PDA

View Full Version : Videogames - Do they cause violence?

Ann
04-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Hopefully this can start an interesting discussion...

Quite a common question in our modern society is the one about videogames. Do they cause violence? I myself am a strong NO sayer. I've played videogames my whole life and I can gladly say that I am not what you'd call a violent person.

When it comes down to it, it's actually the other way around: When I am pissed or stressed out, I play a violent videogame (preferably a fighting game such as Dead Or Alive 2). By beating the videogame characters to bloody pulps I get out my stress and anger and thus avoid from exploding in real life.

What do you guys think?

aly
04-21-2003, 03:42 PM
I think I'm on the fence on this one. I'm not a video game junkie by any means but I have played my fair share during my life. They haven't made me violent at all. I'm a VERY nonviolent person and even the sight of a little drop of blood makes me woozy. I like to play Mortal Kombat which is pretty violent but I can make the distinction between a game and reality.

However, I do think it has the potential to cause certain individuals to be violent. So I don't really know where I stand on the topic except that I can see both sides.

Chinadoll
04-22-2003, 12:46 AM
I don't think videogames alone inspire violence. It can have some influence, but I think the major deciding factor for whether a person is violent is the environment in which they were raised....not that this always means that someone raised in a place where violence is predominate(sp?), it could have the exact opposite effect...BUT I believe environment is a greater influence than videogames.

My rant...It really irks me when parents blame violence on television or in videogames and go on a rampage for censorship. I don't believe the government should censor, I believe it is the job of the parent. It's really simple, if you don't want your child to see violence on television or in a videogame then restrict their veiwing. Don't lobby the government to do your parenting for you. With v chips in television for parents to restict viewing and ratings on videogames(at least in the US...not sure how other countries do it), I can't stand to see some parents rant and rave about violent content on tv or videogames and that the government should do something about it.

I'm not talking about current government restrictions...ratings on tv shows and video games are good ideas...I'm more speaking of stricter regulations that I hear some parents ranting they want. It reminds me of banning books from certain schools because it may have a bad word.

Anywhoo, I know it was originally about violence in videogames, but I see a paraelle(sp? damn I just cannot spell tonight!) in violence in television shows. I really haven't played videogames since the first Nintendo came out. My sister's playstation 2 makes me almost motion sick. The graphics sure have come a long way. I never did have a problem playing games like Doom on the computer, shoot 'em up military games or sci fi games were ok, but I saw scenes from the game Vice squad or is it vice cop? That sort of violence...street crime stuff creeped me out. I guess it was just a tad too realistic for me. I definitely think it deserves the M for mature rating it has...no way would I let my 12 year old sister play that!

Soledad
04-22-2003, 01:43 AM
Chinadoll - I was all set to respond to this one, only to see that you had posted most everything that I'd wanted to say. :)

RockyRoad
04-22-2003, 12:55 PM
We discussed this in english class a few weeks ago.

I play video games, mostly Zelda, and I am not a violent person. Although I don't play the kind of video games where you go shooting everyone...I hate blood and gore.
My opinion is that it could influence violence in young children. If they can be convinced that a fat man goes down their chimneys at night and leaves presents, then they can be convinced that a person's life can be recovered with the press of a re-set button. But as you get older, you learn to tell the difference between reality and fiction, and it is not a danger anymore. And I sure hope that parents are now keeping their kids away from violence.

So I cannot say for sure if they do or do not...because more mature people do not seem like the kind of people who will become violent because of a video game, but for some people that is different.

iceyshiver21
04-22-2003, 05:02 PM
I dont think that they do....I have played violent video games and never have really thought about takeing someone down.....

Ann
04-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all the interesting responses everyone! I too wanna ditto with Chinadoll's comments about how parents should take responsibility and not leave it up to a censoring government.

I read this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2966725.stm) article today, and I figured I would mention it in here since it does concerns this thread.

