PDA

View Full Version : Speedy is ill, taking a trip to the vets :(

luckies4me
04-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Speedy my hedgehog is sick. I took him out of his cage during the day for playtime, but since they are up all night he gets time out to run around in the bathtub while we are sleeping. I usually throw some Carefresh in the tub with some hidey areas and his towel. Well this morning I woke up and looked into the tub, BLOOD EVERYWHERE!!! :eek: :(

I felt like crying right then and there. I also noticed that he had some loose stools, and some tarry ones (dark thick and black) with some mucous in them. I took him out of the tub and his whole body was covered in blood. I set him down on the floor, rinsed out the tub and then he went into the bath to get all the nasties off of him. After his bath, there were no obvious injuries, which I assumed as there is no way to hurt himself in the bathtub. I looked at his underside and no more blood, it all washed off. So I am assuming the blood came from his urine or his stools. :(

I was up very early this morning so called the ER clinic, which told me to just take him to my regular vet. Well they are not too experienced with hedgies (although VERY good with rats) so I am taking him to work with me tomorrow. Luckily, my clinic takes drop offs and work ins. I am so happy to be able to bring him to work with me tomorrow. I can watch him all day. :D

What really worries me if the tarry poop, because I know that signals the animal is very ill. He's been eating and drinking thank god, thank you God! I cleaned out his whole cage at 6 this morning. I am so worried about him. I hope it is not a bladder infection. :( He would have to be anesthetized to look at him if it was, which I am assuming they would have to do anyway since they will probably have to draw blood from him. Poor guy. I can't wait to get him in tomorrow. I am going to call my work as soon as they open and talk to Dr. Barrett to see what I should do in the meantime. I am so sad right now. Speedy is my little man and I love him so much. I hope he is going to be ok. I am so sad. :(

He was fine yesterday and enjoyed a spring Easter photo session and loved it. He was in good spirits. I just don't know what has happened.

Sorry for all the typos, but I am so worried right now I can't think straight.

Uabassoon
04-21-2003, 09:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Speedy, I hope he feels better soon.

luckies4me
04-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Here is an Easter picture I took of Speedy yesterday. Isn't he cute?!!! :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pfeeb026943a2d6a3f8ba1e2787ce46dd/fc4df59a.jpg

Please everyone pray for Speedy. He really needs your prayers. He's only a year and a half old.

Jessica12345
04-21-2003, 09:36 AM
oh no!:( Im so sorry to hear about speedy. I hope he gets well soon! my thoughts and prayers are with you and speedy. :(

luckies4me
04-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Here is a picture of the bathtub....how it looked this morning when I found him. I am going to print it out and give it to Dr. Barrett tomorrow. Maybe it will help them a little....:confused: But see how much blood there is? I hope I am not overreating.

Jessica12345
04-21-2003, 10:18 AM
omg!:eek: :( that is A LOT of blood! :( poor guy! no, you are NOT over reacting.:( once again, my prayers are with you. :(

CathyBogart
04-21-2003, 11:20 AM
You aren't overreacting! Poor speedy!! My thoughts are with you, best of luck and please let us know what happens!

luckies4me
04-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Well Speedy hasn't ate or drank pretty much all day. He did this morning a little but has since stopped. I am going to try to give him some tator tots and see if he eats those. :( I gave him some NutriCal though. I can't wait to get him in tomorrow!!!!

luckies4me
04-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Getting ready to go to work and take Speedy with me. I will update when I get back. :)

luckies4me
04-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Well I took Speedy to work with me yesterday and the doctor had a good look at him. He weighed him. He was a good 365 pounds lol. He's a petite hedgie but Dr. Barrett said he is in good health besides his one problem. Another words, his eyes are clear, skin is in good condition etc.

He said it could be a few things with Speedy. One, he was constipated from something and tore his behind while going to the bathroom (most likely cause of bleeding), he has a pollop (in which case he would have to have surgery), he has a bladder infection or he has bladder stones. One of those four things. We are hoping he just tore his butt a little, but the doc seems to think it's most likely a pollop. If it is the vet would have to go into his rectum and check it out, and remove the pollop surgically.

So I was given some Trimethoprim Sulfa to try for a few days and if that doesn't work than we will have to sedate him and try to figure out what is wrong. :( I am hoping the meds are going to work and that he doesn't bleed again. They want me to put him in the bathtub again tonight and see what happens.

He was a very good patient while being handled but as soon as I put him back in his cage he threw a fit and flung his food around everywhere lol. Silly hedgie! :p

Here are some pics of his vet trip :

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p75be5c10f655917d88c4125a1f32c25e/fc49614c.jpg

Yes that's me looking ugly....I hadn't brushed my hair in a few hours and my profile is just discusting anyhow lol.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p449dfc282dd857783ec528c6d7d69fd0/fc4962d7.jpg

Please pray that Speedy does NOT have to have surgery!!!

Thanks to everyone who responded for their support in all this, it really means a lot to me. Thanks! :)

luckies4me
04-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Oh ya, they also did a floater and fecal smear and he had NO parasites! Hurray! :D

It's kinda grose having to mush up hedgehog poop....this was the vets first hedgehog fecal she looked at lol. :p

CathyBogart
04-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Well, Here's hoping these meds do the trick!! I had a dog a few years ago who had something similar happen where he was constipated and then tore something. Poor guy was already old and blind, He didn't need to add another thing to the list!

Speedy is still a cutie, and I'm glad he's otherwise healthy and parasite free! (You think mushing up hedgehog poop is gross? Come on over next time Alielle gets her biannual fecal!! *shudders*

luckies4me
04-23-2003, 12:38 PM
Is that your dragon? I have a gecko and his poo is grose. YUCK!

Anywho WolfChan, guess what? My babies opened their eyes today!!!!:D :D :D

I am going to take pics today and post in the other thread. The velveteens are just adorable! I am unsure of the color of the two light boys...they look to be siamese or a weird minky beige color. :confused:

luckies4me
04-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
He was a good 365 pounds lol.

OMG I reread what I wrote and I just could not stop laughing!!! WolfChan I cannot believe you didn't catch me there lol! ROFLMAO!!!:p

Can you imagine a 365 pound hedgie :eek: , hahahahahah. I cannot stop laughing!

I meant 365 grams lmao! :rolleyes: :D

RockyRoad
04-23-2003, 01:12 PM
We'll be praying that Speedy's meds will work and he won't have to have surgery. Glad to hear he doesn't have parasites though.:)
{{{Hugs}}}

CathyBogart
04-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Yah, Alielle is my beardie. OH, PICS!! YAY!!!

Do you think you could host some pics of my friend's new rescue rat until I get my server back up??

wolflady
04-23-2003, 04:19 PM
LOL LOL So like is your vet a hottie or what?? :eek: LOL LOL :o ;)

I sure hope everything is ok with speedy!! :)

luckies4me
04-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I haven't been online in a week! :eek:

WolfLady.....I guess he's ok for an old dude lol. :p

Speedy is doing great. He has gained back all his weight and has a healed butt. lol Thanks everyone for your thoughts. :D

luckies4me
04-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Yah, Alielle is my beardie. OH, PICS!! YAY!!!

Do you think you could host some pics of my friend's new rescue rat until I get my server back up??

Don't know if you still need me to but sure....:)

CathyBogart
04-30-2003, 02:51 AM
My man got his server back up, but thanks!!