PDA

View Full Version : rude people

lbaker
04-16-2003, 06:07 PM
a few minutes ago my son just got a call for "Michael Baker", my late husband. My son said "he's deceased, please don't call anymore" and the person said "is Mrs. Baker home?" and my son said "she's not available right now" and the animal said "OH is she dead too?" I just can't believe this... we did a star 69 on the phone and it was "not in the dialing area"... the phone co. can't help. This is horribly upsetting and I just can't deal with it, nor can my son....... this sucks. Why do people have to be so cruel?
Laurie

wolfsoul
04-16-2003, 06:12 PM
Oh, I'm sorry, that must be terrible to have to deal with! :(

I wonder who would do that? :confused: :(

jenluckenbach
04-16-2003, 06:37 PM
That was a really stupid thing to say!:mad:

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-16-2003, 06:43 PM
OH MY LORD!!! :eek: :mad:

What a TERRIBLE thing for anyone to do!!!!!:mad:
I am so sorry that happened to you!!! :( :(

lovemyshiba
04-16-2003, 06:47 PM
That is just plain awful and insensitive. I wish you could find out who it was, I'm sure we would all be calling to give her or him a piece of our mind
I'm sorry you and your son had to be the subject of such ignorance:mad:

primabella
04-16-2003, 06:49 PM
What an ass :mad:

sammi
04-16-2003, 06:57 PM
So sorry Laurie that had to happen to you and your son. What a jerk.

babolaypo65
04-16-2003, 07:03 PM
I'm so sorry you and your son had to experience this. I had a similar experience. it STINKS. I wish i knew a way to contact them.... and give them a piece of your mind.:mad: :(

lbaker
04-16-2003, 07:11 PM
thanks, i just had to "talk" to you all.. I'm OK, my son is just sooo pissed and would like to retaliate but knows that's not the way to go now. I'm OK now. Thanks. Sometimes life is so hard. "All you have to call my name... and I'll been there, on the next train..." sorry, just zoning.. I miss him so much.
Laurie

pugmom73
04-16-2003, 07:35 PM
I know what you mean. The same thing happened to me when I was first widowed. Its hard enough to get through the days without him, but the phone calls & mail addressed to him made it really rough.
Now, 5 years later, I live in a new state & get mail addressed to my late husband! Yesterday, he received an offer for supplemental life insurance for funeral expenses...a wee bit late. How did mail addressed to him find its way to a house he never lived in (1200 miles from his last house)??!!
Pat

carole
04-16-2003, 07:39 PM
it always help to be able to talk about it on pet talk doesnt it, thats what we are all here for, so sorry you were put through such an awful situation by some sicko out there, doesnt bear thinking about, you take care now

primabella
04-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by pugmom73
Yesterday, he received an offer for supplemental life insurance for funeral expenses...a wee bit late.

How ironic

Nomilynn
04-16-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm very sorry this happened to you! I don't know how it works in the US but there is a commision up here in Canada for calls like that. If they call again, try to get him to tell you his company (I think they are required to tell you) and get in touch with whoever can bring charges against them. There is nothing more distressing than having to tell a telemarketer the've called someone who is no longer living. My grandma died two years ago and I still get calls for her.

I wish you luck - you are in my prayers and God bless

weiner_teddy
04-16-2003, 09:15 PM
What an ass

I agree with you there primabella-lol:)

iceyshiver21
04-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by primabella
What an a** :mad:

I agree. I would try and call the company and complain, MAJORLY!

gkristian
04-17-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by primabella
What an ass :mad:

I agree with you primabella

PayItForward
04-17-2003, 04:21 AM
This advice is a bit late.

If anyone rings our house and I don't recognise the voice. I ask/insist on knowing who is calling from what firm, before I tell them if me or Steve is in. If the company is unwanted like double glazing sales man. I ask them how they got our number (as it is ex-directory) and I want to speak to their manager.

It's your phone, you don't have to answer their questions. I am always polite but firm. It is understandable that our phone has been crossed off loads of sale lists and we are hardly getting any sales calls now. Hurrah

iceyshiver21
04-17-2003, 07:27 AM
Yah know, I bet being a salesman or telamaketer must be hard.....I mean who else could be THAT annoying!:rolleyes:

Rachel
04-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
This advice is a bit late.

