PDA

View Full Version : Thunderstorms - peaceful?

primabella
04-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Do you think thunder/lightening storms are peaceful when you are trying to sleep? We had one last night and I love it. I find them so peaceful and just makes me think of the beauty of nature. Anyone else think so? Maybe that's just me :rolleyes:

(I'm curious ;)):

ramanth
04-15-2003, 02:49 PM
I love thunderstorms as long as I have shelter I can go into very close by. I'll sit out on the back deck at my parents house and watch them roll in until my mom gets nervous and makes me come in. I love staying up late to watch the lightning and hear the thunder.

I have been caught in a few without shelter and it's a very terrifying experience.

primabella
04-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Of course, I only enjoy them when I know I'm safe. :)

My dad used to sit out on the balcony during lightning storms while we were vacationing in Florida. We had an ocean view from the back and he would just watch. It's so nice. :)

Nomilynn
04-15-2003, 03:02 PM
I'm absolutely terrified of thunder :o The stupid part is, I'm not nearly as afraid of lightning.. my dad is also scared of thunder and I think that's where I get it from. Whenever it starts to thunder, I start to sweat and shake, and if it's at night, I can't sleep.

Tina
04-15-2003, 03:11 PM
I love to hear thunderstorms:) In the summer time when we go to my parents sometimes we sit out on the back porch and watch the storms roll up I think it is really neat.

Desert Arabian
04-15-2003, 03:24 PM
My mom and I are thunderstorm freaks! We drive out to the boonies (sp?) to watch the lightning, since it is hard to see it in the city. I *love* thunderstorms and lightning. I *HATE* it when you are sleeping and a big boom of thunder shakes the house and makes you wet the bed (j/k). lol. I do find them peaceful at times yes. I especially find it peaceful when you can see the lighting in the distance, but you can't hear any thunder. :)

I had a rather scary experience this past summer at camp with a thunderstorm. Ugh! I will never forget it. Don't know if ya want me to share it or not...

Ann
04-15-2003, 04:12 PM
HELL NO! :eek: I'm extremely scared of thunder/lightning, and so is Tina. Rain on the other hand, I find totally soothing and nice to go to sleep during :)

bluekat
04-15-2003, 05:59 PM
My mom loves it! I used to be soooooo afraid of thunder and lightning, and I think I still am. But I do like a little bit of rain- ONLY when I'm sleeping! I don't really like rain.

catland
04-15-2003, 06:07 PM
we don't get very many thunderstorms out here, so they are a special occasion. I really like the sound. I also like the sound of a really good, hard rain.

primabella
04-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Yeah, the hard rain is the best! :D

I *HATE* it when you are sleeping and a big boom of thunder shakes the house and makes you wet the bed (j/k).

Heehee :D

CamCamPup33
04-15-2003, 07:38 PM
We had one last night and I love it. I find them so peaceful and just makes me think of the beauty of nature. Anyone else think so? Maybe that's just me

Yep thats exactly how i feel!! i love it anytime!! lol Day or night

aly
04-15-2003, 07:44 PM
I LOVE the rain. I like thunder sometimes but hate lightning. I can never enjoy the rain though because I always worry about the countless animals out trapped in it :(

I worry about another thing too but I don't wanna say it on here because its really sad :(

Cisco's Mom
04-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Yea I enjoy a good rain, but I don't care about the thunder waking me up! Nothing better to relax to than the sound of rain coming down. I know here in Fl we have electrical storms. Just a whole lot of lightening and nothing else. This is really cool amd makes really neat pics.

Kfamr
04-15-2003, 07:48 PM
i like them and i don't like them.

I like when it's just a small storms but normally down here storms mean tornados and strong wids or even hurricanes and it's very scary.

Desert Arabian
04-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Kfamr- I agree! When the tornado siren went off, OMG, I spazed! I was literally running around screaming and crying. I grabbed the cat and wrapped him in a towel and put him in the cat carrier. We all went downstairs, luckily it never touched ground.

And when the power goes out...that is a whole nother story!! :eek: :eek: I hate it when it flashes on and off, that bugs me too!

*We didn't have the rats then.

Cookiebaker
04-15-2003, 08:16 PM
As long as I'm safe, I *love* storms. I remember when I was really little, I would sit with my Dad out in the garage watching it light up the sky. If I'm out somewhere, I don't like it much.

Last year, when we were in Cape Hatteras, we had a terrific storm. It was just so incredible! :)

iceyshiver21
04-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Theres one going on right now....Me and Weiner_teddy just finished letting in our hourses and I went and laid in my yard on the ground and watched lighting.....I know not a bright thing to do but I do it everytime.:D

Desert Arabian
04-15-2003, 09:07 PM
There was a storm when we were at Cape Hatteras too. The rain was blinding, you couldn't see 2 feet in front of the car. We had to put our 4-ways on and drive 5mph. It was a really neat experience.

Soledad
04-15-2003, 11:32 PM
I love thunderstorms. My favorite part is right before the start of things. You know, the calm? I love it when the light turns eerie and surreal, sometimes it's almost yellowish and makes grass look greener than is natural.

