PDA

View Full Version : The worst thing that could ever happen.....

07-12-2001, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone,

I never ever wanted to post a topic on this subject but today I must...however, I don't even want to be on this site today. Looking at these faces makes it worse... Please, don't hate me. I'm scared to tell you all this and my husband didn't want me to put this up here for the world to read. He is afraid of the hate mail I might get...but I guess I would deserve it.

On my way to work this morning I hit a dog...hard. I was on a busy 6 lane street (3 each way) and was in the middle lane. There was a mini-van next to me and all of a sudden I saw him drop back and hit his horn, that's when I saw the little dog. He was so hard to see. Usually I am good at seeing them. Maddie is a perfect example! She is black and I saw her on a dark street at night!

The dog was standing on the edge of the left lane towards the middle lane and as soon as the van honked the dog got scared and he turned right towards the front of my car but it was too late. The speed limit on that road is 45 and I was going about 50. It was totally my fault. I just didn't see him until it was too late. When I hit the dog I lost control of my car and swerved over all 3 lanes of traffic...the worst thing is I didn't stop. I didn't know what to do and I couldn't look. I was already sick to my stomach and balling my eyes out and it was a busy street. I couldn't just stop. So, I decided to just get to work so I could call the police and tell them what happened.

Then this car comes speeding up behind me and all of a sudden this woman leans out the passenger side window screaming her head off at me. She kept calling me a bitch and then yelled "you blonde whore!" at me.. (sorry for the bad language.)I was stunned! It wasn't bad enough that I hit the poor dog, but to have her completely go off on me as her boyfriend/husband is driving just made me sick to my stomach. I was shaking so bad I could barely drive. If there was a hole I would have crawled into it and never come out.

I should have stopped, I should have seen the dog...and I can't change a thing. I am prepared for some harsh words - I hate myself for this.... I guess I just wanted to fess up about it. I might end up regreting this though....

Tanya&Fritz
07-12-2001, 10:41 AM
It's not your fault. Please don't blame yourself. The dog shouldn't have been loose near a busy street. I know it must be devastating but don't be too hard on yourself. The dog was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Stenograsaurus
07-12-2001, 10:50 AM
Angel,
Don't be too hard on yourself. Accidents are called accidents for a reason. Hindsight is 20/20. Looking back you saw things you should have done (stopping) but at that time you were not thinking straight. You were traumatized. I cannot honestly say what I would have done in your shoes. I might have done the same thing. Who knows. I cetainly don't have a right to judge you. I am not perfect and I will not think any less of you for what you did, nor should anyone else. The woman screaming at you sounds like she is very immature and I wouldn't let her bother you. Just consider the source. Now, as hard as it might be, try to put this behind you and move on. You can't change the past. You can only learn from your mistakes and move on.

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Stenograsaurus ]

jackiesdaisy1935
07-12-2001, 10:56 AM
Oh Angel, please, please don't blame yourself it could happen to anyone. If anyone is to blame it is the person to whom the dog belongs for not properly taking care of it. We all know how much you love dogs and in that situation anyone would panic, I'm sure I would. It's punishment enough to relive something like that in your mind, please try not to keep blaming yourself. It was an accident.
As far as that woman who yelled at you, consider her one of the crazies!
We were leaving for Hawaii the next day and my husband was backing up the car in our yard and he hit our little Doxie, Maggie, we rushed her to the Vet but there was nothing he could do, it was an accident in our own yard. It was horrible, our daughter was so upset. Those things happen, sometimes we have no control over those kind of circumstances. Please, Please, don't blame yourself, It is hard to do but remember it was an ACCIDENT.
Jackie

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: jackiesdaisy1935 ]

RachelJ
07-12-2001, 12:06 PM
Angel, please don't go through second guessing yourself. It was not your fault hitting the dog and on a six lane highway, I really doubt that you could have safely stopped and done anything. You could have been injured or killed yourself had you tried that. When you are driving you have to make snap judgements about what you can do or can't do. I doubt that driving 5 miles an hour slower would have changed what happened and my guess is that had you not hit the poor animal, someone else would have. It was just in the wrong place. I really feel this way, Angel. I am not just saying this because you are one of us.

07-12-2001, 12:21 PM
Thank you so much everyone. I finally stopped crying (everyone at work was probably wondering on earth was wrong with me :eek: )

Every single second is constantly being replayed in my head so I am trying to just dive into work to get it off my mind. When I got here and called my husband to tell him I asked him to call the police for me because I could barely speak. I told him to give them my plate number and description of my car but they didn't want it I guess. It's not a crime... to them anyway :( The bad thing is that I have a personal plate so anyone who saw this this morning or sees me driving to work on some days will now know me and what I did. I always see the same people driving to work... that stinks. Guess I will find a new route.

What a nightmare. But, thanks to you guys I feel a little better. But, I did start crying again because you are all being so kind! Who would have ever thought you could find such loving people and companionship without ever meeting them face to face?

Spencer: I do live in Phoenix (well Mesa) and the growth IS unbelievable. Traffic is pretty bad but they are doing things about it...by building freeways and adding lanes to them.

AdoreMyDogs
07-12-2001, 01:14 PM
Angel, how on earth could you think we would hate you for this most unfortunate accident? As Rachel said, you are one of us...we are all friends and we are hear for each other...especially in our times of greatest need. I am so very sorry, from the bottom of my heart, that you had to be the one to hit that dog. Everything happens for a reason, and although it may be hard to see the reason in this, if nothing more, it was to help you be brave and to help you be strong. And you never know the way God works, but maybe the person that would have hit the dog instead of you would not have been so lucky, skidded out, hit another car and killed multuple passangers....you just can't tell. Maybe the reason God chose you to hit that dog was because you were the strongest person around, and God knew you would be stronger and be able to handle it the best out of all of those drivers on that road at that time. It was not your fault. It was going to happen, whether it was you or someone else.

The woman who was screaming at you probablly felt some strong emotions and did not know how to express them, and getting angry was her way of getting rid of emotions. I think that woman has some major issues to work through, when someone should react with sadness and instead they blow up with anger, they have issues. I know it is hard, but please don't take offense to that womans outburst...I strongly feel that she has some major emotional problems.

Angel, we all have things we are ashamed of, whether or not we were at fault. 2 weeks ago I saw a pit bull mix running on the left hand shoulder of a freeway that has a speed limit of 65 but people fly on this freeway at 70-80MPH. I saw the dog too late, I could not swerve to the shoulder soon enough to rescue that dog off the freeway, my safety would have been at stake, and plus I had Graham in the car and I could not risk a major dog fight in my car...so I passed the dog leaving him/her to get hit. Yes I feel terrible, but I can't do anything about it now. I chose to pass that dog and that's what I did. I decided that I could not risk a serious car accident because I skidded to a halt to swerve onto a shoulder from doing 65-70 MPH. I am sure that dog got hit but it was not my fault, nor was it the fault of the person that probablly hit it.

Please don't beat yourself up, you are a kind, gentle animal lover and you should never forget that or doubt yourself. We are all here for you, don't worry about that.
It's absolutely not your fault.

aly
07-12-2001, 01:21 PM
Angel, I couldn't read your whole post. I only read a few sentences because I am way too emotional to read things that might have a sad ending. BUT DO NOT BLAME YOURSELF! Everyone here knows what a sweet dog loving peson you are. And we all know how awful you must feel but try to remember that it was just a wrong place at the wrong time kind of thing. Stuff like that happens and no one can help it. Please don't feel so bad. I know I'd feel the exact same way as you but just try to feel better if you can. Everyone here supports you.

sammi
07-12-2001, 02:50 PM
So sorry for you. Please listen to what the others have said and don't blame yourself or feel guilty - guilt can take its toll on a person. I don't think most people would know how they would react. I doubt if you could have stopped in 6 lanes of traffic without getting hit yourself. If you have trouble trying to forgive yourself do something anonymous for other pets to help them (donate some toys or treats to your local animal shelter). We are all pet lovers here and things sometimes just happen that we don't understand and what happened to you this morning is what every pet lover dreads happening to them so we have no reason to be mad. The lady that yelled at you either has a major problem or maybe she juat over reacted. Some years ago I had a dog that got hit by a car and I felt really bitter toward the person who was driving for awhile. I had no reason to be bitter except I was hurting inside. Will be thinking about you and pray for you.

wolflady
07-12-2001, 03:23 PM
Angel, so sorry to hear about the accident! I know how traumatizing it can be, but nobody here blames you. We all love animals, and it's unfortunate when something like this happens. Believe me!! When I was in college, I was driving home and I hit an oppossum. It was dark, I didn't see the poor little guy in time and when I did...there were cars all around me so I couldn't move or get out of the way. If I had I would have caused a major accident and could have injured myself or other drivers and passengers. I cried all the way home that night and was so traumatized by it because I always used to feel anger against people that would hit animals on purpose (there were people in my hometown that did these kinds of horrendous things). However, this was an accident and there was nothing that I, or you could do in that moment in time. I agree that the lady that was yelling obsenities out the window must have some major issues, so don't let rude people get to you. You are a sweet kind hearted animal loving person and it's unfortunate that it had to be you behind the wheel. Give your babies and extra hug, and don't beat yourself up over it, girl!! Things will get better. Lots of *hugs* from me and my babies. We're thinking about you :)

Sudilar
07-12-2001, 03:39 PM
Angel, I agree with everyone else. It was an ACCIDENT. You wouldn't have hit the dog, if you could have helped it! There was nothing you could have done. It ran out in front of you. You, yourself, could have been hurt. There was traffic out and I am familiar with the high speed roads in AZ. That woman was just emotional. She doesn't know how much you love animals. You are not at fault here. Where were the dog's owners?
Take care!
Sue

07-12-2001, 04:12 PM
Oh my goodness. You are all so incredible. I wish I could meet each and every one of you and give you a hug. Thank you so much for understanding. I started crying again when I read through your responses. When it happened the first thing I thought of was calling my husband (he is always so sweet) and then telling you all.

I guess I was looking for reassurance. That woman really made me feel awful about not stopping. So, thank you all for helping me deal with this. Believe it or not you have all helped me get through my day. Now I just want to go home and sleep:! Crying really makes me tired.... I leave work in a couple of hours and I feel really creepy about getting in the car. But I have to do it.

One thing that has been going thru my mind all day is why was I chosen to have this happen. I'm not trying to say "why me" or anything...I guess I'm just curious as to why this happened to someone who loves animals - ALL animals - soooooo much. So, I know there must be a reason for it. Someday I will know why. I saved one dog from that fate and brought her into my home and I took another dog's life..... doesn't sound very fair does it?

I did think about volunteering at a shelter and such and making it my life's mission to save every stray I find! My husband won't like the latter of the two.... :eek:

Thanks again everyone...your words really helped me.

jackiesdaisy1935
07-12-2001, 05:03 PM
Angel, we are all tested every day in one way or another. Maybe this was the day that dog was to cross the Rainbow bridge and you were chosen to test your love of animals and to see how strong you could be under the worse of conditions. One has to be very strong to understand there was nothing you could do to stop that accident and to get on with your life. Go home and give Lexi, Sasha and Maddie a big hug and lots of kisses.
Remember what your signature says
"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
We all send lots of Daisy and Perry kisses
Jackie

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: jackiesdaisy1935 ]

shais_mom
07-12-2001, 09:18 PM
I agree with everyone else, there was no way to prevent it. And as much as we are all animal lovers it would have been more devastating to us had you hurt yourself in the accident.
A friend of my sister's several years ago totalled her car by swerving to miss a big dog and she had a little Dodge Daytona, BUT she and her passenger were very injured, the passenger had to have extensive plastic suregery due to scars on her face and I think Renee' broke her wrist. My dad has always preached to me not to swerve unless its something big like a deer, horse, cow(which he hit while driving the semi once :eek: )
Of course, I still slow down for a bunny or cat. If you were on a busy 6 lane road, and tried to swerve to miss the dog, you could have killed or hurt yourself, or someone else. And I agree with Chuck, that lady must have been talking about herself!!! She probably wasn't even mad about the dog probably b/c you acted like you were going to stop.
If anyone sends you hate mail, forward it to us and we will deal with it!!! :mad:
And Its not the worst thing that could have happened, the worst thing would have been had something happened to you!!!!

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: shais_mom ]

Pam
07-12-2001, 09:43 PM
Staci is absolutely right. The worst thing that could have happened would be if something happened to you! Things happen quickly and accidents happen. I know how badly and shaken you must have felt, but there was really nothing you could do. I ran over a squirrel one day. I was hoping that I missed him and as I drove past I looked out my rear view mirror and he was twitching in the road. I felt absolutely horrible! I was on my way to work and it really bothered me for the longest time. Just yesterday a cat ran out in front of me on a country road. Fortunately he was far enough ahead of me that I was able to brake and miss him. I have to say the first thought I had, after the initial relief that I missed him, was "why was he running loose?" I know this is a hot topic among cat people (whether or not to have inside or outside cats). My conviction is "an inside pet is a safe pet." Anyway, time to get off my soapbox and remind you that you are human and these things happen. Try not to let it get to you.

purrfectpaws
07-12-2001, 10:05 PM
Hi Angel,
Carla here in NH and I too am very sorry about that. I cringe when I see animals that have gotten hit in the road and my husband knows how I feel about that. It may be a squirrel or a raccoon or whatever it may be and my heart saddens. My lips curve down and I have a sad pouty look on my face because I don't want them to be dead. On my way home from work one night, when I lived in Las Vegas, I came upon a dog that had been hit and killed. It was a tan Cocker Spaniel and I pulled over and picked him up with a king size pillow case that happened to be in my trunk and placed him on the side of the road, I covered him with the pillow case. I called the city to let them know where the dog was. I was crying sooo bad for the rest of the ride home. I felt so bad and then I thought of how someone would be missing their dog and not even know that it was dead. Oh, my heart hurts right now thinking of that dog. Angel, these things happen and there was nothing that you could do, so just remember that. :)

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: purrfectpaws ]

Logan
07-12-2001, 10:37 PM
Angel,
I simply did not know what words to say earlier to make you feel better. I would have reacted the exact same way you did. And everyone here has said just the right thing, like they always do.

Isn't it wonderful to have such a loving community?

I hope your Friday is a good one. I'm sure anything will be an improvement on this day. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. And I'm extra happy that you have such a sweet, supportive husband, as many of the folks on this board do.

Logan

Karen
07-12-2001, 11:01 PM
Angel, you know in your heart that we are right, it was an accident. My only suggestion would be that you write a note to the owners of the dog apologizing for the loss of their dog (without bringing up his being loose, we cannot know why that was), and tell them how awful you honestly feel, so that they know it was indeed an acident, and that it wasn't someone who hit the dog on purpose. You can give the note in a sealed envelope to the police department or animal control, so that if anyone comes forward, they can hand them the note, or if they won't do this, ask for the owners name and address so you can send the note to them. Include, if you can get up the courage to do this, a copy of the Rainbow Bridge poem, and a note of condolence, if you will, from the Pet Talk community. Don't feel you have to sign the note, just let them know it WAS an accident, and that you are sorry.

Don't feel you must take my suggestion, or that anyone here will think any less of you either way.

Chin up, be brave, and hug a dog every day.

shipugtzus
07-12-2001, 11:32 PM
PLEASE...DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF !!!!!!!1
Accidents happen,we all have experienced that.It is not your fault.I do not care how careful you are,sometimes these lovable creatures are just to quick,and there is nothing you can do.Especially when you are in traffic.It was nobody's fault,it just happened.It could have happened to any of us.I know how you feel and it hurts,but you can't dwellon it.Keep your chin up,your still a wonderful Doggiemom!!!!!!...Sandy

07-12-2001, 11:35 PM
Karen you are so right. I kept thinking of things I could do today to let the possible owners know what happened. I contemplated calling radio stations or writing an editorial to the paper or something. I especially wanted to say a few words the that woman who thought she had the right to rip me apart. This is why I wanted my husband to let the police know my plate number so they could contact me if need be.

I think I will write up something and get it out - Hopefully someone will come forward. My worst fear is that this poor animal was a long-time stray and no one really misses him or her. But, even though I never knew this dog, I miss him and I know he is in a better place.

Thank you for your suggestion and thank you again to everyone. I cannot stress my gratitude enough.

The best thing to happen today was my husband's reaction to all of your kind words. Remember, he didn't want me to post this. He was afraid I would be ridiculed. I assured him you were all much better people than that. See, I have a lot more faith and trust in people than he does... I just hope it doesn't burn me someday. Anyway, when he read your thoughts and kind words he had tears in his eyes and was very glad that I shared this with you all. He couldn't believe the support I have received.

So, thank you for that. Thank you for proving me right; That this world IS filled with amazing and loving people.

P.S - I have a little surprise coming on the web page I have made. I hope you all like it. I will post the link as soon as it's finished.

KYS
07-12-2001, 11:42 PM
I also agree with everyones posts.

Karen,
That is an excellent idea, so the
healing process can begin on both sides.

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: KYS ]

Pam
07-13-2001, 08:52 AM
Beautifully put Spencer!!

Gio
07-13-2001, 09:59 AM
I only read your post today. I agree with everyone else it was just an accident, don't blame yourself (even though if it happened to me I would be just as devastated as you).

On a busy road like that it is very dangerous to stop, I'm sure that if the circumstantes would have been different you would have done so. Not only, but you did everything you could: you alerted the police and were willing to leave your details. You have done so much more than a lot of people would have done.

Please take care of yourself, you will get over it.

Daisy's Mom
07-13-2001, 10:43 PM
I am so sorry about the accident! I just read it today and I hope I am not posting too late and bringing back bad thoughts. I just wanted to ask you to please not blame yourself, and DO NOT do those awful "I should have"s. Those are bad. I was just talking to my best friend today about the death of one of our friends, Dan. He was killed in Febuary when his car slipped on black ice. He was a wonderful kid, and only 18. Beleive it or not, she blames herself for his death! She was going to invite him on a vacation but decided not to at the last minute. She said if he had gone, he wouldn't have been driving on that road here and wouldn't have hit that ice. Doesn't that sound awful? It wasn't her fault and it most certainly wasn't your fault that you hit that dog. You are a wonderful, compassionate, animal-loving person and we know it, and you should know it too. I know how awful you feel. When my best friend and I were driving one day on a very busy road, a bird flew right into our windshield. We could tell by the way it fell limp to the road that it was dead, but we pulled over right away. This road is like a highway so we were unable to get to see the bird, but we were crying and shaking. We said a little prayer for him and left. You just have to get over it and know it wasn't your fault. The dog knows that and so does God. And we know it, and we love you! I hope you are feeling better!

tatsxxx11
07-14-2001, 08:21 AM
Angel, I agree with EVERYONE!!! Please do not blame yourself. I know how devastated you must feel; but it WAS an accident. On a road such as that, it would have been incredibly dangerous for you, as well as for others, to stop. You did all the right things at the right time. More than most would ever do. Being the wonderfully loving and caring person that you are, that we all know you are Angel, is what makes it so painful for you. If you were not the beautiful, compassionate person that we all know and love, you would not be feeling such sadness. But think of Spencer's words....and remember, character is what you are, how you act, when no one is looking. You know deep down in your heart you would never intentionally hurt a living creature; it truly was an unavoidable accident. Time WILL soften the pain. We all support you 100% Angel. You are our family. When one of our own hurts, we all do.

Eudora
07-14-2001, 09:46 AM
Angel, don't blame yourself!! It isn't. your. fault!!! You get any hate mail, girl, pass it to me and see what that idiot gets!! :mad:
Anyway, we're all here for you. Accidents happen. That dog, well maybe it was just time for it to go. Take your time to grieve and then go on with life. I was involved in an animal accident and I actually fainted! So, it's OK. Cry as much as you need to. We all understand. :)

Eudora
07-14-2001, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
<STRONG>Angel,

Believe it or not, there is still more to say...

Character: How a person really is. This is best revealed in private and/ or with strangers.

Examples of character include:
- At an isolated country intersection, stoping even though there is no one to issue a ticket.
- Even when a customer or client is leaving, still treating them well.
- The kinds of things you surf for on the net.
- They way strangers are treated.

Many people are at their ruddest when they think they are anynomous - on the phone, posting e-mail, and yes, on the road.

To sum up the unfortunate traffic incident Thursday:

- You felt for another (the dog).
- She (the abusive woman) felt for herself.
- You felt grief.
- She felt rage.
- You wished the dog life.
- She wished you ill.
- You had compassion.
- She had indifference and unbridled anger. Which is the opposite of love? Does it matter?
- You could not have prevented the accident.
- She could have prevented her actions.
- You asked for help.
- She needs help.</STRONG>

Wonderful, Spencer!I wouldn't have looked at it so calmly. Just read my previous post. *hehe* :D

07-14-2001, 01:38 PM
Just when I thought your words couldn't be anymore supportive and beautiful I was proven wrong. Thank you so much Eudora, Sandra and Bridget. Spencer, your insight is incredible. You are so right, it is how you act when you think no one is looking that matters. We had a sermon at church about this. It makes you think....

Things are better and I am getting over it. I have been able to joke about "that woman" but I still have the whole image of every second replaying in my head. Sometimes I just flinch and I dwell on it again. I try not to think badly of that woman but it's hard. Something my husband told me a few years ago just echos in my head and really helps me deal with people on a daily basis....

You know when you are driving and someone cuts you off on accident or does something stupid and it upsets you...well, he told me that maybe you just caught them on a bad day. Maybe they are very compitent people and just made a mistake that you happen to see. You can call them names and get upset but you have only encountered them for that moment in time. So, don't judge people for things like that. We all make mistakes.

I am applying this thought to what happened Thursday. She and I encountered each other at a very bad moment in time. I won't judge her and she shouldn't have judged me. It was traumatic for both of us.... end of story.

Thanks for being supportive. I think of this board as a big part of my life and you all make it a much happier place. I enjoy your insight and advice and I truly believe that you have all contributed to me trying to be a better person. It seems like I have some pretty big shoes to follow in :)

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: doggiemom ]

tatsxxx11
07-14-2001, 06:23 PM
Dear Angel....I hope you sleep a little better tonight. Hold tight to your precious babies, Maddie, Sasha and Lexi...And your very special husband. We all love you... Sandra

jackiesdaisy1935
07-14-2001, 09:24 PM
Angel, I think your husband has the right idea, good for him. Take care of yourself and try to think good thoughts.
Jackie

Dixie Belle
07-14-2001, 10:16 PM
Angel, I am so sorry to hear this happened! But it was an accident, and you should not blame yourself. As for the woman, she apparently did not see what happened! I would not worry about her. Try to cheer up, and do not blame yourself...it could have happened to anyone. Our thoughts are with you....

07-15-2001, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
<STRONG>Angel,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a story about a Lab surviving an I17 crossing (http://petoftheday.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=000163). I know that is also in the Phoenix area. This leads to the question: are more dogs running loose in the Phoenix area? In case anyone thinks I'm bashing, the area around Dallas leads the nation in rabies, Denton county to the north until surpassed this year by Ellis county to the south.

Maybe your webpage could have links encouraging dog owners to keep their pets from roaming, plus tagging them in case they are on the lamb. Just an idea...</STRONG>

Spencer, as usual, your insight is great. I have made plans to include all sorts of links about animals on my page. You have just added some more ideas so thank you!

If ANYONE has some links that they would like to share please let me know... I want to include links regarding adoption, the importance of i.d's, health, puppy mills and so on. Send me your ideas! We will make this page the best- together! If this keeps growing I just might register my own domain for this page :)

Eudora
07-16-2001, 09:14 AM
Angel, you're welcome! Feel free to ask any time you need help... hope you sleep easier tonight... and you'll have a chance to apologise to the dog someday...

POOH267
07-16-2001, 04:51 PM
DON'T WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.....TRUE ANIMAL PEOPLE WILL KNOW IN THEIR HEARTS THAT YOU DIDN'T MEAN IT AND MORE IMPORTANTLY...YOU KNOW YOU DIDN'T MEAN IT...YOU DIDN'T DO IT ON PURPOSE...ACCIDENTS HAPPEN...THAT'S PART OF BEING HUMAN....IF IT WASN'T YOU THAT HIT HIM...IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SOMEBODY ELSE...HE WAS IN A VERY BAD PLACE FOR A DOG TO BE AT THAT TIME OF DAY OR ANY TIME OF DAY...STOP BEATING UP ON YOURSELF...IT CAN'T BE UNDONE...AND YOU CAN APOLOGIZE TO THE CANINE AT RAINBOW BRIDGE...SORRY YOU'RE GOING THROUGH THIS....I HOPE IT PASSES SOON... :o

BayleeBoo
07-20-2001, 03:14 PM
I don't believe in consequences. I think that happened for a purpose. If you hadn't of hit that little dog someone probably would have in the long run. Don't feel guilty or expect revile words, because we have all done something wrong in life, things that we just can't change. Try and move on, but also learn from your mistakes. Best of luck in the future. Just think, the dog is in heaven now.

07-20-2001, 04:11 PM
Thank you Bayleeboo. Welcome to Pet Talk. This is a fantastic board with amazing people and a combined heart the size of Texas!

I have definitely learned from my mistakes. The one thing I can take comfort in is that since I was the unlucky one that was chosen to hit him, I know I was the best choice. That may sound bad but I think you all understand what I mean. I didn't just hit him and forget it. I created a place in my heart for this dog and have a bigger heart than ever because of this incident. It has lead me to apply to be a volunteer at a local shelter which I have wanted to do for a long time... this just really made me do it.

I don't want to sound too mushy or cheesy but this whole thing really made me feel even more love for animals and has created a HUGE desire to volunteer to help animals AND people! I mentioned in another post that I am applying for Big Brothers/Big Sisters too. It will feel so great to be a Big Sister to some child and help out at a shelter a few times a month. I guess I want the fulfillment that Aly gets - not to mention all the wet kisses and happy faces she gets to see!

Thanks again for your kind words :)

purrfectpaws
07-20-2001, 07:46 PM
Angel...you really are a sweet person and you sound like you have a heart of gold. God really blessed us for having you in our group in Pet Talk :) I would love to volunteer some of my time but I always feel like it would break my heart and the pain would be too great. I know that I would be doing myself and the animals a great service. You truley seem so sincere and I think that I speak for everyone when I say "thank you for being you". I look forward to going to some of the doggie parks and getting to know you and your fur-friends. :D Angel, this may be your calling in life and it just had to give you a little nibble to get you going.

07-20-2001, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by purrfectpaws:
<STRONG>Angel...you really are a sweet person and you sound like you have a heart of gold. God really blessed us for having you in our group in Pet Talk :) I would love to volunteer some of my time but I always feel like it would break my heart and the pain would be too great. I know that I would be doing myself and the animals a great service. You truley seem so sincere and I think that I speak for everyone when I say "thank you for being you". I look forward to going to some of the doggie parks and getting to know you and your fur-friends. :D Angel, this may be your calling in life and it just had to give you a little nibble to get you going.</STRONG>

Carla, thank you :D! That was really sweet. I have some expectations to live up to now.. ;) Once you get here (Which I can't wait for :D!) the security blanket will be lifted.... :) But seriously, thank you. I'm sure you are a great person and I cannot wait to meet you!

I have to warn you though, I am a total spaz. Basically I am a complete goofball. That just means I love to laugh and probably think I am funnier than I really am. Just want to warn you :D!

When will you be here? I know you said October..do you have definite plans?