So, what do you guys think about this then? Since I hadn't seen the poster in question I went to the official site and downloaded a video which contained the scene. I didn't find it to be offensive, violence-encouraging or anything else that the ASA said. As a matter of fact I thought it was a clever ad which reflected the pun of "Gorey Kombat" instead of "Mortal Kombat".

RICHARD
04-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Boy, 7, tries to rob shop at gunpoint

A seven-year-old boy faces charges in the US after he tried to rob a video shop at gunpoint.

Shop manager Vicky McLaughlin wasn't sure whether the 4ft tall youngster was serious or playing a game.

She called the police who eventually managed to grab the gun which turned out to be a fake, reports the Baltimore Sun.

But, when questioned by police, the boy insisted he had been trying to hold up the shop in Annapolis, Maryland.

The boy, who police did not identify, was charged with attempted armed robbery and released to his mother.

Ms McLaughlin said the gun looked real and the boy had been dressed all in black, with a sweat shirt hood pulled tightly around his head.

"We're still in disbelief that somebody attempted to rob us - and it was a seven-year-old," she said.

In Britain the boy would not be charged with any crime as the age of criminality is ten.

But the law is different in the US and the child could face a range of penalties, depending on whether he has a criminal record.

"It's definitely not taken as a joke when someone points a gun and announces a robbery," said Officer Hal Dalton, a police spokesman. "It could have gotten him killed."

there's a connection in there someplace.....;)

Ann
04-24-2003, 11:59 AM
RICHARD, I honestly don't see the connection. Just cause he was trying to rob a video store doesn't mean he was influenced by videogames!

RICHARD
04-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Ann
RICHARD, I honestly don't see the connection. Just cause he was trying to rob a video store doesn't mean he was influenced by videogames!

it was a little joke, VIDEO store, KID, VIOLENCE (hold up)..

where did the kid get this idea??

probably not from videogames but from a cathode ray tube, for sure.....

my point was HOW kids are influenced by what they see.

not unless one of his parents took him along on a robbery...

Nomilynn
04-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Ann

I think that there is a connection.. how else might a kid like that know how to cover himself up and point a gun, were it not for violent media (be it videogames, TV, etc)?

I don't think that videogames and other media (I really think they all go together) CAUSE violence - BUT if a child's primary babysitter is a TV and assorted peripherals then I think there is a problem. As long as kids are taught that it's fake, then I don't see it as a problem. However I don't think parents/guardians/caretakers enter into those conversations enough with kids. When I did day care I saw kids acting out violent TV shows until I talked to them about it and explained how it all worked. Then I also made rules about how it was NOT ok to Power Ranger kick their playmate in the jaw. :rolleyes:

RICHARD
04-24-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
Then I also made rules about how it was NOT ok to Power Ranger kick their playmate in the jaw. :rolleyes:

geez, i have some explaining to do to my brothers....;)

popcornbird
04-25-2003, 12:55 AM
I definitely believe it DOES influence kids in a bad way. Girls, probably not. Boys, for many, probably yes. I for one *hate* violent video games. I play them like once in a few months when my brother insists that I play against him, but I hate it. I don't like such games. I'm not the kind of person that likes to see violence and even if its *just a game* I don't like it. It does NOT influence me at all, but I do believe violent videogames have a very bad affect on the minds of certain young people. It cannot be the specific cause, but I'm sure it plays a big role in it. They have games nowadays in which you have to be a robber, or a criminal, and I really hate those games. Even though they are rated M or even 21 +, I know 12 year olds, 10 year olds that play them. In my opinion, violent video games play a major role in corruption in today's society. It defintely doesn't influence all people, but I believe it can have a bad effect on the minds of *many* wierd minded people. I'd rather stick to the racing, building, tycoon type of games. JMHO

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-25-2003, 01:20 AM
I try to stay away from the contraversial topics.. but here goes..

I think that it violent t.v..../ video games.. do influence children... I mean if they didn't see it off the t.v... / video game where would they learn it..?!?!

and in society now a days.. you can't really censor EVERYTHING... your child does... i mean kids are bringing guns to schools...:eek:
I (in my own opinion) believe that the government / or someone needs to get the TRASH off the t.v.'s and away from our children. AND some adults too...

