PDA

View Full Version : Oliver....

NoahsMommy
04-14-2003, 01:34 PM
I called the shelter last week to check on how Oliver is doing. The girl on the phone immediately said "You were right, he HATES other cats!!". Strangely, that made me feel a bit better, I guess I felt validated.

I just called the shelter to see if he was adopted this weekend (we were out of town). The (different) person on the phone said that he was still there and was very depressed!!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( My heart broke when she said that...he's depressed because of what I did!!! I'm so upset!!!

I almost want to go get him and figure something out....

What do I do??? I need outside advice....

:( :( :( :(

aly
04-14-2003, 01:37 PM
Kelly - could you foster him and just take him up to the shelter during the day then bring him home at night? Sometimes that is more stressful on them, but most of the time it seems to make them feel better. Or else maybe you could hang out at the shelter and try to see who's looking at cats and maybe talk to them about Oliver. Tell them he'll be a different boy once he's home and happy and maybe he'll get adopted quicker.

NoahsMommy
04-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by aly
Kelly - could you foster him and just take him up to the shelter during the day then bring him home at night? Sometimes that is more stressful on them, but most of the time it seems to make them feel better. Or else maybe you could hang out at the shelter and try to see who's looking at cats and maybe talk to them about Oliver. Tell them he'll be a different boy once he's home and happy and maybe he'll get adopted quicker.
Unfortunatley, the shelter is almost an hour away from our house....I want to go get him... Maybe he could just stay in our bedroom until we could find him a new home. But I'm at a loss for that option too, he needs to be along and we don't know any "cat people" without any cats.

I do like your idea about "selling" him to anyone that looks his way on Saturday....He let me carry him around and smother him with kisses when I had to give him back ( :( :( :( ). I bet that would make someone want him, huh??

PayItForward
04-14-2003, 02:05 PM
What about a local newspaper ad, explaining how this beautiful sweet cat needs a loving 'one cat' furever home with a cute picture ?

That way you can reach local people who are not yet cat owners.

Maybe you could put your telephone number on the advert and interview people over the phone and just gives the nice people the shelters address?

Ps.

I am sure he's not depressed because of what you did. It just wasn't a workable situation. This way is the best way for dear Oliver to be spoilt rotten at his new home.

batgirl1980
04-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Hey again.
Like I said in my PM's to you about the cutie..
don't be upset with yourself. You love Oliver, and I know you'll do what's right.

And also, try maybe enlisting your vet, or seeing if they have a place you can put a little sign up about Oliver, with his information and a cute paragraph or two (and photo! :D) .. because people come in and out of there, and someone might be looking or know someone who is.

And definetely when you see the lil guy on saturday, let him interact with you in front of the people who are adopting, and talk to them about oliver. That way not only can he get some great time with you, but also get a chance at being adopted quickly.

batgirl1980
04-14-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
What about a local newspaper ad, explaining how this beautiful sweet cat needs a loving 'one cat' furever home with a cute picture ?

That way you can reach local people who are not yet cat owners.

Maybe you could put your telephone number on the advert and interview people over the phone and just gives the nice people the shelters address?

Ps.

I am sure he's not depressed because of what you did. It just wasn't a workable situation. This way is the best way for dear Oliver to be spoilt rotten at his new home.

I agree.. with any ad, the newspaper or with the vet office, put your number, and screen the people before letting them go meet our Oliver. If they aren't willing to talk to you AND the shelter about him, then they don't deserve him one bit.

BastetsMum
04-14-2003, 04:08 PM
First of all that girl on the phone said a very nasty thing. He is not depressed because of what you did! I think thats just plain terrible what she said and that is NOT the way of shelter work. Some people have to give up their pets for very legitimate reasons. I would let someone know at the shelter what she said to you. It deters people from adopting again as well as people placing their animals in good care while they wait for a new furrever home.

As for Oliver. You did the right thing. I know you don't feel you did but you have. He needs a one cat place. I would do what the others suggested with newspaper adds, vet clinics and talking to people about him.

You are a wonderful meowmie. Don't ever forget that!

jenluckenbach
04-14-2003, 05:30 PM
My heart breaks for you. This seems like a no-win situation. But really, it only takes time. Is Oliver on Petfinder.com? On the petfinder site, even if he is not listed, there are 2 things you could do. At the top there is an icon, classified ads. Put an ad in about him. It is free. There is also a message board. Put him in the rescue forum. it is worth a try.

Miss Meow
04-14-2003, 06:54 PM
Could you display him as 'adoptable pet of the week' or something similar when you are next volunteering? You are probably the best person to talk about his qualities in a one-cat home.

Please don't beat yourself up about this. You did everything you could.