PDA

View Full Version : Saddam in '91

iceyshiver21
04-18-2003, 12:14 PM
What excactly happened with saddam in '91......

RICHARD
04-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by iceyshiver21
What excactly happened with saddam in '91......

besides getting his butt kicked once before???

he tried to take over Kuwait.
he invaded the country under the pretense that it was
a land that once belonged to iraq. (my history is fuzzy on this one-
there was land that was parceled al long time ago- later they
became countries-he was under the impression he could waltz in an take it over)
his army killed tortured and maimed quite a few people in Kuwait...

well,
A bunch of countries got together and kicked him out of Kuwait.
(GW's dad was the pres at that time!) that makes the score
BUSH (dad and son) 2, saddam 0.

while pulling out of Kuwait saddam blew up oil wells and opened up valves to pipelines to flood the Gulf with oil.

that's it in a nutshell, i am sure someone else can give you more and better information!!

Edwina's Secretary
04-22-2003, 01:50 PM
You left out the part where the US abassador to Iraq informed the Iraqi government that we didn't care if they invaded Kuwait...then change directions.....

RICHARD
04-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
You left out the part where the US abassador to Iraq informed the Iraqi government that we didn't care if they invaded Kuwait...then change directions.....

correct!

that was a new law that the US put into effect upon GB SR's
election it read thusly.

Any U.S. ambassador can set a political precedence (or give permission to any foreign power to invade any other country as
they see fit.) without regard to what the boss says. Any 'oopsie'
shall be deemed a mulligan, teed up from the women's tee box and replayed without penalty to the player.

babolaypo65
04-22-2003, 03:12 PM
Right, and technically our aim in '91 was just to remove Iraq from Kuwait, NOT (as some felt it should be) to remove Hussein from Iraq. Cheney, as I've heard recently, was one of the folks who felt strongly that that should have happened in '91.

iceyshiver21
04-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Thats what brought this question about......I kept hearing about people refering to '91 and so I started to do some research....

RICHARD
04-22-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by iceyshiver21
Thats what brought this question about......I kept hearing about people refering to '91 and so I started to do some research....

i was born in 98, so i have no knowledge of that war.;)

let us know what you get and what you think.

ES is right about that US ambassador meeting..

jonza
05-06-2003, 12:37 PM
As I understand it, the real reason Saddam invaded Kuwait was because Iraq owed Kuwait an awful lot of money and wouldn’t pay it back. They then sold the debt to some international banks, giving Saddam a BIG problem and infuriating him so much that he just had to put them in their place.
Luckily it didn’t work, though I’m not too keen on Kuwaits lack of a democratic or free society either.

john