Society has become so immature and to a point NASTY to where ANYTHING GOES.. when it comes to the media...

my husband LOOOVES video games and has every system out.. and in the X-BOX magazine it was advertising a bike game.. where if you had a certain code you could see nude pictures of women... AND REALLY... like a kid couldn't get a hold of the game and the codes behind their parents back... and rating it M .. just makes it even more tempting.. and take DOA.. the volleyball game... when kids go into the video game store or read in the gaming magazines about it .. it screams sex.. and I look at violence the same way in videogames....

I am starting to think that people just don't care what little kids see anymore!!!:(

Cookiebaker
04-25-2003, 06:06 AM
My 2 cents is that I believe that it DOES affect those who have a problem establishing reality/fantasy. I used to babysit for a girl (she was around 5 at the time) and she had a REAL problem with this. She thought that animations were real. I don't think if I was a parent that I would allow my children free access to TV or video games. There's too much life to be wasted in front of the tube.

anna_66
04-25-2003, 07:20 AM
I ditto all that Chinadoll said, it's up to the parents to censor what their children are watching or playing. More than likely if they play an active roll in their childrens lives, they won't grow up to think that fantasy is real.

Ann
04-28-2003, 03:26 AM
Well, this sure turned out to be an interesting discussion :D

Originally posted by popcornbird
They have games nowadays in which you have to be a robber, or a criminal, and I really hate those games. Even though they are rated M or even 21 +, I know 12 year olds, 10 year olds that play them.

Ah yes, you're probably thinking of the GTA games... Even though I love those games and have played them for hours (yes, even as a kid) it has never crossed my mind to steal a car or join the yakuza ;)

Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
I think that it violent t.v..../ video games.. do influence children... I mean if they didn't see it off the t.v... / video game where would they learn it..?!?!

If that's how you reason; think yourself back in time... There was crime and murder back then too, even though neither TVs nor video games existed. So how did they learn? However they were taught the ways of crime, people today can be taught.

in the X-BOX magazine it was advertising a bike game.. where if you had a certain code you could see nude pictures of women... AND REALLY... like a kid couldn't get a hold of the game and the codes behind their parents back... and rating it M .. just makes it even more tempting.. and take DOA.. the volleyball game... when kids go into the video game store or read in the gaming magazines about it .. it screams sex.. and I look at violence the same way in videogames....

You're thinking of BMX XXX, one of the lamest and worst games out there... Anways, aside from that fact: What does it matter if kids see nude people? I mean, a lot of people think like you; that if kids see nude people they will grow up to be some evil pervert or something but honestly, I can't agree with that. We're all born the same way, we all look the same in one way or another. What does it matter if a kid sees a pair of boobs? Will that really hurt them? In my personal opinion I am not a pervert at all; and I've seen nude people since I was a little kid. And on the other hand I've known people who's been extremely sheltered as kids (not allowed to watch movied with women in skimpy clothing etc.), and they are the ones that has grown up to be perverts! They've become so obsessed with it in their adulthood because they weren't allowed to see it as a kid. Something natural was made into a big secrecy type of deal and they ended up obsessed with it.

As for DOA, I've already mentioned loving the fighting games but the volleyball version... Well, it's damned obvious that they sell because of sex appeal. It's like a Barbie game for men, getting to collect points on volley to buy even skimpier bikinis. It doesn't bother me though, if people like that junk, then let them! I doubt they will get corrupted or evil because of that.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-28-2003, 11:31 PM
We're all born the same way, we all look the same in one way or another. What does it matter if a kid sees a pair of boobs?

I don't believe that a nude body is something to be shared with EVERYONE..

being nude is supposed to be private.. that is why there are seperators in public showers .... and most shower curtains are not see through (although some are)..

