PDA

View Full Version : I'm irritated...

marysmerrycats
04-16-2003, 03:24 PM
my mothers realitor was just here(at my moms house) and she was mentioning how she is looking for a certain breed of dog, and how it has to be just a certain color even! she told me if I find any dogs of that breed to let her know, and I told her that I really doubt I would unless they just happen to be at petsmart.
I told her I don't believe in or agree with breeders and puppy/cat mills. she said that well then there could be something wrong with the animal...now THAT pissed me off!:mad: (as the saying goes, thems fighting words!) I didn't want to be rude(darn Im so good at it too!) to her since she is friendly with my mom and it was at her house) but I had to say something. I said well we(meaning my mother and I) would never trade the cats, problems and all) no matter what, they have been wonderful pets!

then she said well they have to meet certain criteria...! :mad:
I then said, well I just believe in the save a life theory, I don't care what they look like, or what breed.she didnt say anything else about it after that, I think I made her mad, but damn she really irritated me. my mom said I said too much, well I couldnt help it, I was at least nice about it, I didnt act mean to her:rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
04-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Well, there is the perfect example of a person getting an animal as a TROPHY (something to show off) rather than a pet (a family member to love).:mad: We will never be rid of all the STUPID PEOPLE !

marysmerrycats
04-16-2003, 03:44 PM
Jen you are so right! ahhgg! it makes me so mad:mad: :mad:
I got my cats because I love cats, and I wanted to adopt more. when I saw Callie, the note said she was 3 years and had litterbox problems, I HAD to get her. turns out they had the wrong cat there, that cat at petsmart actually belonged to someone(long story) so I could not adopt her, but had to go to the humane society if I still wanted to adopt her, which I did, so I went there, saw her, and then saw Cassie, and got her too! best mistake, becasue then I got 2 more wonderful cats! when we saw Charlie at petco, we went a few days later to pick him up at the shelter, and then my mom saw Patches, so we got them both.

I wish I could get more, and I will some day, oh thats another thing she said that made me mad, she said"you arent getting any more are you?" I said not at this time but I will!

I used to like her but not now:mad: :mad: :mad:
I absolutely can't tolorate that attitude! my mom siad they have the right, and like I have said, yes they do but to say those things to me when she knows I love cat, all animals. miss uppity , have-to-have- the- best!!:mad:

moosmom
04-16-2003, 03:45 PM
I know how you feel, Mary. Alot of people get offended :eek: when you tell them to adopt a dog from a shelter. Almost like the dogs have cooties or something. UGH!!

I went to my SIL's travel agency yesterday with Moo. One of the part-time employees of the agency was complaining about her cat (the cat is an older declawed cat). She complained that her cat keeps pooping and peeing outside the box. She said her husband is ready to toss the cat out the door :mad: :mad: My first question was whether or not they took the cat to the vet to rule out medical problems. No, they didn't do that because he's been doing it BEFORE they got their dog.

Uh-huh. Right then and there, I decided that this girl is just plain STUPID!!!! I tried to tell her to put the cat in a spare room with litterbox, food and water. She didn't want to hear it. *these friggin people just don't get it!!*

I finally walked out of there very angry. I told her that it wasn't the cats fault. It could be a number of things including medical problems, the fact that there's a new dog around, etc. My SIL was not too pleased with my "outspokenness". Don't care.

I gave her the phone number of a local rescue organization. I told her to do her cat a favor and get it to a vet. It was the LEAST she could do before dumping her cat off on someone else.

UGH!! :mad: :mad:

I HATE STUPID PEOPLE!!!

marysmerrycats
04-16-2003, 03:51 PM
Almost like the dogs have cooties or something. UGH!!
yes that was the look, exactly!:mad:

theres just no more to say, I get so pissed!

oh and if, someone EVER tossed one of my cats out, they would be next! in fact that did happen many many years ago, and lets just say I was not pleased. if he wasnt so big I would have tossed him out! but they cat was back inside in 3 seconds, !

Donna, your sister in law is a travel agent? thats a coincidence! my sil is also one, has her own agency!(well actually just sold it very recently)

my blood is still boiling, Im ready to put on a t-shirt about aving animals and challenge anyone who has the wrong attitude!!:eek: :rolleyes: ( ok, time to forget about the idiots of the world)...

Cisco's Mom
04-16-2003, 09:33 PM
well I just believe in the save a life theory
Well, I will have to say AMEN to that!

Songlover
04-16-2003, 09:55 PM
:) :) :) ;) ;) YOU GO MARY>>>>@!!!! You handled this potentially ugly situation just wonderfully !!! I hope that I will be able to handle myself as well as you did should a similar situation arise !!!

BRAVA and you go GIRL!!!!

Fond regards from Deborah in Montreal, Quebec :cool: :cool: :) :)

wolf_Q
04-16-2003, 10:10 PM
well I just believe in the save a life theory

I believe that too, but I also believe that certain breeds (or mixes of certain breeds) do fit better with some people's lifestyles then others, and really, that should play a part. I think if people would first think about what size/temperament/etc. they want in a dog, there'd be less dogs in shelters right now.

