PDA

View Full Version : mistreatment delima!

cynkatt
04-15-2003, 12:37 PM
i happen to know of this person who has in the opinion of myself and others, mistreated some little sugargliders.
one was made to live in a pouch for four days and became very ill w/ diareah and dehydrated in her poor care. Another case she took in a bonded pair of boys and ripped them apart to sell one for profit. She was found out,but has not done the right thing on any account in anyway. SPCA might even be investigating her. It is the opinion of many after watching posts on various boards,groups and forums that this person is still after more gliders,was after more then they got before and may even be trying to become a mass breeder. the person has little knowledge and no experience minus a cpl weeks with these seedy dealings. This person hides her age creating a legal issue being that they are a minor,portions of the glider communtiy are agast with this.
so fellow animal lovers what do u think about this person that did all this,is it bad enough ppl shuld be warned?
just looking for some opinions,wondering if it matters to anyone out there?
it may appear that i have posted in the wrong section but trust me,i haven't.
sincerly
concerned person from the glider community

Karen
04-15-2003, 01:10 PM
I moved this post to "Pet Health" where it belongs. You should report that person to the authorities, Animal Welfare, folk, whatever you can. Have you tried educating this person, or giving her help and information?

lbaker
04-15-2003, 01:34 PM
most upsetting.... is cynkatt sure that Stitch (today's POD) is being raised by the young woman she's so nervous about? Can cynkatt get support by the other caring people she mentioned in the other thread? Stitch's owner sounded like a very caring person but if this is the same young lady cynkatt thinks it is someone needs to act, and act now. Exotic animals seem so "neat" that they so often do fall into the wrong hands for all the wrong reasons........... oh dear

cynkatt
04-15-2003, 01:46 PM
hi thanku for allowing the post to exists,i was worried i may have been stepping on toes.
yup they have been reported to the spca
and the joey that was sick had a health cert from avet ssued prior to his pickup and what he went thru that made him sick. its really very very sad.
you see here in canada the glider community is tight,we support one another and work togther and help each other out etc. i do know two ppl who had invovlments with her and almost sold one of my own bbs to her,thankgod i had caught her lying about her age and expereince before i did, not long after the other breeders had their experiences with her,its all so sad.
and thanku again for allowing me to tlk about this as i know some boards can be very tight on this sort of a subject.
cynkatt

Krystal
04-15-2003, 02:00 PM
This person has been reported to the humaine society. I case is currently being compiled against her as we speak. Her main purpose, it seems, is to take in recsues and other inexpensive animals under the assumption she will give them good homes. Only to become somewhat of a broker and resell them to the highest bidder. One pair she took in (gliders) were given on the condition she keep them together and safe. She promptly sold one days later. She has been banned off many other boards. She is black listed off breeders waiting lists in most of Canada. Her own mother occassionally posts and emails under her daughters name to try to influence people to let her stay on boards. It is infuriating that this girl has said she is looking to buy gliders, then days later is trying to sell gliders. She claims she is helping a relative sell some, but then why is she on other breeders waiting lists if she has a relative with avaliable gliders. She constantly contridict herself. Many of us would like to see this girl stop mistreatment and neglect of her "pets" immediately!

possummomca
04-15-2003, 02:12 PM
I also am in canada and can support Cynkatt on this whole dilemma. In fact I was the one who brought the two rescues ad to the attention of our forum. They were to go to a loving home and they were a bonded pair. What the owner at that time didn't mention was that they were a bonded pair of males. Unfortunately this young girl got them and upon realizing that she could make no money on two males promptly sold one and was on the hunt for a female. She is young and i would be more then willing to help her in any way that I could or can but I will not help anyone to become an over night mass breeder. When i say mass it is not just because of the rescues but her bid in any forum that would have her ad it seemed to buy up gliders. Unfortunately for the part of reporting this matter to the spca or other authourity(although that has done) there will not be alot done in the matter probably because Fortunately she landed on a forum where we are very serious about the care and husbandry of our fur butts and we have been able to thwart her efforts on most of the sugar glider specific boards to buy up gliders . I am sorry this was my first post here but i needed to voice my concern also. She has Stitch and there is not alot that can be done now unless an authourity does get going on it but we can try to inform and ultimately protect future gliders and animal people. You are right Exotics are more trouble to ferret out the proper info and it takes time to learn about them and done right they are the love of our lives but you just can't take short cuts the way this young girl wants to . She knows that we will be there for stitch if she needs info or help but that we believe she needs to stop and breath and enjoy her first gliders before figuring she is going to make her first million floading the pet market with gliders that may or may not end up in loving homes.
Thanks guys LOL and again sorry to emerge on the scene in such a sad tale

lbaker
04-15-2003, 02:52 PM
as I said earlier... wanting an exotic because they're "neat" is pitiful enough, but to want ANY dear little critter for MONEY! is disgusting and should be criminal. I'm heartbroken hearing things like this.

