she never hid from him and she didn't scream ..... she would only growl and hiss..

They have never really been the best of friends... they play and wash each other... but they never really cuddle and sleep together or anything...

And too bad for the little kitten! Why does your sister think the house isn't a good place for a kitten?

My sister has a 5 year old daughter and a 6 month old son and her husband has 3 daughters that come over every other weekend..... so I am guessing that she realizes that they may not be mature enough to handle a baby kitten.... I am not really sure though... My sister is pretty strict so.. if she taught them how to handle a kitten .. I KNOW.. they would be good with it.

Kirsten
04-23-2003, 05:54 PM
Well, my vet has mentioned a second Feliway product, Feliway Friend, which can be used when you get a new cat. Haven't found anything about that on the net, but here's the link to the Feliway-website, and they also recommend to use it when a new cat is introduced: http://www.feliway.com/html2/shop.php3/index.html

Well, I really think the situation will calm down after a while, obviously Tinky needs some time to get used to him again - even though it's strange that she's acting like that when he was only four hours away. I still think she feels the stress in everybody and that's scaring her.

About your sister: I can kind of understand her concerns, but generally it's easier for a kitten to adjust to children than for an adult cat that hasn't any experiences with children. Saw the same with friends of mine (they have children, 5 and 7 at that time). First they got an adult cat that really hated the kids so they had to give it back, then they got a kitten and things worked very well.

Kirsten

NoahsMommy
04-23-2003, 06:17 PM
{{{{{Sara}}}}}

I know we don't think they understand everything, but I know they understand some things. Maybe Tinky is just acting like a "girl" right now. I think that she'll stop soon...

What does she do if Jupiter is at the vet and she's a home? Does she act like this at all?

Her hissing at you shows she's distressed. What did she do during the four hours that Jupiter was gone...she may be telling him off for being gone. (Does she have any tortie in her?? ;) )

You can also try Rescue Remedy...it worked better than the Feliway for us with Oliver. You can get it at GNC for about $12.00. You just put it in thier water and can even put two drops in Tinky's mouth. Its a natural way to calm them.

Take care,
Kelly :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 06:33 PM
What did she do during the four hours that Jupiter was gone...

nothing at all... I don't even know if she knew he was gone.
That is something I don't understand... she won't even get close enough to him to smell him... she just sees him and goes nuts...
she is acting like she has never seen another animal in here before.

You can also try Rescue Remedy...it worked better than the Feliway for us with Oliver. You can get it at GNC for about $12.00. You just put it in thier water and can even put two drops in Tinky's mouth. Its a natural way to calm them.

neither have eaten or drank that i've seen.... but I am sure I could drop a few drops in her mouth...

Miss Meow
04-23-2003, 07:19 PM
It might also help with you and Eric being out of the house so they can sort themselves out and go back to a level of understanding. Your stress might be impacting on the cats - they might be picking up on your stress and thinking that something else is about to happen to them. I know it's hard to see them fight, but please keep at it. It didn't work the first time Jupiter was taken away, it's not going to work a second time. Good luck.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-23-2003, 07:31 PM
originally posted by Miss Meow
It might also help with you and Eric being out of the house so they can sort themselves out and go back to a level of understanding.

Yeah.. I was sooo depressed about coming to work... but now that I am here I am felling a little relief.. I guess cause I don't have to see my little girl so upset..

She is the nicest sweetest cat I have ever known... and it kills me to see her so upset..:(

krazyaboutkatz
04-23-2003, 11:49 PM
Sara, I'm so sorry to hear that Tinky is still mad at Jupiter. :( I'm sure that things will improve in a few days. I know from my experience that animals do pick up on our stress. I was very stressed the past 2 weeks and now my life is fairly stress free. I've also noticed a big difference in my cats too. All 3 of them are much more relaxed and are getting along much better too. Good luck and please keep us updated. :)

Logan
04-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Can't let this one rest. Sorry! :o

Are things better today, Sara?? I was so shocked that just a short time apart could bring on such dramatic actions on Tinky's part! Sounds like Jupiter was glad to be home.

I just wanted you to know that I have been thinking of you, and hope that today is a better day.

Logan

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-24-2003, 12:50 PM
I am having improvement today.

Tinky is actually staying in the same room with him. If they are too close she will growl and hiss though... but it is not a big fluff up hiss ... just a tight ball hiss..

So far today they have been a whole foot and a half close without any noise from... Miss.. Attitude..

Jupiter is being so polite though... he will keep his space and just look at her so lovingly...

Earlier me and Juipiter were playing chase.. and I guess he thought Tinky was playing (like we used to) and he chased after her and she TOOK OFF hissing the whole way... I couldn't help but laugh...

I am sure that in another day or two things will be pretty much back to normal...

*sigh*

thanks again guys for lending me a shoulder...:)

Kirsten
04-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Ahhh, that's such a relief!!! :) Seems she only needs time and within a couple of days, things are back to normal! :)

Kirsten

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-24-2003, 02:22 PM
I'm so glad things seem to be getting a little better. I can't imagine that Tinky would get so upset after he's gone just 4 hours! I think she's just picking up on all the stress and also letting him know that he better not ever leave her alone again! ;) :)

Cincy'sMom
04-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Glad to hear things are getting better Sara. What an emotional roller coaster for all of you this week!!! Maybe by the weekend.... :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-24-2003, 08:30 PM
WELL....
I had a big breakthrough before I came to work...!!!:D

Poor Tinky bell was hiding under the bed..she looked so stressed out... and me and Jupiter were laying on the bed.

before that they were sitting real close to each other and I had a string and was playing.. and as soon as I would stop playing to clean.. she would look at him like "oh yeah i forgot" and growl and hiss and move away from him....
that happened a couple of times and she just got under the bed..

WELL......
Me and Jupiter were laying on the bed and he was lookin real funny so I knew she came out and I saw her sittin by the bed washing her face.... she saw me and I laid back down.. and she jumped on the bed and LICKED JUPITERS FOOT
he kept moving it away and so she growled at him... then she laid behind me for a minute and I pet her a little, then... she crawled over top of me and curled up RIGHT NEXT TO ME... i don't think she has ever cuddled so close to me before.. and she was right next to Jupiter too... then she went right to sleep...

POOR LITTLE GIRL... she has been so stressed.. she must have needed her mommy...

I hope their o.k... now Eric is at school so I can't call and ask.

PayItForward
04-24-2003, 08:34 PM
That's good news. I hope they love each other very soon.

krazyaboutkatz
04-25-2003, 12:41 AM
Sara, I'm so glad that Tinky is finally getting along with Jupiter again. :D I'm sure that by Monday, if not sooner, that everything will be back to normal again. :)

Cheshirekatt
04-25-2003, 01:50 AM
Cats are soooooo silly! My orange tabby Picasso does that everytime I take one of the other cats to the vet. They can be gone 2 hours or two days....it doesn't matter. To him, it's a brand new cat! :rolleyes: He a little weirdo, too. He insists on following them around and growling at them. If he's so freaked out, why can't he just stay away?!? LOL I'll never understand his little orange brain. :D