PDA

View Full Version : New Gerbil Help!!!!

tikeyas_mom
04-20-2003, 07:34 PM
I just perchased my first gerbil a while ago named Sage. He/She came down with an ear infection and is now taking some weired pill that disolves in His/Her water. I just got my second Gerbil today *Jade* HE is for sure male. I can see his testies very well.

But I am not sure if my Sage is male as well. They get along great grooming and playing it is so cute how much the interact. I DO NOT want pups, What do I do? Can someone help me out with sexing.

thanks soooo much

*worried*

RockyRoad
04-20-2003, 07:37 PM
I searched Google, and this site looks good.
http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/royalstargerbils/sexing.html
Hope it helps.
:)

tikeyas_mom
04-20-2003, 07:40 PM
ok lol. i was just at google so I probably went to that site already for info on what to do. :eek:

tikeyas_mom
04-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Yes i have been to that site :(. I still couldent tel if my gerbil was male or female it is sooo hard.

tikeyas_mom
04-20-2003, 07:59 PM
I just compared the my wo gerbils and I have bad news. Once I have both of them being sexed right after the other it is soo odvious what sex they are.

Sage: female.

Jade: male.

great..... :(. I read on some site that gerbils might not mate for several months. I dont want pups though. uhhggggg this sux.

What do I do?

I guess I could wait to see if Sage gets pregnant and then when she does start to buldge or ahhhh I dont know what to do!! :(

primabella
04-20-2003, 08:45 PM
I don't know a thing about gerbils but since you seem so upset, I guess you can't neuteur a gerbil??

wolfsoul
04-20-2003, 09:29 PM
I think neutering a gerbil would be very difficult....There is an extreme caution when neutering rats, and they are five times the size of a gerbil..

It may be that your gerbil Sage hasn't matured yet. :) Are you sure that you looked at the pics and clearly identified it as a girl? If it is a girl, the little bump should be almost touching the anus. A boy's should be alot farther away, almost on the belly ;)

aly
04-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Is Sage's ear infection better?

tikeyas_mom
04-20-2003, 10:44 PM
maybe you are right wolfsoul. Sage might not be fully mature...

Sages ears are the same pratically.

CathyBogart
04-20-2003, 10:45 PM
I don't know about gerbils, but mice can be neutered so I assume gerbils can as well. However, for someone who doesn't take her gerbils to the vet this might be a challenge.

wolfsoul
04-20-2003, 10:58 PM
I think that Sage just hasn't matured. If the gerbils get along great already, than Jade has probably seen that Sage poses no threat, and has welcomed him :) Putting two mature males together is alot more difficult ;)

tikeyas_mom
04-20-2003, 11:03 PM
I am pritty sure that Sage is female. I dont want to risk my gerbils life to neuter him. It just isnt worth the risk in my eyes. And + it isnt my choice to NOT goto the vet, its my moms. and second of all I took Sage to the store and got them to take him to the vet. Which they were suppost to do. I never seen Sage in 4 days befor I herd of news. So dodnt Say I didnt try to fix the ear infection Wolf_chan. Because I did what I could.

slleipnir
04-20-2003, 11:49 PM
I used to have gerbils. I had a male and a female once in diff cages. The male would pound his feet on the ground in responce to the female..I tried to introduce another female with her at one time and they fought..so I don't know if its the same with males, but if you want to be sure just keep them apart..

shais_mom
04-20-2003, 11:51 PM
why don't you separate them?
And why didn't you research more info before you went out and got another one?

tikeyas_mom
04-20-2003, 11:55 PM
who said I didnt research? I have done SOOOOOO mucg research dont worrie.

And I dont have a another extra cage.

slleipnir
04-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Then theres nothing you can do..you should have made sure before you bought it :[ You can always get a divider for the cage..I had one to introduce my 2 females..(not that it worked)

tikeyas_mom
04-21-2003, 12:11 AM
ya I am going up to my dads friends tomorrow and getting a screen then I can make a divider. *sigh*

slleipnir
04-21-2003, 12:12 AM
I hope the screen is like a wire screen..so they dont chew through it :[ You'd be amazed at what they can chew lol

tikeyas_mom
04-21-2003, 12:17 AM
wire screen? yikes never thought of that, eep!!!!

tikeyas_mom
04-21-2003, 12:17 AM
what about chicken wire???? or would that be to dangerous?

slleipnir
04-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Like..-thinks- I don't really remember what ours was (and I can't think right off what chicken wire looks like) but normal screen they can def chew through..might take a bit but they can lol

wolf_Q
04-21-2003, 12:30 AM
If chicken wire is what I'm thinking of (I'm not positive) then I'd think the holes would be too big...they could go through it and possibly be stuck in it.

