PDA

View Full Version : Budgies 'n' Tiels

primabella
04-20-2003, 04:30 PM
I found this website on the net kinda by accident. I know how people might be wondering about getting a new tiel or budgie and this website has some pretty good information. Anyways, thought I'd post it in case anyone was interested:

Budgies 'n' Tiels (http://budgies-n-tiels.com/)

Tweety_Pie
04-20-2003, 04:41 PM
OMG! thats so cool! I was looking at that site like 2 days ago. It's a good site. Also I thought i just might tell you....Tweety might have a disease:( My aunts a vet and I saw her today and she told me. My uncle knows alot about birds and he told me what the disease is called and told me to research it and he said that she might have it as well:(:confused: It has something to do with a crusty beak...and respritory(sp?) problems.

primabella
04-20-2003, 06:36 PM
OMG, are you serious? That is so sad! I hope she doesn't and if she does, it is treatable. Do you know if it is?

One thing, if your aunt is a vet why would you need to research on the disease she thinks your bird has? Wouldn't she know enough about it to give you any additional info?

Tweety_Pie
04-20-2003, 07:41 PM
well humans can catch the disease from birds so she told me to do some research just in case....but ither than that I'm probably takeing Tweety to the vet tomorrow or the next day. The only thing is.... I was trying to find an avian vet, but I don't know where there is one around where I live, so I will probably just take Tweety to the vet where my aunt works. I hope Tweety is alright.

iwuvsmypuppy
04-20-2003, 08:19 PM
i hope Tweety is alright....:(:(:(

Tweety_Pie
04-20-2003, 08:32 PM
the disease is called Psittacosis

primabella
04-20-2003, 08:43 PM
Oh, I get it. I hope she is alright :( Take care of her. (even thought I'm sure you will :))

Tweety_Pie
04-20-2003, 08:55 PM
There is an Avian Vet 20-30 minutes away from my house and my dad is willing to drive me there so im going to call them tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment ASAP!!!

popcornbird
04-20-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Tweety_Pie
the disease is called Psittacosis

Is your aunt concluding this just because of loose droppings?!?! :eek:

Loose droppings can be a symptom of many things. I doubt it would be that, because that disease normally has other symptoms as well. I think its a good idea to take her to an AVIAN vet to get checked. Typical vets don't know what they are doing when dealing with birds so taking her to an avian vet is important. This disease *if* she has it, is very treatable, although the other bird will also have to be treated if Tweety really has it (hoping she doesn't). Remember, loose droppings can be a bacterial/fungus infection, stress (maybe because of the new bird??), and many other things. It does NOT have to be psittacosis. There are many more possiblities. Are there any more syptoms or just loose droppings? Hope your Tweety bird is alright! Good luck!

Tweety_Pie
04-21-2003, 11:19 AM
it's not just loose droppings. She also has a crusty cere, and it's runny. She is sneezing to. There is an avian vet 20-30 minutes away from my house and my parents are taking Tweety there to get checked out.

popcornbird
04-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Oh I see. :( Poor Tweety. Even with these symptoms, it can be many things and its not neccessary that its psittacosis. *If* it does happen to be psittacosis, the disease IS treatable and birds recover fully after treatment. I believe Dexter will also have to be treated if that's what she has. It could also be a minor bacterial/fungal infection, so hopefully the vet will let you know what it is and start the treatment. A runny cere and sneezing *can* be allergies, or sinus, but with that, I would doubt the droppings would be runny. Was Tweety showing these symptoms before Dexter came? If not, its possible that Dexter brought the illness with him. Some birds can have psittacosis and show absolutely no symptoms. Others can be carriers, giving it to other birds but not getting ill themselves. That's why it is important to get a new bird checked by the vet and keeping it in quarantine, away from the other bird, for at least 1-2 months so you can moniter the new bird and make sure everything is normal. Good luck Tweety bird and get well soon!

When are you going to the vet?

Tweety_Pie
04-21-2003, 02:10 PM
I am calling the vet to make an appointment after my mom gets home from work.