PDA

View Full Version : kitty meets dog...

ellensy
04-22-2003, 12:51 PM
What is the proper way of introducing a kitty to a fully grown dog?

My new kitty, Precious, is 2 mos. old...

My dog, Beethoven, is 3 yrs. old...

When they first met each other, w/c was a week ago, there was hissing from Precious, and low growling from Beethoven... so i'm at a total loss here...

HELP!!!

:( :( :(

Cataholic
04-22-2003, 03:20 PM
I would suggest slowly. Phred had some good tips for me, when I was introducing Binx to the herd. Keep puppy on a leash, tight to you, and let kitty come up to puppy. Use rewards, treats, kind words when puppy is acting appropriately.

With Binx, I just say, "no cats" in my harshest voice possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes he looks at me, and says, "I can't hear you". I have mature cats, with a puppy, tho, so, maybe it is different the other way around?

I think with time, and making sure no one gets the short end of the stick, it will work out.

ramanth
04-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Lots of time and paitence.

Are you positive that Beethoven is cat friendly?

Kia has never growled at a cat and for the most part ignores them. I just happened to luck out that I took in a stray that doesn't mind dogs.

When I first took Kia to my parents house, all 5 cats flipped out. They did a lot of hiding. Now, it's not uncommon to find them all sleeping in the same room (as long as Kia doesn't get up abrubtly or bark) That only took about a year to accomplish. ;)

I took Kia with me this past weekend to stay at a friends house that had two cats. The elder cat ignored Kia while the baby freaked out. He hid the first day and by the 2nd day was still arching his back at Kia but wasn't running away. By the third day Kia had a "shadow". The look on the kitten's face was priceless. He couldn't figure out why this huge scary dog was ignoring him.

As long as you are positive your dog will never attack the cat, then it'll just take time for them to get adjusted.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I would suggest slowly. Phred had some good tips for me, when I was introducing Binx to the herd.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Binkx??!!!?! Gee, I'm not around for a day or two and you go and get a dog!!! ;) :D

Guess I'll have to head over to the dog side to hear/read all about that new Binx boy.

....but he's not black and white???......

Cinder & Smoke
04-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
:eek: Binkx??!!!?! :confused:

....but he's not black and white???......

*BROWN* an *white*...
He gotz da *white* part rite! :p

Barbara
04-24-2003, 02:58 PM
Johanna, is that true, did you get a dog? And why didn't you tell us? Were we expected to look under Dog General?

smokey the elder
04-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Very carefully. ;)