PDA

View Full Version : I have big news!

Efrat
04-22-2003, 01:26 AM
Hi Guys and Gals...

I know I'm not writting much here, but I do come and read as often as I can... I promise.
I have as I said, big news to tell you. We have decided to move to the USA in 2 months!
:)

Ilan has a US citizenship and we decided to try our luck there, there means the Chicago area... :D

Why am I telling you this? well... First I want to ask if any of you have ever moved cats to another country and if so, do you have any advice?
We'll be moving the end of June and will probably stay with Ilan's family to start with. we thought that we should keep the cats only in the two rooms that we will stay in (conectted by a bathroom) till we have our own place. Do you think it's wise? or should we let them go free around the house?

Also for all of you that live in the Chicago area, can you recommend a vet? We are not too sure about where we are going to live but it should be around Naperville.

I'd love to get to know people from the area as well, as I'm leaving all my friends behind and will need new ones :D

Soledad
04-22-2003, 02:08 AM
Hiya!

Sam and I are doing the same thing. We're moving from NZ to Minneapolis in May. We contacted the airline and asked them if they had any recommendations. They hooked us up with a veterinarian who runs a business pet moving. He's going to take Boo the night before we leave, run some tests and give him a medical certificate that will get him through customs in LA. Maybe there's something similar where you are, though custom rules differ from country to country.

Good luck!

Efrat
04-22-2003, 02:26 AM
I know which tests I have to do for the cats, I checked that already. I have to give them all rabies shots 30 days before we live and then get an official cetifacates for thier health from a goverment vet less then 10 days before we live...

I was just wondering about the actual journy in the plane... Hope they will be fine, it's a long trip and non direct flight...

Soledad
04-22-2003, 02:48 AM
Well, maybe you could call some vets and talk to them about what the journey will be like for the cats.

I brought this topic up before on here, and I got some great advice. I am still unsure if Boo will be sedated as many people said their pets adjusted better when they were not. All I know is that they will need plenty of water and instructions. It was also suggested to me to put the cat's name very prominently on the carrying case.

I think that keeping your pets in a small enclosed area afterwards might be best so they are not overly stimulated. I imagine they'll need lots of time to chill and take everything in.

jenluckenbach
04-22-2003, 05:46 AM
I wish you all the luck in the world with your move!!!

As for the cats, I would start them out in one or two rooms until they get used to the new house. Then, if it is possible to let them have more area, go right ahead and do it. If it is not possible, they will be fine, I am sure, in the smaller space for a while.

Vio&Juni
04-22-2003, 06:59 AM
Efrat, as I worked in the airlines business before, I have to give you one advice - check each air company pet rules before you decide which one to use. Book the little furry guys in advance, long in advance. Some companies do not agree with the cats in the cabin, some do if the pets are in special carriers.
Good luck! I hope my favorite gang of Brits and Gucci will like to live in US. Maybe they'll get to meet Peanut and Tubby, and Lady Edwina ;)

rosethecopycat
04-22-2003, 07:35 AM
Advanced Welcome to the U.S.A. Glad to have you here with your enterage.

Try to get them in the flight cabin with you. (with four cats I think you'd need four humans feet they can go under.) If that's not possible, screeen the airlines well for how they handle them if they fly underneath.

Let us know how it goes.

moosmom
04-22-2003, 07:45 AM
Efrat,

You've come to the right place!! And welcome to the USA!!

I moved from Connecticut to Michigan (663 miles) in September with my 6 cats. I was worried about how they'd take the ride. My fears were unwarranted. I put two girls in each carrier and the 2 boys separate. I didn't hear a peep out of any of them for the whole 12 hours.

If you're worried, you might want to talk to your vet. He may have some suggestions such as Feliway or Rescue Remedy (I bought some thinking I'd need it - NOT!)

Good luck with your move. Maybe we can set up a PT reunion!! Illinois isn't that far from Michigan (I don't think :confused: )

Since you have 4 cats, is there any way 2 can go in each carrier?? They'd keep each other company and would prevent you from having to put them in the cargo area (like putting your kids in there :( )

sasvermont
04-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Can't wait to hear the details.

