PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Litter Box? Is the Roll-Away (tm) any good?

DarwinIsMyLittleBuddie
04-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Hi,

I've had Darwin now for a couple of months (I adopted him from a shelter just after christmas) and its be wonderful ever since.

However, keeping his litter box clean is a daily challenge for me :( . I have problems mostly with tracking and spraying (Darwin is a very enthusiastic digger)! I would like to try a covered box and I've switched to a low-track litter (which is a slight improvement).

I've been thinking of trying this roll away litter box http://www.omegapaw.com/Rollaway.html ... has anyone had any good or bad experience with it? Or any other suggestions or comments that have worked well for you? Thanks and have a great day.

Love,
Anne :confused: and Darwin :D
http://www.lara.on.ca/~anne/Darwin/darwinart.jpg

moosmom
04-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Anne,

I have 7 cats and all my litterboxes are covered. My oldest cat, Mollie Rose (9 yrs) digs to China when she uses the box. It DOES cut down on the litter flying. As far as dust and tracking, I use Premium Scoopable Cat Litter. It's 99% dust free.

I've been looking at the Rolling litterbox and want one. The only problem is there are 2 sizes - regular and large. The regular one doesn't have alot of room inside. The large one does. Unfortunately, all the pet stores carry the regular size :mad:

Good luck!

boscibo
04-19-2003, 02:27 PM
I have the large rollaway, I got the Large size at Target. I like it, but you have to roll everyday or else it can get clogged up. And you need room along side the box to roll it, a foot or two will do.

My other cats prefer clay litter, or else I'd buy more of the roll away kind.

The Cat Factory
04-19-2003, 07:44 PM
I have a Roll Away litterbox, I got it brand new for 10 dollars at a garage sale :D

jenluckenbach
04-19-2003, 08:10 PM
I just use regular covered litter boxes. I got my first covered box because I had a cat that even though he used the box, he would not squat, so the urine stream was always on the wall. With the cover, it would hit the lid and drip into the box. And litter doesn't usually get dug out of the box, only tracked out on paws. And I use carpets andd other forms of litter catchers at the entrances.

moosmom
04-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Boscibo,

Target huh?? I'll have to check it out. I'm starting to replace my litterboxes one at a time. No one that I know of (pet stores that is) carries the larger size Rollaway.

AmberLee
04-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Hmmm, looks interesting. They are on special right now at Drs. Foster and Smith (or whatever, I always get their name wrong...)

Must think about this, quickly!

moosmom
04-19-2003, 10:02 PM
AmberLee,

I just got that catalog too. I threw it out :( Do you remember how much the large one was??

krazyaboutkatz
04-19-2003, 10:32 PM
I just use two covered litter boxes. One is large and the other is the giant size. All 3 of my boys also love to dig so this helps a lot. I also have litter catchers in front of each box but Sunny and Cirrus will sometimes leap over these and get litter on the carpet. Oh well thats what the vacuum cleaner is for. :)

krazyaboutkatz
04-19-2003, 10:43 PM
Donna, here's the link to Doctors Foster and Smith. This tells about the roll away litter box. Here's the link http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=1&pCatId=788. I hope this helps. :)

DarwinIsMyLittleBuddie
04-20-2003, 07:52 AM
Well, I picked one up for Darwin yesterday! Luckly, he's very tolerant of me experimenting with stuff ... and he actually used it last night (phew!) despite the fact that he's never used a covered litter box and this box is quite different from anything he's had in the past!

Since I only have the one cat, I thought I'd get the regular size. My pet store has both sizes set up and the large is well ... quite large and I have a very small appartment, so I don't really have the room for the large box. However, I was concerned about the claustrophobic space the Roll-Away has for him to ... well, you know do what cats do in litter boxes :p !!! The sifting and disposal mechanism does take up a lot of space in the box FYI (I'd say a little less than about half of the overall box).

However, so far so good! I LOVE HOW EASY IT IS TO CLEAN :D !!! One roll and you are done! The other nice thing I like about it is that you can take the little drawer-thing that comes with it and dump the waste directly into the garbage ... where-as before I forever had to get little baggies to scoop into which I would then put into the garbage.

Other initial observations ... if you have a small place like I do ... you will need to make sure you have enough room next to the box to be able to roll it. I also think that the better your litter clumps the better this product will work (clumps don't break up into little bits that don't sift out when you roll). Right now I have a "low track" formula which I think probably sacrifices some clumping power for less tracking and I think I will try a "regular" to see if its an improvement ... but as is I'm quite happy with it as is. I'll let you know if something comes up that I don't like ...

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I think I will like this one ... its a keeper!!

Happy Easter
Anne :confused: & Darwin :D

carole
04-20-2003, 02:57 PM
what a fab idea, never seen those rollaway ones in nz, just the covered ones, i think i will invest in one of those, because there is just too much dust with the cat litter i use, do you think its easy to tranform from an open one to a covered one, do most cats not mind the change.