And the best has to be the first clap of thunder followed by a sudden burst of rain. I think it's all REALLY thrilling. Sam gets scared though. And so do the animals.

iceyshiver21
04-16-2003, 06:47 AM
Tornados make me freak! In '93 I wanna say, there was a storm.... My dad worked all night I only ever got to see him before I left for school in the morning. Well this one night my mom went to the upstairs bathroom and was getting somthing and she happended to look out the window and she the sky turn all greenish. Siriens. She ran down the stairs graved me and my little brother, cody and we went down stair to go under the stairs and cover ourselves with a matress. Then she had to go back upstairs to grave Lady(the only pet we had at the time), just as she went down the second time the PHPNE RANG! She picked it up thinking it was my dad at work....only to hear "Hi, Im jerry I...."
Stupid vacumm cleaner salesman.

KYS
04-16-2003, 05:44 PM
I would be afraid to be near a Tornado, I would rather
have a small earthquake.
I like to watch lightening, as long as it is not
to close, but I could do with-out the Thunder.
The noise scares my dogs. :(

iceyshiver21
04-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by KYS
I would be afraid to be near a Tornado, I would rather
have a small earthquake.
I like to watch lightening, as long as it is not
to close, but I could do with-out the Thunder.
The noise scares my dogs. :(

EARTHQUAKE!!! Ill pass on that! :eek: :eek: I am terrified of every being in one....I dont have to worry about that one much in minnesota the ground is froze 95.99% of the year:rolleyes: :p

iceyshiver21
04-16-2003, 05:55 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p1939139448152184ba01cb29e7aec5d1/fc539bfe.jpg

Its like noon in this picture mid-summer!! The sky may look clear but on the otherside its all green dark and raining, plus in about 10 minutes we'll get hail and really hard wind!

iceyshiver21
04-16-2003, 05:55 PM
By the way thats me my friend jen and her mom, where in a parade.

CamCamPup33
04-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Kfamr- I agree! When the tornado siren went off, OMG, I spazed! I was literally running around screaming and crying. I grabbed the cat and wrapped him in a towel and put him in the cat carrier. We all went downstairs, luckily it never touched ground.

Yeah!! That is scary.. Pretty likely in florida for a siren to go off!! lol.. Yep i would be freaking too!! :eek:

Felicia's Mom
04-16-2003, 09:47 PM
I love thunderstorms especially if they are at night and I am home.

Kfamr
04-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Hehhee.. with everyone storming... we're gunna go to the beach tommorow! :p

wolf_Q
04-17-2003, 12:03 AM
I love thunderstorms......most times. I find listening to them VERY soothing while I sleep. I also enjoy watching them, and I *love* the smell of rain.

I really enjoy listening to the rain when we're camping in our 5th wheel, as it's much louder in there....it kind of freaks me out when there's lightening when I'm camping though.

We get a lot of mountain fires caused by lightening, so it can be pretty scarey.

Reggie is terrified of thunder...Smokey and Nebo don't seem to care.

As far as natural disasters, I don't really know about hurricanes.....not something that would happen here...but we did have a tornado run right through down town Salt Lake City a few years ago, and that was pretty freaky. I'm *terrified* of earthquakes.......basicically since I was a kid I've ALWAYS heard (from teachers and many others) about how where I live is just sitting on a fault line.......waiting for the "big one" to happen. :eek: I believe that we have small earthquakes quite often here though, I've felt a few of them...fell off the bed once during one lol.

sammi
04-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover

And when the power goes out...that is a whole nother story!! :eek: :eek: I hate it when it flashes on and off, that bugs me too!

*We didn't have the rats then.

This how I feel! Only I hate lighting. High wind is the worst. I just get wild. Every year the storms seem to get worse.

wolf_Q
04-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Forgot to say one thing..........the power goes out CONSTANTLY here....I swear, just a tiny rainstorm causes the darn power to go out.......that's annoying lol (especially when you are doing important things like browsing pet talk ;) )

RubyMutt
04-17-2003, 12:41 AM
I love thunderstorms! :D We used to have a blacony that looked over a golf course so we had a great view of the sky. My dad and I loved to go out there and watch the lightening. :)
I am scared to death of tornadoes!! I have no idea why... I live in western Washington and we NEVER get them here! :rolleyes: I even have nightmares about them. LOL...

Kfamr
04-17-2003, 12:57 AM
PCB-
I've never actually been in a hurricane but it's been so close to us, we're lucky. It's really strong winds, normally no power, I take a bunch of blankets and put them in the hall with my sutffed animals lol. We board up the windows, but everything either in the house, garage, shed, anything that could fly. we take the stuff out of the pool we take the lid o0ff of the hot tub and put it on the ground. A hurricane has knocked over our fence befor... It's just basically really scary.. nothing really bad has happened to where i live but close by there's been alot of tornados when a hurricane is near.

neko1
04-17-2003, 05:57 AM
I like thunderstorms except when I'm trying to sleep. I'm a very particular sleeper (I need constant white noise) and I'm a very light sleeper. I especially hate it when the power goes out because I cannot sleep until it goes back on and I can have my noise.

Jessica12345
04-17-2003, 06:27 AM
I do like to hear the rain. :) i get terribly nervous though when there is lighting because we have two huge fields on the side of us, and out house is on a little hill. we are the highest thing on the street. :( Once we thought our house was struck by lighting and was on fire, but it wasnt. and a house 2 streets away was on fire. :eek:

Dakota's Mommy
04-17-2003, 01:31 PM
It doesn't bother me, infact, sometimes it's easier, to try to sleep while there's a nice heavy downpour going on outside. However, I hate Thunderstorms. The girls get all antzy and it's just hard for me to sleep because of it. So, I don't like them at all. Plus, they tend to make me jump because I'm not expecting the noise or the light!