PDA

View Full Version : What kind of cat should I get?

cocker_luva
04-20-2003, 10:06 AM
I don't know what kind of cat to get? I've narrowed it down to the ones in the poll. Please respond, i don't want to be shooting in the dark.

ewgirl401
04-20-2003, 10:28 AM
I say get a Australlian Mist. I think that is what you favor too. It is a hard choice to make b/c all cats are just so CUTE.

moosmom
04-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Get a rescue kitty from the local shelter. There are SO many unwanted, abused and abandoned cats already out there looking for homes without lining the pockets of breeders.

And yes, it IS possible to get a purebreed rescue. Out of my 7 cats, 3 are purebreed rescues (from breeders :mad: ). The others are also rescues but plain old DSH's.

jenluckenbach
04-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Get a rescue kitty. They aer by far the BEST "investment" you can make. :D

bluekat
04-20-2003, 01:10 PM
yeah, get a rescue kitty! Even though some are purebred, they're still beautiful, and I'm sure they'll be very happy, and you'll be happy too, knowing that you've rescued a cat.
But if not, I'd get a Somali if I were you, I don't know why, but I just like the look of them.

AvaJoy
04-20-2003, 08:35 PM
I'd have to suggest adopting one from a rescue group or animal shelter . . . why not save a life? Usually the local PetSmart has many cats from different shelters always available . . . I fell in love with a Snowshoe but sadly did not adopt him because I have reached my maximum financially . . . :( Try PetFinders on the internet and search for your favorite breed . . . you may just find your heart's desire that way. A few years ago, before I got into TNR (trap/neuter/release) I was determined to buy a Ragdoll, but couldn't bring myself to do it . . . just seems wicked to fork out over $500.00 to a breeder for a purebred kitten, when there are SO MaNy older felines just *praying* for someone to adopt and love them! :)

The Cat Factory
04-21-2003, 12:04 AM
I'd say rescue one!! Snowshoes are great cats :D

krazyaboutkatz
04-21-2003, 12:37 AM
I agree with everyone too. Please consider adopting a rescue kitty from a shelter or from a rescue organization. There are so many that are purebreds too. This way you're not only adopting a beautiful cat but also saving a life too. :)

PayItForward
04-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Totally agree, you should go to the shelters.

Maybe search for all breeds you like at the shelters and see what you find.

cocker_luva
04-21-2003, 05:41 PM
I HAVE DISQUALIFIED THE SOMALI AND THE NEBELUNG B/C THEY NEED SPECIAL ATTENTION WITH THEIR FUR.

PLEASE VOTE FOR THE OTHER BREEDS, PLEEZ.:D :D :D

bluekat
04-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Ummmm, if you've disqualified those two, then I'd suggest a snowshoe or Austrailian Mist

Randy_K
04-24-2003, 08:35 PM
My sister got a rescue cat - a pure bred Ruddy Abyssinian who, at the time, was about six or seven years old when found wandering the street. He's sweet, gentle, even-tempered, wonderful and everything you'd expect an Aby to be.

There are rescue organizations dedicated to every breed like SABRE for Abys and Somalis. Check with Best Friends or another rescue organization in your area. My interest is Abys and Best Friends have recently placed at least four homeless Abys here in the Los Angeles area. Animals become homeless for a lot of reasons. Several of these cats were homeless as the result of their owners passing on and several found on the street. My sister's cat was rescued by Singita, an animal rescue organization run by Sherry Hackett, the comedian Buddy Hackett's wife.