PDA

View Full Version : Its tax day here in the US of A. Have you filed yet?

catland
04-15-2003, 10:42 AM
I was finishing mine up last night when Turbo-tax crashed on me:eek:

Looks like I'll have to re-install it tonight to finish my state taxes.

jennifert
04-15-2003, 10:53 AM
I have to pay every year so I put it off as long as possible! I JUST now completed them. I don't have the money to pay them though so I'm just going to mail them without the check and let them send me a bill!! What else can I do?
You would think I made a lot of money....which I don't! I make less than one year of my college education cost! Tell me, what was the point?! :eek: :confused: ;)

ramanth
04-15-2003, 10:57 AM
I filed mine last month and have already recieved my Federal Return. Just waiting for the City and State to pay me. ;) :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Must be nice, Kimmy! We filed ours back at the beginning of February. We always have to pay the IRS. I have been paying them since before I even had a job!! Andrew usually gets money back, but since we filed jointly, he got the bad end of the deal and had to pay:( I HATE PAYING TAXES.

Rocky'smomma
04-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Yes, I did and money is already gone too..;)

ramanth
04-15-2003, 12:11 PM
I just consider myself lucky...I'm sure once I get married, I'll have to pay too. :(

anna_66
04-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Mark & I got back around $1400 and only had to pay $35 for school taxes:eek: Needless to say, I was shocked!
But like Rocky'smomma said, It's already gone:( (At least it paid for some of Mark's classes!)

Dakota's Mommy
04-15-2003, 02:28 PM
I filed a while ago and have since received the money back, cashed the checks, and saved most of it while only spending what I needed to on new tires for my car. (Brian's part goes to getting Sierra spayed (have to wait 3 more months til she's old enough though) since he wanted the 3rd dog so badly, it was our deal!)

ramanth
04-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Dakota's Mommy
I filed a while ago and have since received the money back, cashed the checks, and saved most of it while only spending what I needed to on new tires for my car.
Me too! But instead of getting 4 new tires my dad said I only needed to replace the front ones. woohoo!!!

The rest is burning a hole in my pocket but I'm being good. ;)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-15-2003, 02:53 PM
We had to pay last year.... BUT this year we are getting money back!! I am sooo excited... but Tinky and Jupiter won't be cause I will now have money to take them to their annual vet visit... POOR BABIES!:(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Mine were filed and the money in the bank 2 1/2 months ago. :D I have it easy - single, no deductions, nothing special so I file the 1040EZ over the phone and the money is transferred to my account 2 weeks later. Sometimes technology is a good thing. :D

neko1
04-15-2003, 05:39 PM
I've already filed and gotten my money (yeah!!) It's all going towards the honeymoon.

jenluckenbach
04-15-2003, 06:42 PM
e-filed and direct deposited MONTHS ago! I hate to wait. (of course, I DO NOT do my own taxes so the only thing I had to do was drive the stuff to the accountant):p

babolaypo65
04-15-2003, 06:48 PM
Its done. Turbo tax on Friday last week. I did okay this year. Usually owe, but bought a house..... yay.

Soledad
04-15-2003, 07:14 PM
I worked in the US for three weeks of this year, but I still finished them. Well, actually my husband did. I hate numbers.:o

aly
04-15-2003, 07:28 PM
I filed mine today... nothing like procrastination :D

Cisco's Mom
04-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Well, we always owe every year! Sucks! Before my hubby and I got married we never had to pay. I've been told that I need to have kids!:) Not to get a tax break.:rolleyes:

Cataholic
04-15-2003, 08:05 PM
I am with Jen...I gather up the documents, and away to the accountant it goes! Then, I just call him and say, "have WE filed yet"?

For those of you married and unhappy with your tax situation, have you tried filing separately? SOMETIMES it makes a difference. And, I forget which one of you mentioned you are in school, but still paying tax...that doesn't sound right. Are you having the proper withholding? I always got money back when I was in school....just a thought....sometimes, it might be worth it to have an accountant do your taxes every 3-4 years to make sure you are doing them correctly. (Not those of you who are filing the EZ form...that is pretty cut and dried)

Cookiebaker
04-15-2003, 08:11 PM
Yep, we filed back in January and actually got $ back this year!! Yiipppeee!! It's already gone and spent on our new bedroom set! It was well worth it though!

RubyMutt
04-15-2003, 09:01 PM
:rolleyes: I can be a bit of a procrastinator... I mailed mine out this morning...

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-16-2003, 06:21 AM
Cataholic, our accountant tried it both ways, and we owed less filing joint than separate. I too was told to have kids and I would get more money back. No thanks! I think I will continue to pay the IRS :D

I was the one who wrote about having to pay taxes while in school. I have had several investments in my name since I turned 18. This additional income caused me to have to pay while in college. I have never done my taxes. Don't have much time and worry about screwing them up. I do file my brothers's 1040EZ and state taxes every year.

Felicia's Mom
04-16-2003, 10:05 PM
My taxes have been filed and I have my federal refund back. I am getting a refund from the state, but I don't have that one back yet. I hope it didn't get lost in the mail.

Cataholic
04-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
I was the one who wrote about having to pay taxes while in school. I have had several investments in my name since I turned 18. This additional income caused me to have to pay while in college.

I am glad you posted that. I was racking my brain as to why you would have been paying taxes....and the investment income paints the whole story!! I guess you were in a good place cause you had some investments at such a young age, but, a bad place cause you didn't have much deductions to take against your tax...

catland
04-17-2003, 03:26 PM
there's a CPA firm in my office building and I will be using them next year. Right now, their office is closed for a well deserved break. They reallly work hard from January through tax day.:eek:

Logan
04-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Cataholic, our accountant tried it both ways, and we owed less filing joint than separate. I too was told to have kids and I would get more money back. No thanks! I think I will continue to pay the IRS :D

I was the one who wrote about having to pay taxes while in school. I have had several investments in my name since I turned 18. This additional income caused me to have to pay while in college. I have never done my taxes. Don't have much time and worry about screwing them up. I do file my brothers's 1040EZ and state taxes every year.

Had to laugh at the "kids" comment, Souraya. This year, Scott and I were able to claim all three of ours. Too bad we can't claim the pets too! But, we are getting a whopping $35 refund! I can only imagine how much we would have owed without the kids!!! :eek: