PDA

View Full Version : Poor Sooty....

PayItForward
04-20-2003, 08:01 AM
I know I said that three cats was our limit. But I can't stop thinking about this cat we saw at the shelter last week, when we adopted Milo.

I have written a thread before about how Sooty was brought to the shelter after his mum escaped from a domestic sitution (Though she kept her other cat !?!:confused: )

Anyway this cat is very loving and friendly but we needed a more playful cat to befriend Milly at the time, ie. Milo. I wanted to adopted them both both, but me & PaysForIt had agreed that three cats, was our limit.

So I rang the shelter back today to make sure he's got a good home. He was adopted last weekend (after we took Milo) but he's back in the shelter as of this morning !!

Sooty fell ill, so his new owners took him back to the shelter NOT to the vets. What kind of sick people are these, to wait for the weekend to return a sick pet instead of getting him treated.

I just think this is fate, I really want to give him a home and all our cats are getting on together. But I don't think I could persuade PaysForIt. I don't think we'll be able to adopt him.

Anyway, the shelter are going to let me know how things go with him and what the vets said on Tuesday. Though I have admitted it is unlikely we can take him, I still want to know what happens to him.

My heart is broken, this cat has now been abandoned twice in his short life.:(

Barbara
04-20-2003, 08:14 AM
There are a lot of persons here who would say: If there is room adn love for three, four won't be a problem. On the other hand we always were afraid to adopt a third cat as we had the feeling the balance between ours was fragile and should better not be tested.

But I understand what your heart says. And so there may be a new cat to come into your life:confused:

lailamara
04-20-2003, 08:38 AM
Oh dear ! Once you make a connection with an animal its difficult not to follow your heart. What if you promised Paysforit never to step into a shelter again. You are too soft-hearted to be hanging out in animal shelters ! See what the vet says.....draw up a contract promising never to visit a shelter again ....sign it ...have the cats put their paw marks on it ...give it to paysforit.....(with a promise to take sole responsability for litter-boxes).....if this does not work.... do you have friends who might want a kitty ?

PayItForward
04-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by lailamara
You are too soft-hearted to be hanging out in animal shelters ! See what the vet says.....draw up a contract promising never to visit a shelter again ....sign it ...have the cats put their paw marks on it ...give it to paysforit

I am too soft...Sigh
I have already promised to stay out of cat shelters, that's how we ended up with three ?

Recap
PaysForIt and me agreed to one adopt one cat (a scant six months ago). We went to our local RSPCA. Adopted our Baby Laidback George.

Then last Month we were sick of looking for a second hand car, so we went 'just to see' the cats, at the RSPCA shelter (Yeah right, that fooled neither of us) Adopted our Cute SheDevil Milly.

Milly bounced on George for two weeks. We agreed that George wasn't happy. So back to Cat Protection shelter to find a friend for Milly. Adopted our Tart Milo. and saw Sooty

PS. I am thinking of possible friends to take him. But I don't know if he's good with kids. All my local friends have young kids. But I'll keep thinking.

moosmom
04-20-2003, 09:23 AM
PayItForward,

I say GO GET HIM!!! I always thought 6 was my limit till Doogie reached out and touched his paw on my cheek. It was fate and meant to be. I never regret my decision. Everything is great here in kittyland. I couldn't have asked for a better kitty!

PayItForward
04-20-2003, 09:39 AM
If the decision was solely mine. I would be down there now.

But our cats are OUR cats not just mine, so unless I can persuade PaysForIt, I won't commit to anything. Else I'll end up with four cats and no partner !!! Also we need to know, if he'll be offered for adoption again. (Depends what the vets decides)

And all our existing cats are now co-existing nicely. I don't know if another cat may upset the balance. I don't think so but it has to be consisdered.

