PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Desk...and helpers

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-14-2003, 04:56 PM
I got a new computer desk for at home. All I needed was something so I didn't have to sit on the couch to use my laptop. Seems I've contracted "tennis elbow" from the way I use my mouse while sitting on the couch. :rolleyes: Haven't picked up a tennis racket in probably 25 years, but I've got tennis elbow. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just wanted something cheap and small so I found a relatively nice one at Office Depot - some assembly required. I like that when they say that. Some assembly, which really means "we supply the parts, you put them together." Why don't they just say "You, the purchaser, need to put this together before you can even think of using it - and you better follow the instructions or you're not going to end up with a desk, and we're not responsible for what you do end up with." ;) :rolleyes: And to top it all off, the instructions are in 3 different languages so I had to keep skipping over the other two languages - and occassionally skipped over an entire step, which I realized 3 steps later. :rolleyes:

Tubby was there to help me get the thing out of the box, and look for the instructions (at first I thought they forgot the instructions!).
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/p29f6a036e16879a207e999c3436b30d1/fc5d64bd.jpg

And Peanut was on hand to inspect all parts and pieces to make sure they were up to snuff.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/pdcd5700dc452c2c3559c9710945514bf/fc5d64c3.jpg

I must have took too long to get it all assembled though, because Tubby decided to take a break during the process.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/p685e073ada330ff65347e83f337c0ec4/fc5d64c0.jpg

They both had to come over and inspect once it was all done, and I only made one minor mistake that wasn't worth tearing the whole thing apart to rectify. So it only took me about 2 hours to put it together. The only one I didn't get any help from was Terry. We've learned that on things like this it's best if we work alone. He did help out a few times when I couldn't get a screw in and such, but for the most part he supervised from the couch. ;) :D

NoahsMommy
04-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Awwww! What cute little helpers!!

Did they scope out the new desk for laying on??

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-14-2003, 05:13 PM
What great little helpers... maybe they would like to come over next time we have some assembly required;)

jenluckenbach
04-14-2003, 05:14 PM
but for the most part he supervised from the couch. So did Tubby, in the end.:D

batgirl1980
04-14-2003, 05:37 PM
LOL, that is sooo cute! :) Have they scoped it out now that it's together for the best cat napping spots???

catland
04-14-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
The only one I didn't get any help from was Terry. We've learned that on things like this it's best if we work alone. ;) :D

Good to know I'm not alone when it comes to this sort of thing. We've also learned this lesson if we want to keep our sanity (and marriage) intact!
;)

Miss Meow
04-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Oooh, this brings back stressful memories of when we tried to assemble a desk! I just love how they print pictures of every single washer and screw you need, but the instructions are unintelligible so you have to work out how to assemble the 527 parts yourself anyway!

krazyaboutkatz
04-14-2003, 11:59 PM
Cats make great helpers don't they or should I say supervisors. :) I'm glad you were able to put it togehter by yourself. Do you have a picture of it yet? I was expecting to see Tubby or Peanut laying on top of it for your last picture. :D

Barbara
04-15-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
Cats make great helpers don't they or should I say supervisors.

Definitely supervisors. Edwina with the cabinet, Tubby and Peanut with the computer desk and Filou and Tigris with the staircase painting project:D

Edwina's Secretary
04-15-2003, 08:40 AM
Debbie...how helpful.....you had THREE supervisors....Tubby, Peanut, and Terry!

I love those instructions....they are obvisouly written in another language and then translated into English. Sometimes baffling!

kimlovescats
04-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Ahh yes, the joys of computer desk assembly.... been there, done that!!! But what gorgeous helpers you had!!! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-15-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
I was expecting to see Tubby or Peanut laying on top of it for your last picture. :D

Well.....as you can see.....
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p861afa9505b9fd3b1eeede8dea68e2d2/fc556de1.jpg
there wasn't much room for anybody on top. :rolleyes: Like I say, now I need to get organized. :rolleyes: :)

Also, Peanut was never really one for climbing on things. I guess she prefers to have her four little paws on solid ground. ;) And Tubby has stopped jumping on things a few years back. I think he has a touch of arthritis so he really jumps as little as possible these days. But now you guys know what I was talking about when I said I don't have to cat proof the house anymore. If I had a kitten, the entire contents of this desk would be either on the floor or halfway down the stairs (on the other side of the railing) by now. ;) :D

Tubby came over and sat on the back of the couch while I was working there last night, but made no attempt to try to reach over and get on the desk - whew! ;) :D And Peanut came over and meowed so I brought her up on my lap, but all she does there is hide her head in the crook of my arm and purr - she's such a little sweety. :D So it looks like I'll have lots of help while I'm sitting there, but thankfully it won't be the "in between my face and the computer" kind of help that I might expect if I had a kitten. :)

Vermontcat
04-15-2003, 04:07 PM
I love the pics of your little helpers!:)
I know what you mean about not having to cat-proof a house with "senior" kitties.
Samantha uses a step stool to get up to her favorite chair and won't jump very often anymore, she prefers to step up.
It is nice to have a cat that we can trust not to go after our parakeet either. The worst thing she does is stare at the bird with big eyes!:eek: