PDA

View Full Version : Rabies Shot

petspoil
08-04-2001, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know when do puppies have their rabies shots? They start to have their shots when they are 2 months old. I think they have to have 3 shots. Is it the last time that they get the rabies shot?

Daisy's Mom
08-04-2001, 11:40 PM
Rabies shots need to be updated. I am not sure how often... yearly maybe? I don't know. I hope someone else can help. But I do know you have to keep getting them or they wear off.

KYS
08-05-2001, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by petspoil:
[QB]Does anyone know when do puppies have their rabies shots? >>>>>

rabies shots I believe are given
to puppies at 12-16 weeks
and again at 12 months.
Depending on the manufacturer's recommendation on their
package, boosters are given every 1 to 3 yr. Check with your vet he will be happy to
help you. :)

Tanya&Fritz
08-05-2001, 11:35 AM
Hi Petspoil! I see you're from Canada too. Here puppies are given shots at 2 months, 3 months, 4 months and once a year afer that.

Daisy's Mom
08-05-2001, 09:35 PM
Ha look at that, I WAS right when I said yearly ;)

KYS
08-05-2001, 10:58 PM
Thanks Tanya&Fritz,For the correction
for Canada.
I never even looked at where Petspoil
was from. :eek:

I am curious, some of the manufactuer's
rabies serum is good for up to
3 yrs. So in Canada you can not use the
2 to 3 yr. serum only the 1 yr.?

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: KYS ]

kobieeli
08-05-2001, 11:48 PM
Here in California the "puppy series" of shots our vet gives starts at 8 weeks old and runs until 16 weeks old (at 4 week intervals)--this is the combo DHLPPC vaccine that does NOT contain rabies. Pups get the rabies one separately at 16 weeks along with their last DHLPPC.

Check with your vet because I have heard that although you're supposed to get the rabies booster yearly after 16 weeks, many vets use a rabies vaccine that's actually a THREE YEAR dose. Apparently, some dogs may be getting over-vaccinated, and the health consequences of this aren't really clear.

Tanya&Fritz
08-06-2001, 06:55 AM
I've heard of the 3 year dose. I don't think we have it here in Canada, at least where I live. I have to bring my dogs every year. Maybe my vet is making extra money :eek: :D :eek:

Rottie
08-06-2001, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Tanya&Fritz:
<STRONG>I've heard of the 3 year dose. I don't think we have it here in Canada, at least where I live. I have to bring my dogs every year. Maybe my vet is making extra money :eek: :D :eek:</STRONG>

In Illinois, your dog can get 3 year or 1 year rabies vaccination. I think in Wisconsin your dog has to have it EVERY year. Check with your vet, he'll know the law. :)