I am trying to look at the negatives, like extra pet insurance costs (£8 pounds a month), more cat food, vet bills.....more love, more cuddles, another warm body in the bed. Opps I went a bit of track there.

kimlovescats
04-20-2003, 10:38 AM
snicker, snicker ... sounds like my kind of reasoning!!!! :rolleyes: :D

jenluckenbach
04-20-2003, 12:39 PM
Here is a story, if it sways you, so be it. ;)

When I saw Thumper in a local shelter I knew I had to have him. But I was newly married and Hubby and I already had 2 cats (can you believe this....2 cats. hee hee)
Any way, I did not attempt to adopt him right away, I let it slide and he was adopted. 2 Weeks later he was returned. Well, needeless to say I knew this was fate, so I drag hubby to the shelter, where I already had made up my mind, I was just going through the motions, and Thumper made his presence QUITE CLEAR !!! When Charlie attempted to look at another cat, Thumper reached out through the bars of his cage and SLAPPED Charlie on the head. He came home with us and was with us for 12 WONDERFUL years. Years I would not have traded for the world. :D

End of story

one last thought: While it is true, everyone needs to stop somewhere, I think they KNOW where that is. pssst. maybe it's 4

carole
04-20-2003, 02:44 PM
i can understand where u are coming from, but oh please try to adopt sooty, it tears at my heart, as you know my boy i lost was a sooti, is he jet black, did you find out what made him ill, fancy just taking him back, hope they dont get another cat, they dont deserve one, well good luck pursuading your partner, i am sure you can do it, please keep us posted about sooty. thanks

carole
04-20-2003, 02:47 PM
i had to do some pursuading here too to get my cats, first ash, and because of my allergy, my husband was not keen, and then sooty, well lexie was not hard, as he saw how broken-hearted i was when he died, but he was worried if anything happens to lexie how i will be, but thats the risk you have to take, i would have more but financially thats all we can afford, sometimes its a struggle , but well worth it. good luck, i sending positive vibes over there, so your partner can feel them, and say YES YES YES lol

ChrisH
04-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Poor Sooty :( I hope and pray that (if you can`t have him) he finds his forever home very, very soon.

My Ebby was abandoned once, adopted, then given back to the shelter also. She was first abandoned last May when she was having kittens (she had three) and then was adopted at the end of July. She was brought back to the shelter in October, her new owner was moving abroad - or to another part of the country, the story is a bit hazy - and she said she couldn`t take Ebby with her.

Please keep us updated about Sooty, thanks.

Christine

PayItForward
04-20-2003, 04:47 PM
The shelter is ringing me tuesday afternoon, I'll post an update then.

Ps. Yes, he is jet black with big green eyes.

krazyaboutkatz
04-20-2003, 05:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Sooty was returned to the shelter because he was sick. :( When I adopted Storm from a shelter, he was also sick and I spent about $200 on him to get him back in shape. This allowed us to form a very strong bond. He's been a very healthy cat ever since. Unfortunately many cats at Shelters are sick or have other things wrong with them.

I sure hope that you're able to adopt Sooty or at least help him find a new forever home. Good luck. :)

Uabassoon
04-21-2003, 12:48 AM
I hope Sooty is able to find a forever home (maybe you). I hate it when people return cats. My cat Corkscrew was adopted, then given to a friend, then given to someone else, then back to the friend, then to me before he found his forever home. It took him almost a year to love and trust me, and even though Corkscrew doesn't like people he lets me know that he loves me very much, and to me it means so much because we have such a special bond.

carole
04-21-2003, 02:27 PM
george and milly are so cute, if you adopt sooty (oh i do hope you can) you will have a george lookalike, reminds my of my sooti so much, sob sob, fingers and paws crossed, we are sending more of those vibes to your partner is it working yet? lol

PaysForIt
04-21-2003, 02:35 PM
*sigh*

PayItForward
04-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Mmm.. Hopeing a *sigh* is a good sign !!:D :D

carole
04-21-2003, 03:04 PM
pretty pretty pretty plz take little sooty, sending more positve vibes your way, sending them now, here they come lol:) ;) ;)

jenluckenbach
04-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by PaysForIt
*sigh*
:D :D :D :D