Just like Adam and Eve.. after they first sinned they hid from God because they were ASHAMED to be naked... and that is how (I believe) NORMAL people should be... ashamed to be nude in front of someone other than their husband or wife.... (and if we weren't SUPPOSED to be ashamed to be naked no one would HAVE to wear clothes) and kids should not be able to look on a nude adult (and I say adult because some kids babysit or change younger siblings diapers)... because they are children ... and it doesn't make since that any child be exposed to nudity.. they should be playing ball and only worrying about homework and stuff.

If that's how you reason; think yourself back in time... There was crime and murder back then too, even though neither TVs nor video games existed. So how did they learn? However they were taught the ways of crime, people today can be taught.

yes you are right... but considering that most people spend 90% of their time watching tv or playing video games... if they put something educational or at least only stuff that has decent morals I can guarantee you that this world wouldn't be half as messed up.. and I know that there are some sickos that could spread their violent ways.. but really how many people could they reach.... t.v. is the largest outlet for immorality...

just my opinions.. :)

Soledad
04-29-2003, 01:46 AM
Pops and Sara,

I understand where you guys are coming from, as religious people. I don't agree, but I understand.

To me, nudity is not synonymous with sexuality. I think they're very different things. Showing someone nude (stark nude) on tv seems like less of an offense than showing people partially clothed having sex.

I don't think we should be ashamed of our bodies. We don't walk around nude because it's neither practical nor sanitary. Not because we all hate ourselves or are saving ourselves with our husband/wife. The human body is beautiful (well, mostly ;) ) and we should be proud of what God has given us.

But it's not tv's job to mind other people's religious values. And if you feel strongly about no sex/no violence/no nudity, it is your parental responsibility to supervise your children. Not the governments or broadcasting corporations.

At least, not in a secular society.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-29-2003, 02:25 AM
But it's not tv's job to mind other people's religious values. And if you feel strongly about no sex/no violence/no nudity, it is your parental responsibility to supervise your children. Not the governments or broadcasting corporations. Soledad..

I understand you point of view....

But I am not meaning for tv to mind my or any religious values... but I just get DISGUSTED when any part of the media targets ANYTHING.. with nudity or sex towards children.. and I consider most teenagers children.. because most are NOT mature enough to look at nudity in any way but a perverse one.... and most all tv shows and video games are geered towards kids/teenagers... and they pump so much sex and immoral things into it.....

I just think it is sad.. that no one seems to want kids to stay kids anymore.. they want them to grow up and see nudity and know all about sex and adult situations so early. :(

and i think it is unrealistic to think that parents should censor your childs t.v. watching... or video game playing...
50% of mariages end in divorce... 99% of the time the mother gets full custody.. and that mother works full time.. and sometimes two jobs to keep her family alive.. so in the meantime the child is unsupervised and making their own tv watching dicisions.. and in two parent households... most of those both the parents work.. so no one is home to watch kids when they are working...

I don't think it is fair to put all that responsability on parents... when is society (the media) going to take some credit and help clean up some of the mess it is responsible for !?!?!?

sorry.. i'm gonna get off my soapbox now..:o

Soledad
04-29-2003, 03:16 AM
Sara,

I'm pretty sure we agree with each other on this. Let's see if I can't make my point a little better. ;)

It IS the duty of the government to maintain broadcasting standards and it IS the duty of the corporations to abide by those. HOWEVER, what the government deems a worthy standard may vary with others' religions and morals. They can only come up with a compromise. And, I think, daytime tv should be cleaned up.

And you're SO right. It is society's duty to care for childrens. Disfunctional and/or violent children grow up to become adults capable of a lot of harm. It will come back and hit us in the face if we don't watch out.

But I don't think nudity is public enemy #1. I think the overwhelming amount of sex and violence are the real problems. And, for me, it's not so much the sex and the violence but the irresponsible and unrealistic way they're portrayed. It's totally glorified and devoid of consequences.

Parents have the lion's share of the work in regards to censoring, but the government/corporations need to maintain society's basic decency standards. However, should you feel that mainstream society does not share your standards, it is THEN up to you to supply EXTRA supervision over your children.