I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time believe you did very much researching before you got a gerbil...or any pet for that matter.

slleipnir
04-21-2003, 12:32 AM
I agree with Amy on both parts lol. I was kinda thinking chicken wire was big too but wasnt sure. I know we used it to patch part of our fence a while ago..could be wrong.
And if you really researched then you probably would have made sure you have the same gender..and you would know that not all get along so it would only be right to have 2 cages ready

CathyBogart
04-21-2003, 01:21 AM
1: Chicken wire is very soft.

2: If you did tons of research why did you throw another gerbil in with your current one without sexing them, and without at LEAST having an extra cage handy? That doesn't seem well-researched.

3: Don't put an underscore in my name.

Edited to add #4: My man brought a good point up to me...They could probably mate through anything with openings bigger than a fine mesh anyways.

luckies4me
04-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Besides all the other points made, isn't the other gerbil still sick? You didn't have money to take him to the vet, what if this one gets sick? If you can't afford the money to care for these animals you shouldn't have them.

CathyBogart
04-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Thanks Luckies!! I have been bussing my animals to and from the vet for the past two years when they needed it. If need be I would sell my digital camera, palm pilot, computer...even my Corvette in a heartbeat for any of them.

If my mother was ever able to enforce a ban on veterinary attention on my animals, I would find someone else to take care of them, as much as it would break my heart. They deserve to get medical attention when they need it. Rottueluver45 came to this painful decision when parents wouldn't help with vet bills for Thelmer, and as hard as it must have been it was the best thing to do.

luckies4me
04-21-2003, 11:22 AM
I have been in that situation before with my cat and let me tell you, it sucks. I did everything I could to get him to the vet the next day because he HAD to go. When we were having money troubles I was smart and quit breeding for awhile, it's just not fair for the animals.

My hedgie Speedy is sick right now and tomorrow he is going to work with me. I am so destressed over what has happened to him. :( You can see the thread about him in Pet General. There is no way I could just leave him home and just hope he gets better. He needs a vet and that is what he will get. I just hope it goes well. I know they will have to put him under, and I am dreading that!

shais_mom
04-21-2003, 12:18 PM
I have to agree with the others and WolfChan (no underscore) your reply made me laugh out loud!! he he

I DON'T think you researched b/c you would have asked the store to sex the gerbil/s for you. I seriously doubt they spay gerbils.
Why do you keep getting more and more and more?
ack
You want to tame your birds, you can't so you go buy another one.
Your rabbit unfortunately died. So you run out and get a gerbil and then you tell Rottielover that guinea pigs are more work than rabbits. How would you know? How long did you have Angel?

For the love of Pete don't let Tikeya near the gerbils you won't have to worry about sexing them then.
I seriously doubt you have the money for vet care, but who cares when you can run out and buy more like you seem to be doing.
I simply don't understand you. It seems to be your motto is
When in doubt, get another Pet.
And this drives me crazy b/c you have pretty much proved to most of us that you can't care for the ones you do have.
And before you come after me and say " I do care about my pets" b/c I know you or your friend will. There is a BIG difference in caring about and caring for.
Those people that they show on Animal Planet that have over 20+cats care about them too, but they are covered in fleas, and are inbreeding. And the people are mentally ill.
Now before you twist my words. which you have a tendency to do: I did NOT say that
1) YOUR pets are covered in fleas and are inbreeding
or that
2) You are mentally ill.

IMO

tikeyas_mom
04-21-2003, 01:48 PM
I DON'T think you researched b/c you would have asked the store to sex the gerbil/s for you

I did she said they were both males.

tikeyas_mom
04-21-2003, 01:49 PM
oh and I am soooo sory I put an underscore in your name wolf_chan :rolleyes:

wolfsoul
04-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Common people, give her a break. Petcetera is really stupid and can't sex worth a darn. My friend got her both her gerbils there, and they told her they were both females. Well, a few months later, seven little heads popped up from no where.
Obviously Tikeyas_mom thought Petcetera was right, and didn't realize they could be wrong until she saw the differences between her two gerbils.

You want to tame your birds, you can't so you go buy another one.
If I remember correctly, which I do, she tamed the birds. They now sit on her and aren't afraid.

Your rabbit unfortunately died. So you run out and get a gerbil and then you tell Rottielover that guinea pigs are more work than rabbits. How would you know? How long did you have Angel?
You speak very lightly of passed family members.

primabella
04-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Just curious..when you said this "Common people" did you mean..common people or come on people? :rolleyes:

tikeyas_mom - I really think you should have done a bit more research but since you didn't, it is too late now. What's done is done. Just make the divider and hope nothing happens. There is always the option that you get another cage. I have no other suggestions, I don't know anything about Gerbil care :rolleyes:

tikeyas_mom
04-21-2003, 04:18 PM

This has nothing to do with Angel. I had her for about 2 weeks befor she died. I didnt just RUN out and get a gerbil. I got a gerbil like 2 months later. get real. I am telling Rottielover that guinea pigs are more work because they are.

