PDA

View Full Version : Black Dogs

RubyB
04-14-2003, 02:06 PM
I was reading through dogs today and they said most people like goldies or browns or another colour- better to black. Now I've had black dogs and am getting one soon. So whats the deal with black dogs? :confused:

Freckles
04-14-2003, 02:10 PM
All the black dog lovers didn't vote.

RubyB
04-14-2003, 02:13 PM
You know I never thought of that!

Crikit
04-14-2003, 02:19 PM
I don't know. I personally love black dogs...especially if they have a bit of white on them. But that could be because two of my three are like that, while the third is white with black.

Kfamr
04-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Hehhe I love all colors doggies but i'm a sucker for TAN dogs! :D :cool:

Kona & Oreo's mom
04-14-2003, 02:30 PM
I love shiny black dogs! Here's a picture of mine. Her name is Oreo and she is the sweetest, friendliest dog I've ever met! (I know I'm probably biased because I'm her mom. But she really is a sweetheart!)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/ped010c03e9cc0bb194ed9493cc98645a/fc5800cf.jpg

ParNone
04-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Just speaking about what I personally find attractive, because
color matters not at all in the making of a wonderful dog.
That said, it doesn't so much matter if it's black, brown or gold
for me, as much as if it's just a solid color. I like markings that
distinguish them out of the crowd. I'm especially partial to Blue
Merles in Aussies, Shelties and Collies.

Par...

mugsy
04-14-2003, 02:43 PM
We will eventually end up with mostly black dogs since those are the ones that always get overlooked.

sammi
04-14-2003, 02:57 PM
I love all colors of dogs. But I can understand that statement -many people are more intimidated by black dogs I think. We had a black lab (very mellow) and some people were scared of her at first - and she was smaller than the last 3 lighter dogs we have had.

When we go to the shelter to adoped a dog I never look at the color - just how the dog reacts to us. Good luck on your new dog.

Jessica12345
04-14-2003, 03:10 PM
not sure... i read something that said black dogs in shelters are ussually the last to get adopted. it also said people are more intimidated by black dogs. it could also be because rotties are black and they dont have the best rep. its horrible. it shouldnt matter about the color... just the personality!:D

Kfamr
04-14-2003, 03:36 PM
A reason i wouldnt get a black dog down here would be because its so hot and black attracts the most sun... The dog would feel horrible in the sun.:(

Cincy'sMom
04-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Obviuosly, I am a sucker for the black dog!!! Both my girls are beautiful blackies and Spot has a back butt :) Unfortunatly black, and esp. big black dogs are often the last adopted...maybe part of it is intimidation factor...in the movies the bad guys wear black type of thing?

Cisco's Mom
04-14-2003, 05:41 PM
:confused: What is this ? Racism? :confused: I care not about the color,but I will have to say that there are alot of black dogs in the shelter I volunteer at. Hmmm....:rolleyes:

lovemyshiba
04-14-2003, 05:59 PM
Riley is my first black dog--we had beagles growing up, a golden, a husky and a few mutts:)
I don't care much about the dogs colors either--when we got Kito, we didn't even see him before we drove 3 hours to pick him up, Abbey--we wanted a beagle, and went to the rescue, it was pretty obvious what color she was going to be, and Riley, he was just handed to me at the SPCA--the lady could have handed me a purple dog, and I would have taken him home:)

captain
04-14-2003, 06:01 PM
I never realised that black dogs were overlooked until I saw Cincy's Mum's signature.

Terrilble ........ must be a perceived intimidation factor !!. I like all dogs ........ colour doesn't bother me.

kingrattus
04-15-2003, 01:15 AM
from what I've heard & seen from some experience, alot of people fear black dogs. I have no idea why, cause I have met a alot of mean white dogs...

jennifert
04-15-2003, 09:18 AM
I love black animals! I've had 3 dogs in my life and they have all been black. I love black horses also. I've just always been partial to them...I don't know why...

Pam
04-15-2003, 09:31 AM
When I was looking for Bella I wanted a white dog because I had never had one. Silly reason, huh? I had previously had all of the other colors that poodles come in, including black. Ripley is my second black dog. My Whitney (black standard poodle) was a big sweetheart. I must say that the day I laid eyes on Ripley if he had been purple I would still have adopted him. It was his sweet little personality at the shelter that won me over. How could someone not love this face. :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p5897c178a791846a83b0ef6f27991b9c/fc557f23.jpg

Tina
04-15-2003, 09:41 AM
I think it is plain crazy to be scared of a dog because it is black:( I love black dogs- when I was living at home my parents had a black chow, alittle black poodle mix, and black lab mix. So Oscar is the fourth black dog in life.

mugsy
04-15-2003, 10:29 AM
Aren't some people stupid?? Let's see, Sox, DeeDee, Sophie, Daisy, Sammy, Ryu, and Dio are all mostly black, in fact Sophie is ALL black and I love that sleek look that a shiny black coat has. I told Mike last night that eventually we're going to end up with an all black crew!

slleipnir
04-15-2003, 12:14 PM
I love all colors too, but I love black colored animals..maybe its just cause my 1st 2 dogs were black, but I fell in love with this beautiful black quarter horse when I was riding

Dakota's Mommy
04-15-2003, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry, but I LOVE SPOTTIES! Then, I seem to stick to black (or brown too I guess) dogs. As Amy said, she's got 2 (whom I absolutely love) and now I've got one of my own. I'm definately not in the group that overlooks the black ones!

(I didn't get to vote though because I never saw the poll)

SnowballPuppieDog
04-15-2003, 05:29 PM
i love all dogs and their colors . i think that black dogs are sooo sute but my dog is all white she looks like a big snowball and her name is snowball but i love black dogs:cool:

RubyMutt
04-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Yes, I've heard quite a bit about black dogs being overlooked at shelters and what not. :( It's very sad. I love all doggy colors! :D My old pup, Muffy, was primarily black.

Uabassoon
04-15-2003, 10:31 PM
I'll admit that I'm a sucker for red and tan dogs, but two years ago when I went looking for a dog it was a cute solid black dog that caught my attention. She is the sweetest dog ever, very mellow and well behaved, even as a puppy I didn't have many problems with her. She doesn't live with me anymore, I have "joint custody" of her. But I stop by almost everyday and visit her and I take out to the park a few times a week. Her name is Missy Misdemenor Elliot. Missy for short.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/pd376b44521a11dfa1bcc5105dabf7c83/fd468016.jpg

RubyB
04-16-2003, 02:44 AM
Does America have Dogs today Magazine?
Cause I'm thinking of entering Indy's pic for the front cover!

Cataholic
04-16-2003, 10:15 AM
This thred is just one more reason that suggests racism has got to go.