PDA

View Full Version : petsitters?

marysmerrycats
04-22-2003, 01:01 AM
my family is planning a family reunion, well just the immediate family, we get together every year. the last 2 years we have either had the reunion here and checked on the cats ourselves, or had a neighbor watching them. in Sept it will be time for the next reunion, and I am wondering what I am going to do with 7 cats... I won't be able to check on them this year, and I have thought of a petsitting service. I am over protective, and worry about how they will be cared for and treated, will the person REALLY love cats and be good to them, or is it just a paycheck to them? it will be hard enough for my cats to have a stranger come in, but I need to be able to trust that person 100%. I might have a friend I could ask... but I am not completely convinced that she has the time, since she has kids, and a new baby, or would do what they require... Emma has her medicine she has to have every other day, etc.
then there is the fact that we have cats in 2 households now, 2 at my moms and 5 here...I am really worried about all this.
I want to start interviewing pettsitting agencies now and find out if I feel comfortablewith them.

I have a friend in another state that has 2 dogs, and she said the owner of the company she used came out to meet her and talked to her and spent time with the dogs for 2 hours! also she said that she met the person that would be the actual sitter. I guess I am just paranoid, I worry that they will not keep a careful enough watch on my babies.:( :confused:

does anyone have any suggestions? have any of you used pet sitters, maybe you could give me some advice as to what to ask them or look for in cat-sitter? I mean of course the person is going to be nice while I'm here..Im worried just how responible they will actually be..
I just want to use these months to find and get the cats acquainted with someone that will be good to them.

I also think that I will have someone that cares for the cats, and another person that will occasionally check on them, that way if I hire a petsitter I can have a friend check to see that they are really ok... I bet that sounds really paranoid?:rolleyes:

CathyBogart
04-22-2003, 01:39 AM
I always find a friend and pay them to stay at my house while I'm gone. Only twice have any mistakes been made and neither was major. (One fish was fed the wrong food and my lizard wound up with two dishes of water)

neko1
04-22-2003, 05:16 AM
Call your vet and see if any of the techs do petsitting. Two of our techs do petsitting on the side, and with a tech you can be absolutely sure that they know how to give medication.

Logan
04-22-2003, 07:55 AM
Mary, as you probably know, I have a variety of pets at my house, including 3 dogs, 2 cats and 2 birds. For me, a petsitter is the way to go. I found a local petsitter who did exactly what you described. She came over, interviewed me, while I interviewed her, but the thing that impressed me the most was when we walked outside to meet the dogs, she sat down on the brick patio (which was damp at the time) and let my two big dogs climb on her lap, lick her face and all the while, she was talking with them and loving them. She did the same thing with the cats! I found her through Petsitters International. In fact, I called three of the four, but she responded first. She's been helping me for almost two years now and I wouldn't trade that for anything. I know that my animals are being loved and cared for when I have to be away, plus they get to stay at home.

It wouldn't hurt to interview several and figure out what you like and dislike with each one. Mine leaves a diary of her visits, who did what, who ate what, etc. I find that to be very reassuring, plus, she doesn't mind if I call and check in with her, and she always can reach me if she needs me.

The website for Petsitters International is: www.petsit.com .

Logan

cali
04-22-2003, 09:36 AM
we had a petsitter not long ago, while we went to a family reunion, the gerbils were fine, and casey was fine when we got back, but we had to housbreak shadow all over again, she kept pooing in the house after that, makes us think she did not let shadow outside very often. make sur ethe petsitter you find, comes over lotes before you leave to your cats get aquanted with her. ummmm, make sure you interview lots of people and go with your gut :)

Uabassoon
04-22-2003, 11:14 AM
I work for a pet sitting agency in Tucson, it's called Just Four Paws. We are bonded and insured, and we don't have a problem at all if you interview of agencies because are #1 priority is that you don't worry while you are away. We are all used to giving medince to pets. We understand that you pets are your children, and we have no problems if you call to check up. The owner has a B.A. in Veterinary Sciences, and is pet CPR/First-Aid certified, and I'm getting my certification over the summer. We also leave daily diaries, and we are bonded and insured. PM me if you have any questions.