I didnt make this post to argue, most of you have a tendincy to do that on my post for some odd reasons. I just wanted to know how to sex gerbils. I looked at many websites and none helped. It was to dificult to do. But whever. I know now not to listen to when the pet stores say because they are idiots. I am also not going to take your bad or rude comments with open arms.

tikeyas_mom - I really think you should have done a bit more research but since you didn't, it is too late now.

You dont know me, none of you do. So who r u to judge me? I did research. How do you know I didnt? you done. That angers me. I just needed SEXING help and thats it, because websites were not good for sexing info.

I also needed help with knowing what was wrong with Sages ear, woopdy doo... I took Sage back tot he store and trusted them to take Sage to the vet. I did my best.

Cheeko and Spanky are tame now, they have been makeing great progress. I dont think most of you understand how much I care about animals. I love them they are my life, I am sooooo sorry I dont have a job because I got turned down, but I am looking for one.

Then I will take Sager to the vet and ask about neutering Jade.

And shais_mom what do you mean by this??

For the love of Pete don't let Tikeya near the gerbils you won't have to worry about sexing them then.
The gerbils are up high. I have 3 hamsters in seperate cages that are at Tikeyas eye level and she doesnt bother them. As if Tikeya is going to jump up and eat them. :rolleyes: she isnt interested.

primabella
04-21-2003, 04:28 PM
You dont know me, none of you do. So who r u to judge me? I did research. How do you know I didnt? you done. That angers me.

Fine. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I just stated what I thought. All I know if that you "researched", bought a Gerbil and now are in trouble. Just make the divider and that'll be the end of it. Like, I said. Hope nothing bad comes out of it.

wolfsoul
04-21-2003, 04:32 PM
I meant "Come on."

Tikeyas_mom, why not just divide them, and then see if Sage develops testicles? :) They don't develop them for a while. My friend had three baby gerbils, and none of them had testies, so everyone just assumed that they were all females. Well, one day there were six new heads :rolleyes: lol, and even then none of the gerbils had testies.

tikeyas_mom
04-21-2003, 04:33 PM
If chicken wire is what I'm thinking of (I'm not positive) then I'd think the holes would be too big...they could go through it and possibly be stuck in it.

What if it is tightly woven chicken wire??? They make that in harware store for really cheep...

Fine. I just stated what I thought. All I know if that you "researched", bought a Gerbil and now are in trouble. Just make the divider and that'll be the end of it. Like, I said. Hope nothing bad comes out of it.

I am sorry prime I just am mad at the ppl who are assuming things about me that are not even close to true. I am truly sorry for snapping at you, I am just frusterated.

I dont think anything bad will come out of this honestly anymore, to think of it, getting a divider is simple., I just have to find something to make it out of.

I did research though I can give you any website off the top of my head because I have been to them like 100 times trying to find info along with emailing the moderators of everysite with questions.

Tweety_Pie
04-21-2003, 04:35 PM
I don't think tikeyas_mom came posted this thread to argue. She came her to ask for some help.

primabella
04-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I am sorry prime I just am mad at the ppl who are assuming things about me that are not even close to true. I am truly sorry for snapping at you, I am just frusterated.

It's all good. :)

One question:

My friend got her both her gerbils there, and they told her they were both females. Well, a few months later, seven little heads popped up from no where.

If wolfsoul knew that they were nog ood for this and you guys are, I think, friends, shouldn't she have told you about this, kinda as a warning? Maybe not, i am just wondering :rolleyes:

wolfsoul
04-21-2003, 04:41 PM
It's not like we talk everyday. We've only met once, and she told me that the gerbil she was getting before was already taken, so I never even thought to warn her. She didn't tell me she was getting this gerbil before she got it.

primabella
04-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Okay, I get it now.

tikeyas_mom
04-21-2003, 08:20 PM
ps prime I like your new sig it is so cute :D. And I didnt tell Wolfsoul I was getting this gerbil. I told alot of ppl here I was planning on getting a second gerbil as a companion for Sage a while back though.

wolf_Q
04-21-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
I simply don't understand you. It seems to be your motto is
When in doubt, get another Pet.
And this drives me crazy b/c you have pretty much proved to most of us that you can't care for the ones you do have.
And before you come after me and say " I do care about my pets" b/c I know you or your friend will. There is a BIG difference in caring about and caring for.

WELL-SAID!!

I didnt make this post to argue, most of you have a tendincy to do that on my post for some odd reasons....You dont know me, none of you do. So who r u to judge me?

We judge you by what you post. If you don't want people to judge you, don't post in an open forum. I've read pretty much all your posts. From what you have said...I, personally, don't think you know what it takes to properly care for a pet.

tikeyas_mom
04-22-2003, 10:52 AM
I, personally, don't think you know what it takes to properly care for a pet.

Well You "THINK" wronge.