Did I make more sense now?
:)

Chinadoll
04-29-2003, 06:39 AM
and i think it is unrealistic to think that parents should censor your childs t.v. watching... or video game playing...
50% of mariages end in divorce... 99% of the time the mother gets full custody.. and that mother works full time.. and sometimes two jobs to keep her family alive.. so in the meantime the child is unsupervised and making their own tv watching dicisions.. and in two parent households... most of those both the parents work.. so no one is home to watch kids when they are working...

What I get from this is that because a parent can't watch their child 24/7 because of work that the government should be responsible for watching your children. I have to disagree. Even if a parent is not there to stand over a child to make sure he/she is behaving/following the rules, I think it's unfair to assume that the child will not respect the parent's wishes/rules.

A parent can restrict a child's tv/videogame viewing without standing over the child 24/7. There's such things as the v-chip and restricting what types of videogames are bought or brought into the home. It also has to do with how you raise your child, if you can't always trust what your child is doing or the decisions your child makes when you are not there, then what type of child are you raising? It is possible to be a responsible parent and instill values even if the parent works a lot.

The government is there to promote standards of basic decency. That standard is constantly changing. If you as a parent disagree with it, it is up to you as the parent to censor your child. No matter how many hours a parent works, if that parent feels that strongly about what their child is exposed to with television and videogames, censoring the child can be done...not perfectly of course, there will probably always be some instances where the parent can't control the situation, but on the whole the parent does ultimately control what their child is exposed to.

:)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-29-2003, 10:30 AM
I think the overwhelming amount of sex and violence are the real problems. And, for me, it's not so much the sex and the violence but the irresponsible and unrealistic way they're portrayed. It's totally glorified and devoid of consequences.

:D ;)

Even if a parent is not there to stand over a child to make sure he/she is behaving/following the rules, I think it's unfair to assume that the child will not respect the parent's wishes/rules.

I agree.. .. But even when your child is respecting your rules... there is some maniac who is letting their child watch whatever on tv... and he goes to school the next day exposing my child to it.... and if it wasn't on the tv in the first place our children could be safer from it....

I know I am asking for a perfect world which is NOT going to happen.. but If the government would just realize how many problems parents are having now-a-days... I just wish they would help more with the problem ...

aghghgh..... do I get my soapbox award now?!?!?!
:o .............;)

Chinadoll
04-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Sara, I understand your point of view...I may have some differing issues but I do get what you mean. :)

hmmm...soapbox award...will this do?
http://loyno.edu/~tdomil/soapboxemot.gif
lol ;)

edit: darn it! I can't get my little soap box picture to show. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. oh well, just click on the link. :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-30-2003, 12:58 AM
hmm.. YES!! that will do nicely!!:D
;) :D ;)

kind of looks like me too.... *lol* j/k

Ann
05-02-2003, 08:46 AM
Just like Adam and Eve.. after they first sinned they hid from God because they were ASHAMED to be naked... and that is how (I believe) NORMAL people should be... ashamed to be nude in front of someone other than their husband or wife....

Hmm... That's very interesting that you bring that up! See, the way I interpreted the Adam and Eve thing is the Bible is like this: God wanted humans to be able to be nude infrong of eachother; being completely innocent it wouldn't matter to them or make them think "naughty" thoughts. But when they ate the apple they suddenly were like... infected with human sins and were ashamed of their nakedness, realizing the sexual meaning it had. So when God found out how tainted they had became he threw em outta Eden and that was that.

Of course, that's just my interpretation, so please don't get offended or anything. I've had major interesting discussions about this with my priest during my confirmation study times (no clue if that's the proper English name for it) and he kept emphazising that the reason God threw them out of Eden were because they disobeyed his order of not eating the fruit. I on the other would like to view it from the point of view I wrote above; wanting to see him as a forgiving god that wouldn't care if his beloved creation didn't obey him blindly.

