PDA

View Full Version : Nashville Man Arrested after saving dog

Sevens
04-18-2003, 07:21 AM
I saw video this morning on the Today show about a man saving his dog from a burning apartment building and then being led away in handcuffs by the police. He was arrested for disorderly conduct and reckless endangerment. It happened in Nashville, TN.

Here is the link:
http://tennessean.com/government/archives/03/04/31730843.shtml?Element_ID=31730843

I read the article and I can see from both sides of the issue...why the guy felt it necessary to climb up the balcony, break the window and save the dog's life and also why the police arrested him.

Still, if it were me, I think I would have done the same as the man did if I was in the same situation. Bailey is my dog, but she's also like a child to me and is my responsibility to keep her happy, safe and alive. I wouldn't care if I was arrested or not.

What do you think about what the police did?

Tom&Pam
04-18-2003, 10:28 AM
I could not stand by and do nothing, whatever the cost. My dog is my "baby".

lv4dogs
04-18-2003, 10:44 AM
My boyfriend just got out of jail last month for trying to save a dog. He was visiting Conneticut & a friendly dog was shot by the police because he was not on a leash. My boyfriend tried cpr on the dog & the police nabbed him for the same exact charges, disorderly conduct and reckless endangerment. He spent 4 months in jail & has 3 years probation! Unfortanatlly the dog did not make it & we are very upset for this hassle! Sometimes I just HATE cops!

Cataholic
04-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
My boyfriend just got out of jail last month for trying to save a dog. He spent 4 months in jail & has 3 years probation!

For disorderly conduct and reckless endangerment????? In Ohio, most DC charges are either a mm (no jail time) OR an M4...with 30 days max....I would think the circumstances would go a far way with a Judge....I don't know much about reckless endangerment...so, maybe that was the reason for such lenghty jail time????

KYS
04-18-2003, 03:08 PM
I have mixed feeling about this, only because
he could have put the fire department at risk
if a their had been a backdraft.
If he only put his life in danger, than I would
say he had every right to go save his dog.
I hope the Judge suspends his sentence/fine.
I am sorry the young man had to be arrested.
I would be devasted to see anybody's dog
left in a burning building.

Cisco's Mom
04-18-2003, 03:16 PM
Iv4dogs, I want to say what wonderful thing your boyfriend did! What a heck of a payment for tryinig to save a life!:( By the way, I would do wahtever it would take to save my boy. I gues the little stickers you put in a window to alert authorities of pets inside are worthless????:mad:

tikeyas_mom
04-18-2003, 03:52 PM
I would die for my dog, she is my life, I love her so much. I would do any thing for her if her life was at risk. thoughs cops are a$$Es .. :mad:

popcornbird
04-18-2003, 04:19 PM
OMG! What STUPID cops! They should be the ones to be charged! If I were the man, I would do exactly what he did! How could you leave your pets in a burning house and watch it burn down with them?!?! :mad:

Ann
04-18-2003, 05:21 PM
I think he is a true hero. It's pathetic that the cops would try to get him in trouble for saving a life. And after all, the article clearly states that he waited for 30 minutes for the firefighters to do something before doing his "reckless" stunt.

lv4dogs, that is totally and utterly ridicolous! I am so sorry for you and your boyfriend's sake... Tell him he too is a hero in my eyes and that cop, well, he should not be a cop! What a pig (actually no, that's an insult to real animal pigs)...

sabies
04-18-2003, 05:44 PM
No question - I would have done the same, especially since the balcony was accessible. Sounds like the firefighters weren't going into the building at all at the time, so no one was at risk except the man (and dog).

The firefighters should have gone up the balcony. Had a 1 year old human been banging on the glass door would they have waited? Would there have been no options? I'm glad locals are speaking up, hopefully that will reduce if not eliminate any jailtime and fines.

bnormal
04-18-2003, 08:40 PM
I understand completely why the guy disregarded his own life to save his pooch. I also understand why he went to jail.

I wouldn't hesitate to save my 2 boys. I would risk my life for them. I also would defend them at all costs sparing nothing or no one. I certainly would go to jail if that is the price I must pay for them. That's easy!

I am unable to limit the amount of love I have for my boys. Simply unable.

Can't help myself folks, one more picture of my 2 boys, Callihan and Mitchell!

joycenalex
04-19-2003, 09:31 AM
...and i don't give a hoot about the arrest. i'd do anything to save my furbabies.

oodlesofpoodles
04-20-2003, 08:17 AM
ditto to all, I would do anything to save my beloved pets, I would also try to help those not mine too. But it is sad to say that most of the time our beloved furbabies have no rights. I hope that the people of that town rant and rave enought that this poor man who has lost everything will be let go and not have to pay anything, He has already paid.

anna_66
04-20-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by KYS
I have mixed feeling about this, only because
he could have put the fire department at risk
if a their had been a backdraft.
If he only put his life in danger, than I would
say he had every right to go save his dog.
I hope the Judge suspends his sentence/fine.
I am sorry the young man had to be arrested.
I would be devasted to see anybody's dog
left in a burning building.
I feel exactly the same way.

And bnormal---your boys are both just beautiful!!!!

mugsy
04-20-2003, 08:51 AM
I would move heaven and earth to save my dog. Shame on the firefighters for not even attempting to save his life. If they had done the job correctly in the first place, he would not have had to break the law to save his baby. Can you imagine losing everything and then having to watch your baby die on top of it? I don't think so. There would have been some injured firefighters if they had tried to get in my way, but, that's just me.

I understand the law, but, I sure hope the judge takes the circumstance into consideration.

moosmom
04-20-2003, 09:00 AM
i would do the same thing
...and i don't give a hoot about the arrest. i'd do anything to save my furbabies.

Amen to that!!!

bnormal
04-20-2003, 09:40 AM
anna_66, thanks!

BTW, so are yours!

Kfamr
04-20-2003, 03:17 PM
I posted this in their comments page.
Kay Knapp - 10:29am Apr 20, 2003 CST (#914 of 932)
Pets are like children to many people. Ask the police men, judges, whomever thinks he's wrong for saving this breathing animal's life what they would do if they saw their child helplessly in a smoke filled room? Would they just leave it there or save it? Jarod is a good man and if anything deserves a heroism certificate for doing something the fire fighters should have done, not him.

Some of the people there sound like morons :mad:

bnormal
04-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Kfamr, your right!

Heroism in this day and age of any kind should be awarded!

Cincy'sMom
04-20-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I posted this in their comments page.
Kay Knapp - 10:29am Apr 20, 2003 CST (#914 of 932)
Pets are like children to many people. Ask the police men, judges, whomever thinks he's wrong for saving this breathing animal's life what they would do if they saw their child helplessly in a smoke filled room? Would they just leave it there or save it? Jarod is a good man and if anything deserves a heroism certificate for doing something the fire fighters should have done, not him.

Some of the people there sound like morons :mad:

Well sais KayAnn. I don't anyone who would even question what this man did had it been a child.