When I was going to get a dog I wanted a siberian husky....and only a siberian husky. It was my dream to have that breed of dog, and I had researched them and felt they were the right dog for me. I guess you can all stone me now for feeling that way. :(

For my next dog I'm hoping to get a rescue dog...but once again, it'd most likely be a siberian husky.

marysmerrycats
04-16-2003, 11:49 PM
I don't want to stone you! I agree with what you said about getting the right kind of dog , that makes sense. for instance, an older couple might not be able to handle a puppy, or a high maintainence dog, where a younger family would be able to...etc.

if you love huskys that much you should have one, of course. just like I wanted an orange tabby, and got one, I really lucked out, they had one the age I wanted!
and just like someones choice of dog vs cat, or rabbits vs hamster, etc.

it was her reaction to shelter pets and that it even had to be a certain color, for crying out loud!

also, she has irritated me at times, for months ( comments and an "attitude" about my cats, that even pissed off my mom!) and I have not said a word, but did today, maybe because of Callie, I was less tolorant, I don't know, but I finally told her today. did not tell her all I would have liked to, but shes my moms friend:rolleyes:

ps, I often think of getting a dog, one of these days, and one kind I really like is also the siberian husky! and german shepards, and some small dogs, if I only could!

Uabassoon
04-17-2003, 12:50 AM
I can see where some people would want a breed specific dog, but I think you should search rescue groups first before going to the breeder. But that's just an opinion I don't think anything of people that choose to get a dog from a breeder. I just really hate the mentality that some people have about a pure bred dog being better than a mixed breed. But purebred dogs have a lot of breed specific problems, I'm not saying that every purebred will get sick, but it is a possibility. And every dog is different, like labs for example I've met some that are so sweet and mellow and really nice dogs. And I've met some that are just super hyper and totally nuts to the point that I don't really want to be around them. So I don't understand how people can think that they are better than mixed breeds. I personally love mixed breeds and don't think I could ever justify spending a lot amount of money to purchase a dog when you can adopt a dog that will be just as wonderful.

wolf_Q
04-17-2003, 01:01 AM
Well, I certainly do NOT think that purebreds are better then mutts. There is no kind of dog that is "better" then another, just certain dogs are better for certain people.

I know this has been debated many times on here, and every time I feel like I'm a horrible person for having a purebred dog and not a rescue.

Sorry, off topic here...heh........I think this womans reaction to expecting a shelter to have that specific of a dog is ridiculous...and also that a shelter pet automatically has "something wrong" with them.....more or less there's "something wrong" with the previous owners...thats the problem!! :mad:

CathyBogart
04-17-2003, 01:38 AM
I am totally in agreement with you except for one thing....

You don't believe in breeders? What about responsible breeders who work hard to improve a breed and don't bring a litter into the world unless they know they have enough homes for all of the puppies? Rescue dogs will always be my favorites, but I have a lot of respect for people who work hard to improve a breed.

Nomilynn
04-17-2003, 02:10 AM
If I was looking for a specific breed of dog, I would look to a responsible breeder. However, what really IS stupid is how a shelter dog is somehow lower class :mad: We got Garth at a shelter, and he's a purebred sheltie. Sheltie's are my favourite dogs, and I was so excited to find one at a shelter. He had a lot of problems too, so it was nice to know he came to our family because we didn't give up on him when another family might have (he bit and peed in the house).

If I was looking for a pet, I would look at a shelter first, unless I really wanted another sheltie. Sounds like this woman doesn't really want a pet though, like Jen said.

CathyBogart
04-17-2003, 02:24 AM
My dog is from a local rescue, and she is phenomenal!! My last dog was found on a busy highway.

This summer I plan to get a dog from a friend of mine who spends a lot of time planning and researching and striving to improve the breed she breeds. (Mini Aussies) I am astounded at how many people have given me a hard time for choosing not to rescue this once. Excuse me, but she happens to have the most phenomenal, intelligent, beautiful, and happy dogs I have ever seen.

I am being a bit particular (I am waiting on a Red Merle Male) but I see nothing wrong with that since I found a wonderful breeder who may very well have a red merle boy available June 1. ^_^ (Male because I have a female dog already and red merle because....well....Look at April's pictures on her WP!)

Here's her website if anyone's interested in seeing some CUTE pictures! http://www.heatherlyaussies.com/

Crikit
04-17-2003, 09:02 AM
I'm somewhat in agreement here, yes I believe that when looking for a dog, that it would be better if people saved a rescue or shelter dog, but I'm also under the belief that if there is a specific breed and temperment that you want, you can't always find it in a shelter or rescue, or even it might be a breed that isn't popular enough to have a rescue group or find it self being turned over to shelters like mutts and popular purebreeds.