slick
04-22-2003, 12:58 PM
I do petsitting myself but do it for free for friends. I don't know about businesses but I make two visits per day and stay for at least an hour each visit and get some play time in. Fortunately my job allows me to set my own hours (within reason) to accommodate this. If the kitties are outdoor kitties I make sure the floor is clean before the owners come back. If they are gone for a longer period, I'll also vacuum. I like the owners to come back to a clean house. Sometimes I will even stay overnight to give them extra loving....

marysmerrycats
04-25-2003, 10:45 AM
thanks for the advice everyone. I will look at the site now.
I did ask at the vets yesterday(had to go pick up something for the cats) and there is just one girl that does that, but she will be busy in Sept.:( too bad, I would have felt comfortable with her watching my cats.
I might have to think about a pet hotel for Muffin and Callie, ther is no way I can bring them over here(cat fights) so unless I can find someone my mom would not mind going into her house..:confused:
well I might be able to...I would hate to have to take them to a strange place!
I am going to start calling around today, checking out petsitters and hotels. for these 5 cats, the person could stay here, I had not thought of that at first, but could be a good idea.

marysmerrycats
04-25-2003, 11:10 AM
thanks for the link, thats a good website, I just printed out some info!

marysmerrycats
04-26-2003, 12:08 PM
does anyone have any suggestions of what questions would be good to ask?
should I make up a list of questions?

Uabassoon
04-26-2003, 12:42 PM
A good petsitter will ask you more questions than you ask them. If you decide to go with an agency make sure they are bonded and insured since, ask them for refrences. When we go in for a client interview we have a list of our refrences as well as letters we've recived from clients. Make sure that while they are there for an interview they seem to want to bond with your pets while they are talking to you. A good petsitter will also remember to ask you all the questions that you will forget. You should see our client contracts, we leave almost no questions unasked.

Cincy'sMom
04-26-2003, 02:55 PM
Hmmm...Mary is in Tucson and needs a petsitter, Uabasson is in Tucson and works for apet setting service....double comfort of getting an insured/bonded service plus knowing an employee (or the sitter) from PT? Could this be a match?

marysmerrycats
04-26-2003, 05:16 PM
hmmm...LOL

Uabassoon, and I have met already, once several months back, but I was just not sure of what I was looking for, I had asked her to help me with the cats meds, hastily , I was so exasperated about all the cats on eye meds at the time! then I got into looking for a new place and moving, I had alot going on at the time and kind of forgot about it.. but now I will most likely contact her company about petsitting.

it's hard meeting someone when you don't know what to talk about :) she's a nice person:)

Uabassoon
04-26-2003, 06:42 PM
Actually since you don't need a sitter for a few months if you like our service since it's really early you could actually get our boss to do your pet sit since I'm sure she isn't booked yet for Sept.

marysmerrycats
04-26-2003, 08:45 PM
I have not yet decided on what service--or who-- I will choose... I may not even go with your service, sorry. at this time, I am just starting to check into it. but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
I have to decide what I need for them then decide who might be the best person for caring for them.

Uabassoon
04-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were choosing our service, I was just saying that if you did since it's early you could have our boss do the sit, which at this time should be true of almost any service you choose. Interviewing is a good idea, we actually recomend it because you need to feel 100% comfortable with who you choose so that way you won't worry as much. But if you have any other questions about pet sitters just PM me and I can help you with what to look for and even direct you to some other agencies, we are friends with some of our competitors.

kingrattus
04-26-2003, 10:05 PM
I use to do pet sitting for neighbours. I just asked for a donation & the use of their cable tv (I didn't have that at home) & a few can of pop & I'll be set.

But I learned the hard way of leaving the same neighbours in care of my pets.. I lost my Hermit crab "Mr Harry Legs." I had him for about 1 year & he was my only pet at the time.

Another neighbour managed to kill all 5 of my 6 yr old goldfish the 2ed day she had them...

So research ur sitters very very very well...