Again, this is just my take on it all, so I hope no one will get offended :)

Cataholic
05-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Ann- hold on to your clothes...as I am about to TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!:D :D

This is a question I like to ask when someone says that something bad= something bad, like violent shows/video games = violent people.....

Does that mean watching nothing but really talented people sing/play sports/ act = you being able to sing/play sports/act really well? No way! Or, I would be a REALLY talented singer, and trust me, my dog howls better than I sing. (And, I have watched alot of tennis, world cup, etc., and I just ain't that good).

So, why is the converse true, that violent shows/video games = violent kids????? It is your upbringing, your moral values, your parents or lack of, your discipline, or lack of...and, face it, being odd/different is WAY more acceptable today than it was even 50 years ago (no, I wasn't born then).

As to nudity/separate bathrooms, shower curtains being non see through??? WHAT?????? Come on people! Seriously? Nudity does not equal sex. The American people have a big 'ole hang up on the human body, and we pay for it in the strange obsessions we pass on to our children.

Funny, but true story. This weekend, there was a little street fair in a well to do community. The lines for the bathroom at Starbucks (my fave coffee place) were riduculously long for the women's, of course. The mens? No lines, no waiting. I walked passed FOUR women, and had one lady say, "we are in line" . I said, 'for the men's?" SHOCK/DISMAY "Oh, no"...so, in I went. Guess what? IT HAS THE SAME STUFF IN IT THAT THE FEMALE BATHROOM DOES! That is just plain absurd crazy stuff. Do you maintain separate restrooms at home????? UGHH...

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-06-2003, 06:37 PM
Hmm... That's very interesting that you bring that up! See, the way I interpreted the Adam and Eve thing is the Bible is like this: God wanted humans to be able to be nude infrong of eachother; being completely innocent it wouldn't matter to them or make them think "naughty" thoughts. But when they ate the apple they suddenly were like... infected with human sins and were ashamed of their nakedness, realizing the sexual meaning it had. So when God found out how tainted they had became he threw em outta Eden and that was that.

right... that is what happened... when Adam and Eve ate the fruit sin was introduced into the Earth which made them ashamed to be naked because sin brought the perverse thoughts... but God threw them out because they sinned and disobeyed Him..When Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden everything was supplied for them... so they had to leave and fend for themselves... they could no longer have the privelidges (sp) God once let them have.... so it is not that He threw them out for being tainted they just lost the reward (living in the Garden) for being sinless

Nudity does not equal sex.
the sad thing about that is that most people can not look on nudity without thinking about sex..... like if you see nudity in magazines or movies it is perversed by sexual situations.. it is hardley ever made to look at in an innocent manner.... especially when it is targeted at kids.... and that is my hangup. :)

Ann...
Here is that story from the Bible... which it sounds like you've read it before... :) ... but ... .just in case you wanna read it again...

6: And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
7: And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
8: And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
9: And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10: And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
11: And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
12: And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
13: And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
14: And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
16: Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
17: And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18: Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
19: In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
20: And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
21: Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
22: And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
23: Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
24: So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Ann
05-08-2003, 12:51 PM
*grins at Cataholic* That's funny; I do that same thing with public bathrooms! As long as it's not an urinal that is...

Oh ok Sara, so I wasn't totally off then! Something funny that I noticed when reading your Bible quote is that it never says straight out that the fruit is an apple! Perhaps it says earlier in the text or perhaps it's just your version of the Bible, but it's still kinda odd... I actually don't think it pinpoints the fruit as an apple in my Swedish version either.

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Something funny that I noticed when reading your Bible quote is that it never says straight out that the fruit is an apple! Perhaps it says earlier in the text or perhaps it's just your version of the Bible, but it's still kinda odd... I actually don't think it pinpoints the fruit as an apple in my Swedish version either.

I don't think the any Bible says apple... (scratches head)... but I am not sure...
I think it is just something they say to help tell it to children... just like the Noah and the ark..... they didn't really take only 2 a piece... it was 7 clean and 2 unclean (i think)... but I guess they just change it around to help children learn the Bible stories.. and then we grow up keeping that wording with us...;)