If that was the case I would definitely go to a breeder but only after I looked into them and talked to them, I would make sure that they were someone who had the dogs best interest in mind and not just wanting to get rid of a dog or puppy for some quick cash.

I have two purebreeds and one mutt (all rescues), and even though I love all of them to death. Smudge my lab cross will always have a little bit more of my heart, not because he's a mutt but because I had him first. If I had Winter or Tama first it would be the same for them.

I don't like a dog because it's a mutt or a purebreed, and to be honest with you I don't really care where it comes from...unless it's from a pet store or puppy mill that's just wrong...what I look at for all dogs is thier personality and temperment, and I take it in to consideration for each dog not each breed. There are some dogs that I have meet that I just love because they have to type of temperment and personality that I just love, and there are others that I just hate because of a rotten temperment and personality. Not because of where they came from.

marysmerrycats
04-17-2003, 11:00 AM
wolfchan

about responsible breeders, true dog lovers... I will have to think about that some more, I don't know quite how i feel about that.

about the breeders that cross cats and come up with some strange new breed, I absolutely do not agree with them. I don't like that at all.:mad:

I agree with Uabassoon, if someone wants a certain breed, try a rescue group. after that, I personally would never go to a breeder. I believe as long as there are homeless and stray cats and dogs, they should be given a home first! I would never get a pet anywhere except from a shelter or a rescue.

whenever I can get another pet, I will go to a shelter and pick one or two of them. I love animals, and want to get as many out of shelters as I can.

but everyone has a right to their own opinion, and choice. I am not condeming you. if you went to a pet shop where they get them from puppy/cat mills, then I would, LOL!

luckies4me
04-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Woflchan, have you talked to Michelle in Idaho about her Mini Aussies? She also breeds rats. ;)

I love mutts and shelter animals. :D But there are also purebreds in shelters as well. Morgan came from our local shelter and she's a purebred golden. I bred my cats a few times but I will NEVER do it again. There are people out there much more experienced than I am and it's best to leave it up to them. I do breed rats, but not without having people on my waiting list. Most get sold to other breeders and I know where they are and going to live because I know the people. We pretty much just breed for ourselves. But all my rats are pets first. I have a lot of ratties who are not bred and will just live here spoiled rotten. I am actually taking in some girls next week to be spayed. :D

I have had three shelter dogs. Morgan who I have now, Max who was a german shephard/corgi mix and Pooka my chichuahua. I know this may sound weird but I think most mixed breeds are cuter anyway. I just adore the scraggly long haired unekmpt pooches!!! I love them all. I don't think mixes are better or vise versa and I do believe there is a certain dog out there for everyone, but you can always find what you are looking for in a shelter dog. I have seen so many shelter dogs who are purebred. WolfChan, two mini Aussies even.....a BAD neglect case! There has been labs, goldens, huskies, rotties, german shephards, poodles, chis, great danes, bichons, Borzois, greyhounds, jack russels and fox terriers! If they do want a purebred there is a good chance you can find one at the shelter. My next cat is comming from our local shelter or will probably be one of the many kittens that I will bottle raised that will be dropped off at my work this summer. We're just waiting for the calls to start comming in and I am sure I will have some new rescues shortly. Can't wait! :D

I do have to say that I respect breeders who do it right, meaning they have waiting lists, have contracts for spays/neuters, inspect the DRILL the new home before the animal leaves, and ones that breed to prefect the breed and type of the animal. That's how I breed my rats and that's the only way I will do it. I don't breed unless there is a demand, almost all the kittens are reserved beforehand, all are sold on contracts including spay and neuter contracts, breeders need written permission before they can breed one of my rats and I always make sure I have updated info on these people. It's unwise to breed something just because it is cute, and I have learned that. There are a lot of rats I have that are just beautiful but I won't breed them because they have bad attitudes, aren't healthy or are just otherwise unfit for breeding. I am VERY picky when it comes to who I select as a breeder. But the point being, if they have the animals welfare in mind and breed responsibly I don't have a problem with it. :)

CathyBogart
04-18-2003, 01:52 AM
I may kind of be repeating myself, but here goes.... ^_^

I love Mini Aussies. I think they are beautiful dogs, and one would fit beautifully into my lifestyle (Active, high energy, but I like to sit and relax in the evenings too) and I happen to find Red Merle Sussies positively BREATHTAKING!

Am I wrong for wanting this beautiful dog that would be happy with my home and lifestyle? Is it wrong because I choose to take in a puppy whose parents I know and love (Well, I know the dam, and I've met the sire several times) and who I know has been raised in a wonderful envorinment, with his every health need cared for? A puppy whose family history I can study to see what kind of health problems (if any) I can expect later in his life? These are the reasons I am looking into responsible breeders now.

Heather loves her dogs, and she is able to take them to work with her so they go everywhere!! She is actually a dog trainer, so the puppies have the best possible start; raised in health, happiness, and love.