Glider_Haven
04-15-2003, 03:03 PM
I can backup on this topic as well... poor little Stitch came from me.. I learned a lesson... the sweet and innocent looking are not in the least way the best parents... from now on a purchaser from me has to fill out a questionaire... or there will be no buisness occurring.
I hope someday little stitch will make it back home.
Melissa

cynkatt
04-15-2003, 03:06 PM
we all do mel our hearts are all breaking and we are all worried about her.
those boys deserve to be eback together too. its all so sad!
cyn

lbaker
04-15-2003, 03:12 PM
OH NO!!! you mean Stitch was one of THOSE two little boys???!!!:mad: :mad: This just gets sadder and sadder:(

possummomca
04-15-2003, 03:16 PM
No little stitch is a little girl coming from a caring breeder that got duped before we caught wind of what was going on and is the first victim of this kids breeding program .:mad:

possummomca
04-15-2003, 03:27 PM
The two boys were both rescues and i have no idea what their names are but they were older and bonded when they were tore apart and deserve also to be back together. Which makes me think of something .. I am sure she will be reading this thread because of stitch being pet of the day so may i take this opportunity to ask her to wait for some time to even think about breeding whatever gliders she has and if she is thinking of putting stitch with the remaining glider to PLEASE reconsider as stitch is tooo young for the remaining rescue boy that you have. She will be for a very long time, in fact considering letting Melissa have that bb girl back would not be a fault in your Character you would be doing the right thing

carole
04-15-2003, 03:38 PM
excuse my ignorance, what is a sugar glider, i have never heard of them in nz.

cynkatt
04-15-2003, 04:02 PM
please visit my website,and check my breeder page,my sweetie pies are on there
http://mysite.freeserve.com/Ambrookebirds
i would be happy to tell u anything u want to know about them.
I have a group called abc sugargliders on
yahoo where those interested,breeders and owners can come together and connect,support one another and learn and research.

Gliders are small marsupial possums (not to be confused with unrelated oppossums)
the are nocturnal and omniovorous
colony dwellers anything u wanna know about them just ask away :)
maybe if there are ppl interested in learning more we can start a thread on them,the gliders themselves where ppl can ask some q's about them?
thanks
cyn

Glider_Haven
04-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Heres my site too :)
and my webshots album to see photos !
http://www.geocities.com/sugargliderhaven
http://community.webshots.com/user/sugargliderhaven
Melissa

carole
04-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Thank you both for putting me straight on that one, we have oppossums here, but they are considered a pest, not sure about the sugargliders, will check out the websites, thanks again

cynkatt
04-15-2003, 05:09 PM
they come from australia,indonesia and new gueani (sp?)
they are sweet when they bond with you. but being that they are an exotic pet and very unique they aren't for everyone.
maybe if this has sparked some interest in folks for learning about gliders we can be of some assistance there,i can start by making a new thread in general pets for sugargliders. this one is kind of a sad story starting it off so i would like to do something on a more positive note on these lovely creatures.
And thankyou everyone who posted for all the support,we really apreciate the understanding of others in the situation with this girl.
see you all in the new thread i hope:)
cyn

jacquiebarnaby
04-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Hi,

I too, have been frankly horrified at this girl's behavior (she's a minor) - Stitch, the glider in the pet of the day category, is the glider that is being sought after to rescue her by the original breeder after having helped the breeder of the young male recover hers.
The spca has been contacted as a result of her many unscrupulous and neglectful or even abusive actions. :-(
So far, we have found her in about 6 groups with several different names, identities, and stories, but always the same IP#
I sincerely hope this saves everyone here all the grief that members of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ABCsugargliders/ have gone through starting at post # 2834

Krystal
04-15-2003, 08:04 PM
I have already reported this girl to the authorities. i sold her a glider, then days later she asked if she could return it, because, in her words,"it hates her and she feels the same way about him". She was refering to an 8 wk out of pouch joey that would crab ( make noise) because it was frightened. She toted this youngster around for adays before getting it back to me. It was clearly dehydrated by then. Never take on a pet unless you have the patience, time, and love to give to it. And never think of what you can gain!