PDA

View Full Version : Tabby Cat?

primabella
04-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Hey, I don't know much about cat breeds and this has been bothering me for some time. I know its probably a simple question *everyone* knows but I don't, so please help me out here ;) Okay, what is a Tabby cat? is it an actual breed or like a mixture of breeds or what? I haven't seen it as an actual cat breed yet people seem to refer to it as one. Any help? Thanks :)

jenluckenbach
04-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Tabby is actually a pattern.....more than it is a color or breed.

Tabby means the cat is striped. And there are actually different tabby (striped) patterns ( mackeral, classic and marble)

So you can have an orange, classic tabby cat, or a silver, mackeral tabby cat....etc.

OK?

primabella
04-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Yep, thanks Jen! :) I guess that's also the same thing with Calico cats, right?

jenluckenbach
04-22-2003, 05:34 PM
YUP. Calico is a color, not a breed.

primabella
04-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Gotcha ;)

todd
04-22-2003, 08:19 PM
I have a orange tabby cat. her name is angel.

Barbara
04-23-2003, 11:52 AM
And it's the same with torties. It's a pattern not a breed:)
Or with tuxies:p

Todd, have you posted Angel in the Tabbies United thread??

jenluckenbach
04-23-2003, 02:28 PM
yes. Torties, which is actually short for tortoise shell, is a color and tuxedo is a pattern and can be any color. (although most people only refer to the black or solid blue as tuxies) My orange cat Lucas and my brown tabby cat Calvin both sport the traditional tuxedo pattern (white bib, white toes/feet, and white on belly with the option of white on the face).

primabella
04-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Aww Tuxes are so cute!! :D

todd
04-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
And it's the same with torties. It's a pattern not a breed:)
Or with tuxies:p

Todd, have you posted Angel in the Tabbies United thread??
no I don't have a photo of angel in the united thread as I have a learning Disability don,t now how to go about posting a photos to the site. but I like to post a photo of her some time.:D

slick
04-24-2003, 07:48 PM
Speckles is a Tabby but I read in a book somewhere that she is a "blotched" tabby. Meaning that she has some stripes, but the sides are more in circles instead of stripes.