You are such a sweet and special person and it will be our pleasure to have you grace our shores.

Sas

K & L
04-22-2003, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the USA! Here's a few informative sites that may answer some of your questions:

http://www1.faa.gov/avr/afs/cabinsafety/pets/pets.htm

http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/animatedjourneys/livingwithpets/airtravel.asp

http://www.tourisland.com/english/tips/tips/petswelcome.htm

http://www.britishairways.com/travelqa/fyi/baggage/docs/pet.shtml

Edwina's Secretary
04-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Efrat,

What fun! Another Chicagoland Pettalker.

I am a Northsider so I don't know vets in the Naperville area but Debbie (aka Tubby and Peanut's mom) lives down around there. We go to an all cat clinic -- of which there are several!

Here is the thread about international pet moves....

Moving with Pets (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19760)

krazyaboutkatz
04-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Wow! What wonderful and exciting news. :D Welcome to the U.S. Efrat!!! :D I'm sure your cats will be fine and everyone has already given you great advice. Good luck. :)

kimlovescats
04-22-2003, 12:25 PM
It sounds like you've gotten some good advice and links to check out here....just wanted to say WELCOME to the USA!!!

Kim;)

NoahsMommy
04-22-2003, 02:36 PM
How exciting!!! I don't have any advice, but wanted to say welcome. :)

Cataholic
04-22-2003, 03:01 PM
How totally cool! As soon as I saw your post I thought of Soledad. I see she posted her suggestions...and the thred that contained them was very informative. Good luck! And welcome to the USA!

ramanth
04-22-2003, 03:45 PM
I'm roughly 4 hours from Oak Park, IL :)

I know some people that moved from Naperville to Michigan, but that doesn't help you. :o

Another friend lives in Oswego, which is south/west of Naperville I think.

Best of luck in your move!!

Kirsten
04-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Oh Efrat, that is so exciting! Good luck with your move! :)

Yes, I also think it's okay for the cats to stay in two rooms, at least for a while. The entire moving thing will be so overwhelming for them and they will probably take some time to adjust...

Good luck with everything! :)

Kirsten

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Efrat
We have decided to move to the USA in 2 months!

How exciting!!! For some reason I was wondering if this was why you were asking about flying with all four kitties, but only two people. :)

Welcome to the US! I think it would be best to keep the cats confined to the two rooms until you find a place of your own. Sounds like you will be with family, and there might be some conflict there, even if they don't express it. And the cats might not be as confused either. Then once you get them to your new place you can let them adjust to their new world.

Unfortunately Naperville further West of me, and too far to go for a vet for me, so I'm not familiar with any of them out that way. But I can ask my vet if he recommends anyone and let you know. I know my vet uses an emergency vet that is a little further West than we are also, so maybe there are some Naperville vets that use the same emergency vet or something.

I'm so excited you're moving here! Can't wait to meet you and Ilan at the next cat show!

Efrat
04-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Thanks for everyone's comments and ideas,
Tubby & Peanut's Mom- Thanks for asking around for vets, that would be great to find one that I have recommenditions for...

K & L - Thanks for all the links !

I'd of course tell you all about the trip and how it went when we finally do it... In the meantime the plan is that Ilan's father and brother will fly here before we leave and then we can travel back together - 4 people with 4 cats in cabin! Hope that will happen...

I'd love to meet all chicago-land people in the nearest cats show after we move, it'll be fun!
:D

Edwina's Secretary
04-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Do let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Sara

smokey the elder
04-27-2003, 07:17 AM
Good luck with the move, and an advanced Welcome to the US! Maybe you'll be here in time for the Fourth of July.

Efrat
04-27-2003, 08:37 AM
Good luck with the move, and an advanced Welcome to the US! Maybe you'll be here in time for the Fourth of July

Thanks, and according to plan we should arrive the last week of june so I 'll be there

Russian Blue
04-27-2003, 10:43 AM
How exciting for you! A whole new life awaits you and you should enjoy having so many Pet Talkers around you!

Good luck and have a safe trip!

;)