PDA

View Full Version : Please help? Question on ethics?

Cookiebaker
04-20-2003, 08:59 AM
We are having the interior of our house painted all this next week, and I'm just wondering if it is proper to put food/drinks out for them? And if so, what? We don't drink beer, but should I get some to offer them, or is that taboo? :o Any thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks!

moosmom
04-20-2003, 09:07 AM
C.B.

Nope, it's not tabboo. When I moved, I fed the movers (went to Subway and got subs and stuff). If it were me, I'd serve non-alcoholic beverages.

Pam
04-20-2003, 10:12 AM
If they are going to be there all day long they may already have made plans to break for lunch somewhere close by. They may just want to 'get away' as we all do when we are working and it's lunch time. I would have something on hand to be able to share with them just in case. I would stick with non-alcoholic beverages too. It sounds like your house is getting a spring makeover. How nice! ;)

Corinna
04-20-2003, 10:12 AM
It is not required, but my hubby does hard wood floors and the guys really do apprecate it when it happens. As to beer if the state inspectors or OSA shows up they and you can be fined . Stick to soda pop. Sandwitches are usually the best and least messy.

mugsy
04-20-2003, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure they would even be allowed to drink beer on the job. I usually make Kool-Aid or Iced tea if there is a maintenance man in the area. I agree with the sandwiches and maybe some chips set out that they can munch on.

KYS
04-20-2003, 10:27 AM
I have always offered soft drinks/or bottled ice water.
(if my husband is home he will go out and get donuts.)

sasvermont
04-20-2003, 10:31 AM
I usually feed the day workers, and sometimes that is part of the deal. Painters are another story as far as I am concerned. I have never fed painters or tipped them. They usually charge such a high rate of pay that I figured it comes built in to the price. However, if you are not paying much and feel it would be a kind gesture, then by all means, please do feed or snack them!

Booze, well, I would pass on that. You don't want to get sued for someone falling off a ladder!

Painters around here get between $18-20 per hour plus paint!

:rolleyes:

Cookiebaker
04-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies!!! I feel so much better to have input on this! :) I definitely will not do beer (I wasn't real comfortable with that anyway). Since they will be here all week long (5 days) I think that I will do a pot of coffee & little donuts or danishes in the morning...and then like a pitcher of iced tea and snacks in the afternoon.

My house is in utter chaos right now because we have to pack everything up and move all the furniture. I will be *so* glad to have this over & done with!!! I hate chaos. UGGH!!

aly
04-20-2003, 11:09 AM
Hehe, if you give them beer, who knows what they'll be painting on your walls :D

My parents always fed our movers when we moved (which was like once a year). Your idea sounds good. Snacks and beverages work well instead of full meals.

Kfamr
04-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Yeah.. not sure it would be good to go with beer :p

Karen
04-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Yup, I'm sure they will appreciate it! I agree with the "no beer," as you never know when there is someone who is struggling with alocoholism in the midst, and might feel pressured by co-workers ... Non-alcoholic beverages are always safest!

jenluckenbach
04-20-2003, 12:52 PM
I think your decision of coffee/donuts and then ice tea/snacks is perfect.

popcornbird
04-20-2003, 02:15 PM
When we have people working in our house, we ALWAYS offer them something to eat. If they are here at meal time, its usually a sandwich or something and juice. If they are just working for a long while and its not meal time, we usually just give them juice or soda with cookies, cake, or some "snack." Alcoholic beverages do not enter our house, so thats a big no. lol I don't think you HAVE to do it, but if you want to, go ahead. :p

smokey the elder
04-22-2003, 04:55 PM
I think a nice nosh with some non-alcoholic beverages is a nice gesture. (It works for mill and plant trials, too! Donuts or 'za (pizza) were the universal currency.:D :p )

Vermontcat
04-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Hey Cookiebaker! You could always bake them some cookies too, after all that is your name, isn't it.;)

NoahsMommy
04-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I think your decision of coffee/donuts and then ice tea/snacks is perfect.
Me too! :) My mom always left out treats and drinks when we had people in our home doing something. Not that it should, but I think it helps in getting an extra good job done. ;)

marysmerrycats
04-22-2003, 06:44 PM
I agree with the others, sandwhiches and some chips, no alcohol.

lucky you! I wish I could get my house painted... I am making my house over, a little at a time.

good luck!:) :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
04-22-2003, 07:08 PM
I would, just cuz they're working for you maybe you could by em lunch or something...

Rachel
04-22-2003, 07:33 PM
I think having a variety of cold sodas on hand would be an option or maybe lemonade. Many times when I've offered workers in my house something, they will ask for water, so cold bottled water would work. For snacks I go with something homemade like muffins or your famous cookies. Most of the times these guys come prepared with their own lunch but appreciate a comfortable place to eat, which they usually find on their own, under a tree out on the lawn.

The people I use to do the interior painting at my house are a husband and wife team. He used to be a baker, and several times brought me home baked treats. Needless to say they are firmly ensconsed as my painters. :D :D