If anyone rings our house and I don't recognise the voice. I ask/insist on knowing who is calling from what firm, before I tell them if me or Steve is in. If the company is unwanted like double glazing sales man. I ask them how they got our number (as it is ex-directory) and I want to speak to their manager.

It's your phone, you don't have to answer their questions. I am always polite but firm. It is understandable that our phone has been crossed off loads of sale lists and we are hardly getting any sales calls now. Hurrah

That is what I do as well. At the first or second question I ask, they are more than likely to just hang up. However, if I recognize that this is a telemarketer, I just say, *I am not interested, and hang up.* Also if any charity calls asking for a donation, I politely say that I do not make donations through telephone solicitation. I don't care how worthy the organization may be. I never want my name to get on a list of people who respond to this type of solicitation.

moosmom
04-17-2003, 09:27 AM
How rude and insensitive. Sounds like a telemarketer to me! I hate those people. I got a call the other day from a mortgage company. I told them I rented my place and hung up on them!

That is one of the reasons I got caller id. It's worth the $4 a month.

Whenever I get a call asking for "Donna Ploss" I automatically say she's not home and take a message. None of my friends call and ask for me by my first AND last name so that's a trigger.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by pugmom73
How did mail addressed to him find its way to a house he never lived in (1200 miles from his last house)??!!
Pat

I know this isn't much consolation, but these are just mass mailings/telemarketers who have no idea of who actually lives at each address/phone number they contact.

Terry and I are not married, and we've started getting mail addressed to "Mr. Hanson." Hanson is my last name and all the "Mr. Hansons" I know live in Wisconsin (my dad and brothers). :rolleyes: Terry owns the house and my name is nowhere near the title/deed, but we still get mail addressed to "Hanson Household" and "Hanson Residence" and such. Or the phone calls for "Mrs. Hanson." I always say "she's not here right now" because she's not - my mom is at home, not at my house. ;)

There is no excuse for this person's comment. It was totally out of line. Once they realize there has been a death, they should be sympathetic and say something like "I'm so sorry. I will make a note of it in our records so we don't bother you anymore." or something nice like that.

But for the most part, we are all just anonymous "potential customers" to these people and they could care less about titles. :(

slick
04-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Definitely a telemarketer. I have call display and if I don't recognize the phone number I don't answer it. The few times I have answered it I get "Hello, Mrs. Heys". I'm single so I just hang up on them.

I don't want to get into a debate about telemarketers because they do have a job to do, but, to be so insensitive is just so totally uncalled for. I'm sorry you had to be a victim.

lynnestankard
04-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Laurie - that person sounds such a sicko. What a horrible thing to say. No wonder you're so angry. How can such ignorant people actually get a job? Beats me.

Lynne

gini
04-17-2003, 01:52 PM
I was given a wonderful present at Christmas by a client. It is called a Tele-Zapper. So far it seems to be working quite well.

Instead of five or six calls a day, I am down to one or two a week.

I love the calls from people "who are in your area" and want to give you a quote on aluminum siding or some such thing.

In my "area" - I don't think so. I always ask who is calling.........and they have to tell you - however, I have had some who just hang up on you when you ask!

All of it is infuriating.....and rude and very annoying!

Dakota's Mommy
04-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Wow, I've heard of telemarketers being stupid, but that's really LOW!

NoahsMommy
04-17-2003, 02:37 PM
I'm so sorry! That was so uncalled for. :( :mad: :(

I don't know if this is any consolation, but just think at the life that person has to be able to be so heartless.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
04-17-2003, 04:17 PM
That is mean... sorry.

bluekat
04-17-2003, 04:37 PM
:mad: :mad: I'd be really angry too, what a mean thing to say!:mad: :mad:

pattycakes23
04-17-2003, 04:38 PM
that's just terrible!! I know how you feel, we get phone calls asking for my brother, who died 2 years ago, and some people are just so inconsiderate! You would think they would have the decency not to press on the subject :mad: well, I hope you don't get anymore nasty phone calls! that was definitely uncalled for

Ann
04-17-2003, 05:47 PM
That's awful... I am so sorry you and your son had to hear something so crude and heartless.

anna_66
04-17-2003, 06:27 PM
:( I can't even begin to imagine how it made you feel.