PDA

View Full Version : Do I get that Second Dog?

ramanth
08-06-2001, 12:13 PM
I recently adopted a Husky/Australian Cattle Dog mix. She's three years old.

There is now a 2 and a half year old female Husky up for adoption.

We've been thinking about getting a second dog as a companion for Kia but I'm afraid she'll resent us since she's still getting used to us.

But I don't want to wait too long to get that second dog since she's relatively young. It's also great that they are close in the same age.

Does anyone have Husky's or husky mixes? How well do they get along?

Kim S.
and KiaKia's Pics (http://www.geocities.com/ramanth/kia.html)

kobieeli
08-06-2001, 12:50 PM
Hi Kim,

I'm the one with that similar breed mix as yours. I can tell you that when we were considering getting a second dog, lots of vets, breeders, and dog people told us that ACDs can sometimes be difficult around other dogs (very dominant). Kobie's definitely that way. I also know from people with Malamutes that some nordic breeds have the same problem. Uh oh!

Kobie is definitely learning to be better with other dogs now that Eli has come along. They're only a year apart in age, too.

One thing EVERYONE told us: two females, or two males, tend to fight a LOT more than dogs of different sexes. That's why we got a male for Kobie. You might want to think about that second female a bit more and ask around before committing.

RachelJ
08-06-2001, 12:51 PM
Kia is absolutely stunning. Congratulations on finding such a wonderful animal to share you life with. And thank you for deciding to give Kia a home and family. But are you sure you want to take the step of going from a one dog family to a two dog family so soon? There are lots of things to consider.

ramanth
08-06-2001, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by RachelJ:
<STRONG>Kia is absolutely stunning. Congratulations on finding such a wonderful animal to share you life with. And thank you for deciding to give Kia a home and family. But are you sure you want to take the step of going from a one dog family to a two dog family so soon? There are lots of things to consider.</STRONG>

Hi Rachel,

Thank you. Your Kobie is gorgeous. I wouldn't mind having a male or female.

Thanks for the advice. I thought maybe a female around the same age would be less of a problem than a male. Boy was I surprised!

Kia is great with other animals in passing but I wasn't sure how she'd feel about having one to stay...or how the other animal would feel about Kia being there.

We will definately think it over long and hard before making a final decision.

But we'll probably be waiting awhile. The Husky we had in mind got adopted. I'm happy she went to a good home but I wish we could of adopted her.

Kim S.

Dixie Belle
08-07-2001, 12:52 AM
I have a St. Bernard and a mutt. Both are females. They were not raised around each other. There were some issues at first, but in about 2 weeks, they were best friends!